World Cup Thread

True dat. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair on Brooking, but if he thinks he's hamstrung by the FA structure and the amateur windbags and professional greedy gutses, he should come out and say so.

The FA is a joke, so maybe it's not all Brooking's fault. But he is a gob:censored:e.

Trouble is though the big clubs themselves are run by foreigners, have foreign players, have foreign managers and foreign coaches their interest in developing the next generation of English players seems negligible. Do man city's owners really now want to develop the next generation of players so they might be good in 10 years (when concievably the arabs could be gone) or do they want to buy Fernado Torres who might win the premier league for them now and help them sell Xamount more shirts in the far east.

The priorities of the English game at the top are all wrong at the moment and I am not for one minute expecting them to change anytime soon.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hardly say Hoddle was tactically inept, the opposite if anything. His problem was that he was f-ing mental. Keegan on the other hand was tacticaly inept, a fool, mental and a :censored: And that banned word starts with an n, not a c

I didn't say Hoddle was tactically inept I meant he was a well known player who many in his squad would have looked up to.

I didn't say Hoddle was tactically inept I meant he was a well known player who many in his squad would have looked up to.

I must admit, I thought you meant Hoddle was tactically inept.

Maradonna ... was tactically inept. We tried a Maradonna a few times (Hoddell and Keegan) and neither worked.

Had wanted Germany to win it, and certainly make the final as GER-HOL would have been a superb final. Will back Netherlands now, there's something I don't like about the Spanish that I can't quite place. At a loss as to what will actually happen on Sunday without Paul the Octopus to guide my predictions.

Had wanted Germany to win it, and certainly make the final as GER-HOL would have been a superb final. Will back Netherlands now, there's something I don't like about the Spanish that I can't quite place. At a loss as to what will actually happen on Sunday without Paul the Octopus to guide my predictions.

That's exactly my thinking on it. Come on you crazy Dutchies!

Despite the slow start too this world cup according to the sign in Cape Town 153 goals have been scored so far

In 2006 147 goals were scored

In 2002 164 goals were scored

In 1998 171 goals were scored

Not done that bad after shoddy group games,

Also attendances have done ok too

JOHANNESBURG — The World Cup total stadium attendance will pass 3 million at the Germany-Spain semifinal match on Wednesday.

FIFA says 2,997,000 people have attended the first 61 matches, for an average of 49,134 with three games left to play.

The figures place South Africa third in both categories, behind the 1994 tournament in the United States and the 2006 edition in Germany.

It would be nice to think FIFA might fine the Dutch FA their runner up prize for bringing the game into disrepute and hand out 6 match bans to all those who SHOULD have been sent off - De Jong, Van Bommel, Robben, Schneider.

But they won't. They never do.

Disgraceful.

It would be nice to think FIFA might fine the Dutch FA their runner up prize for bringing the game into disrepute and hand out 6 match bans to all those who SHOULD have been sent off - De Jong, Van Bommel, Robben, Schneider.

But they won't. They never do.

Disgraceful.

Yeah - thought Howard Webb handled it OK, though.

The way the Beeb and ITV pundits were talking you'd have thought he'd have had a shocker. Suppose supporting him when he was under-fire wouldn't have been very English thing to do, though......

Xavi and Iniesta weren't much better.

I don't remember seeing Xavi or Iniesta commit assault.

I felt sorry for Webb. He got alot of calls absolutely right, but if he had somehow managed to ignore the fact it was the World Cup final and hand out just punishments for some of the early Dutch tackles then we may have had a much better game ... or Holland really would have ended up with 7 men.

Edited by garcon

i dont get what alan hansen and mark lawrenson were saying about holland. they were obviously just the weaker of the two sides and we all know how difficult it is to break spain down. so their only chance of winning the game was to play how they did and stop spain playing. it wasnt pretty to watch and i think howard webb could have let the game flow a bit more but to say 'football won' and holland deserved to lose is harsh and unfair. i thought they matched spain for long times in the game and were unlucky even though spains class eventually won the game

I'd class De Jong's tackle as assault and a straight red every single time. And Van Bommel committed his average two red card tackles per game.

And no I do not see how Holland can possibly be defended for their approach. Setting out to close a team down is one thing, but setting out to deliberately MOW them down is quite another. There was no excuse for that performance or those tactics. Are we honestly saying that Spain are so far superior to the second best team in the tournament that they had no option but to employ such disgraceful tactics?