Predictions- England vs USA 12/06/10

I was talking to a Spanish guy about what they think of England and they genuinely think we are a quality side with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Terry, Johnson etc.

I think it is a case of the grass is always greener. I personally think that Spain are a better team than us but there is not much in it and I dont think the Spanish or Brazilians would ever see a match against England as a guaranteed victory and that is why we are in with a shout of winning the tournament.

In the last World Cup we did not play well, yet we still took a very good Portugal side to penalties with 10 men when it really mattered!

Not liking all the negativity in the room.

England 3-1 USA

Rooney 2 Dempsey

Lampard (pen)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last World Cup we did not play well, yet we still took a very good Portugal side to penalties with 10 men when it really mattered!

Just thinking about that....

The team that day...

01 P Robinson

02 G Neville

06 J Terry

05 R Ferdinand

03 A Cole

16 O Hargreaves

07 D Beckham (51 A Lennon )

04 S Gerrard

08 F Lampard

11 J Cole (65 P Crouch )

09 W Rooney

Beckham, Neville, Ferdinand, Hargreaves out...

Are we better or worse now ?

It should be a great atmosphere. I wouldn't worry too much about what goes on on the pitch!

I agree with RoyleArmy ( :shock: ) ... an uninspiring 1-1 draw.

Are we as good as Spain and Brasil? I'm afraid that's about the same as asking if Stoke are as good as Man Utd and Chelsea.

There's not that much to choose between the rest though. Spain and Brasil are streets ahead, then Argentina, Italy, Germany, France, Netherlands, Portugal and England are all pretty close. With at least one wild card from Africa or South America joining the party.

I agree with that Spain and Brazil are clearly the standout teams we are in the group behind them which I think is led by Holland. What I would like to see us do in the knockout stages is play Gerrad just behind Rooney with the 4 across the middle being Lennon Barry(If fit) Lampard and Joe Cole on the left when we are in trouble Gerrard can drop back into Midfield and when we push on support Rooney. Our problems in the last 2 tournaments have been our inability to keep the ball in midfield which has led to Portugal on 2 occasions controling the game and making us chase them and wearing us down physically which has led to us being dead on our feet by the time penalties come round and effectively lacking the strength mentally to win. After a slow start in 1990 we switched to 3-5-2 and started keeping the ball better which took us to the semi finals. If we match up with the bigger sides in midfield we will I think get beat (certainly against Spain)

So I'm going with 1-1 Lampard to score for England before landon Donavon equalises in the 2nd half for The US. England will go onto Semi finals where we will fall short to the Brazilians

I think England will win 2-1 (although I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw- the Yanks ain't as bas as they used to be).

I'm going to go for a John Terry goal- our central defenders nearly always chip in with the odd goal here and there.

Beyond Donovan, Dempsey and Howard, USA do not have very good players.

They do, however, play much better than the sum of their parts.

I generally don't make predictions, but I think if England get an early goal they'll be relatively comfortable.

England players, learn from Rio's mistake - protect yourself from Emile Heskey by disguising yourself as a goal.

Haha, It amazes me how long Emile has played in the top flight, he is a big centre forward who doesnt score goals but his strike partners love playing alongside him, Diego Forlan was given a couple of seasons at the scum and branded useless, who would you rather have in your team?

Haha, It amazes me how long Emile has played in the top flight, he is a big centre forward who doesnt score goals but his strike partners love playing alongside him, Diego Forlan was given a couple of seasons at the scum and branded useless, who would you rather have in your team?

In this team? Heskey - those who write him off so readily and absolutely only illustrate what they don't see in a game.

I suppose I rated O'Grady and actually dubbed him the 'lower league Heskey' long before Keith Hill did.

Why it's of such tremendous importance to have a free scoring centre-forward in a team which generally gets its goals from midfield, whoever plays upfront, I don't know. First and foremost it's the objective of a team to score goals.

Lay of Emile people, he has his role and is there with good reason - he's amongst the best of a bad bunch. :)

Beyond Donovan, Dempsey and Howard, USA do not have very good players.

They do, however, play much better than the sum of their parts.

I generally don't make predictions, but I think if England get an early goal they'll be relatively comfortable.

They've a few more than that- the centre half from Milan, Oneywu (sp?) I think. There's a bloke who is at Bolton who could have a cracking tournamnet (holding midfielder- I think his name is Holden). Quite a few of the Yanks play in the top flights of the big European leagues, they won't get very far in this tournament but I would have them in front of a lot of teams that get to the second round (and maybe one or two that get further).

What bothers me is the Yanks if not else are quick, strong and a threat from set-pieces - our weakness has been from set-pieces so that's a worry. Another problem we have is when teams run at as with pace and power, often we ball watch - that's not unique to the class of 2010 that goes back to as long as I can remember, Maradona in '86, Ekeke '90, Romania '98, Brazil '02 etc...

The Yanks are no longer a push over, they beat Australia 3-1 the other night a team i'm picking to finish behind the Krauts who we could possibly be playing in round 2. If we go in with the right attitude we should be ok, BUT we are notoriously slow starters in tournaments!

86 L v Portugal 0-1

88 L v Ireland 0-1

90 D v Ireland 1-1

92 D v Denmark 0-0

96 D v Switzerland 1-1

98 W v Tunisia 2-0

00 L (after being 2-0 up!!!) 2-3 v Portugal

02 D 1-1 v Sweden

04 L (after leading with seconds remaining!) 1-2 v France

06 W 1-0 v Paraguay

Agree with all of this... I keep telling everyone here the same - we are notoriously slow-starters... If we don't win I'll never hear the end of it here... :disappointed:

Come on England!

What bothers me is the Yanks if not else are quick, strong and a threat from set-pieces - our weakness has been from set-pieces so that's a worry. Another problem we have is when teams run at as with pace and power, often we ball watch - that's not unique to the class of 2010 that goes back to as long as I can remember, Maradona in '86, Ekeke '90, Romania '98, Brazil '02 etc...

The Yanks are no longer a push over, they beat Australia 3-1 the other night a team i'm picking to finish behind the Krauts who we could possibly be playing in round 2. If we go in with the right attitude we should be ok, BUT we are notoriously slow starters in tournaments!

86 L v Portugal 0-1

88 L v Ireland 0-1

90 D v Ireland 1-1

92 D v Denmark 0-0

96 D v Switzerland 1-1

98 W v Tunisia 2-0

00 L (after being 2-0 up!!!) 2-3 v Portugal

02 D 1-1 v Sweden

04 L (after leading with seconds remaining!) 1-2 v France

06 W 1-0 v Paraguay

Was at that Paraguay game and was interviewed as I was leaving the ground by the Chicago Tribune...the American Journo was all "you must be really pleased with that opening win etc". Think he was hoping for an upbeat, yeah, we stuck it to them response but just replied that "A win was a win and we needed to do better than that." Think the guy was really surprised at the lack of enthusiasm over the win.

Anyway...the England - USA game...2-1 England win with Gerrard scoring.

Edited by boundaryblue80