World Cup Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking like its going to Europe now :wink:

Just found out im working at the WC final so will be in to watch the game :grin:

Who do you work for? Are they hiring? That is probably at least a £1000 worth of perk.

Although I'm jealous I do hope you have a good time

Just thought I'd throw this in there.

Someone familiar with these things suggested to me the other night that Germany are generally better than England because they recruit from the officer class, whereas we pick squadies. She suggested that German footballers generally come from professional families or families of sportsfolk, whereas our players' mams and dads generally come from the trades.

Controversial. Just thought I'd cast that line to see whether anyone wants to bite.

I suppose our next discussion along those lines will depend on whether Mrs THill is aound next time I visit. Posh Sunday lunch or a trawl ofLondon boozers

I think it's a culture thing myself, seems that some of todays alleged top england footballers, are overpaid, drink too much, take drugs, and have shagging top of their priorities. it:wink:

Much as per above :wink:

Who do you work for? Are they hiring? That is probably at least a £1000 worth of perk.

Although I'm jealous I do hope you have a good time

I work for MATCH event services ,

Who do the Public Ticketing , Accommodation and hospitality

Just thought I'd throw this in there.

Someone familiar with these things suggested to me the other night that Germany are generally better than England because they recruit from the officer class, whereas we pick squadies. She suggested that German footballers generally come from professional families or families of sportsfolk, whereas our players' mams and dads generally come from the trades.

Controversial. Just thought I'd cast that line to see whether anyone wants to bite.

Don't really think someones social background makes too much of a difference really you can argue that Frank Lampard is from officers class as you put it and went to a private school. With the exception of a 20 minute spell against Germany was overall a disapointment in the tournament.

For me the big problem revolves around coaching and our attitude towards qualified technical coaches, over coaches who can shout alot. We have just over 130 Uefa Pro licence coaches in this country whereas in Spain their are well over 2000 its no surprise they are able to produce players like Villa, Xavi, and Iniesta who are technically miles ahead of anything we have we are starting to produce (according to Trevor brooking) the same level of qualified coaches as those on the continent but we are still along way behind.

Don't really think someones social background makes too much of a difference really you can argue that Frank Lampard is from officers class as you put it and went to a private school. With the exception of a 20 minute spell against Germany was overall a disapointment in the tournament.

For me the big problem revolves around coaching and our attitude towards qualified technical coaches, over coaches who can shout alot. We have just over 130 Uefa Pro licence coaches in this country whereas in Spain their are well over 2000 its no surprise they are able to produce players like Villa, Xavi, and Iniesta who are technically miles ahead of anything we have we are starting to produce (according to Trevor brooking) the same level of qualified coaches as those on the continent but we are still along way behind.

I agree about the coaching. Scandalously underrated in this country, for which we can blame the FA, whose head gob:censored:e in such things, Trevor Brooking, was on the radio yesterday, talking...erm...:censored:e.

I blame the players (following a change of heart after some of the stuff coming out in the weekend papers). James and Terry said the players were bored. I was bored sitting at home watching them. The players can't blame their backgrounds. They've been given every chance in life and it's up to them to have the right attitude when it counts. They didn't, and they failed because of it. Ho hum.

Ex-England players should now include:

James

Terry

Cashley

Lampard

Gerrard

Lennon

"SW-P"

Heskey

Barry (who is just arriving back in the England penalty area as I type, roughly near where Ozil crossed for Muller)

Crouch

Upson

Carragher

Isn't Brooking one of the main detractors of the English coaching methods? Indeed, isn't he a huge advocate of the national academy and introducing continental-style skill and technique training for youngsters, rather than the pace and power guff that currently gets drilled into them?

You're not the first to include Lennon on that list, but I think that's harsh - he's 23, has plenty of time to improve, and was far more impressive in the 2009/10 season than either SWP or Walcott.

Lennon's pretty arse. SWP is PROPER arse. At least Walcott can finish from time to time.

Isn't Brooking one of the main detractors of the English coaching methods? Indeed, isn't he a huge advocate of the national academy and introducing continental-style skill and technique training for youngsters, rather than the pace and power guff that currently gets drilled into them?

He's been advocating it from a position of power in the FA for some time. Advocating as in talking about it. Advocating as in doing sweet FA.

See what I done there?

The Spanish Pro License takes a lot longer to do too. Plus instead of it being something only for those managing at a decent level and the ressies/youth of the really big clubs its much more common. The manager of the Spanish equivalent of FC United will probably have one, plus as would the manager of the equivalent of our u16s.

Plus, given that there is so much money in our game its much easier for the top clubs to cherry pick the best youngsters from around the world (Macheda, Fabregas, Kakuta etc.) than to produce their own talent. Can you name a player who played for any of the English teams that qualified for Europe who played at least 10 league games for them, is a product of THEIR youth system from the last 7 years (so for example John Terry doesn't count) and eligible to play for England. I am really struggling . The same clubs have bought English young talent and made them better- Rooney and Walcott immediately spring to mind but they aren't producing that many.

If something is not done then you will find in the not too distant future that the English team is made up of players from the relegation zone of the Prem and the top half of the Championship. When you pit them against over half the Barcelona team (aka Spain) or Brazil its going to be ugly. England would also struggle against some of the other countries that have qualified for this world cup and quite a few that haven't.

He's been advocating it from a position of power in the FA for some time. Advocating as in talking about it. Advocating as in doing sweet FA.

See what I done there?

Plus how did he get that job, could it have been because he was commentating on football (and showing how little he knows about it), and the fact he played for West Ham "who once won the world cup" don't you know.

Brooking would be FIRST on my list to go- especially as he actually gets paid his salary from the FA.

It's a bit harsh to blame Brooking for being surrounded by a bunch of incompetent amateurs who clearly don't listen to him.

This is one of the fundamental problems in the FA - too few football people and too many amateur windbags with their own self-interests.

See what I done there?

I can, yes.

I share garcon's opinion on the matter; I think it's just that no one appears to listen to the one person who makes sense.

It's a bit harsh to blame Brooking for being surrounded by a bunch of incompetent amateurs who clearly don't listen to him.

This is one of the fundamental problems in the FA - too few football people and too many amateur windbags with their own self-interests.

The FA needs reorganising desperately. The chief of the cumbrian/norfolk/lincolnshire etc. FA has far too much of a say in the national picture. But the likes of Phil Gartside (chairman at Notlob, advocate of Premier League the sequel) is not the answer. But that is the situation they are in at the moment. I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest that since the Premier League was created the national team has gotten worse relatively. It might be because the Premier League has given the stars of lesser countries the opportunity to improve so making the standard of world football better as opposed to making England worse. Our golden generation is soon to be past it, and with the exception of Villa, Spurs and Everton none of our top clubs are interested in making/improving English talent.

I wish people would give up talking about the so called golden generation. It never existed.

You're right that the FA is a shambles, but handing responsibility for the national team to the Premier League - as advocated by the likes of Gartside and Whelan - would be even worse. Football club chairmen have consistently proved themselves incapable of acting in anything other than their own self-interests.

True dat. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair on Brooking, but if he thinks he's hamstrung by the FA structure and the amateur windbags and professional greedy gutses, he should come out and say so.

The FA is a joke, so maybe it's not all Brooking's fault. But he is a gob:censored:e.

Maradona has quit as manager :redcard:

Maradona was good up to a point, he could motivate his players brilliantly (as shown by how Argentina romped through their easy games). But he has a maaive ego and wobetide anyone whoever fell out with him (Cambiasso and Zanetti probably did and Riquelme definately did). Plus he was tactically inept. We tried a Maradonna a few times (Hoddell and Keegan) and neither worked.

Maradona was good up to a point, he could motivate his players brilliantly (as shown by how Argentina romped through their easy games). But he has a maaive ego and wobetide anyone whoever fell out with him (Cambiasso and Zanetti probably did and Riquelme definately did). Plus he was tactically inept. We tried a Maradonna a few times (Hoddell and Keegan) and neither worked.

I would hardly say Hoddle was tactically inept, the opposite if anything. His problem was that he was f-ing mental. Keegan on the other hand was tacticaly inept, a fool, mental and a :censored: And that banned word starts with an n, not a c

I would hardly say Hoddle was tactically inept, the opposite if anything. His problem was that he was f-ing mental. Keegan on the other hand was tacticaly inept, a fool, mental and a :censored: And that banned word starts with an n, not a c

Once we went behind under Keegan, we were gone.

Agree about Hoddle. I wasn't bothered about his whacko disabled theory; it was more Eilleen whatsername being in the world cup squad. Seriously crazy.