World Cup Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but if you go into ifs and buts you also need to admit we really should have been about 4-1 down by then.

And there's no point moaning about it when a bad decision goes against us when all we've done for 44 years is laugh in the faces of people who point at the goal we scored that didn't go in...

It's highly likely that it wouldn't, but that really isn't the point. The point is that we scored a perfectly good goal and we were deprived of it. Nobody knows what would have happened if that goal had stood and we never will know.

:lol:

Absolutely we should have lost that game 4-2

England are not good enough end of.

It was an absolute joke that today. I don't understand why FIFA are so against goal line technology. It is such a simple thing yet so effective. It wasn't even needed today though. Everyone in the ground apart from the officials could see it was over the line. It was so blatant it's unbelievable.

all they need to do is give the fourth official access to a tv replay. still uses human judgement and not computers like in tennis or cricket and it won't interrupt the game too much. the fourth officials never have anything to do anyway. i dont see why something simple and so easy to apply in top class football isnt used.

It was an absolute joke that today. I don't understand why FIFA are so against goal line technology. It is such a simple thing yet so effective. It wasn't even needed today though. Everyone in the ground apart from the officials could see it was over the line. It was so blatant it's unbelievable.

Exactly. Anyone with fully functioning eyes could see that was over the line (it took me 10 minutes to realise it hadn't been disallowed for offside/a foul). Ask any St Helens fans after the Grand Final last October if video replays are the answer. Video refs can be just as inept and corrupt as anyone. :ranting:

I'm as disappointed in the BBC's choice of soundtrack for England's exit as anything else. After scanning the charts for what miserable crap was in there, i was convinced it was going to be The Cave by Mumford & Sons. Nothing Lasts Forever? Really? A crap Britpop song from an 80s band?

Exactly. Anyone with fully functioning eyes could see that was over the line (it took me 10 minutes to realise it hadn't been disallowed for offside/a foul). Ask any St Helens fans after the Grand Final last October if video replays are the answer. Video refs can be just as inept and corrupt as anyone. :ranting:

I'm as disappointed in the BBC's choice of soundtrack for England's exit as anything else. After scanning the charts for what miserable crap was in there, i was convinced it was going to be The Cave by Mumford & Sons. Nothing Lasts Forever? Really? A crap Britpop song from an 80s band?

That would have been a very fitting tune. Nice choice.

Equally, Chaos Theory suggests England may have lost 12-2. We'll never know.

Or in the unlikely event that we won the match, then went on to be outclassed by an Argentinian side who have a single player with more talent in his little toe than our whole team put together.

True, but if you go into ifs and buts you also need to admit we really should have been about 4-1 down by then.

And there's no point moaning about it when a bad decision goes against us when all we've done for 44 years is laugh in the faces of people who point at the goal we scored that didn't go in...

My very thought when I realised what had happened was that if we didn't win, we were on 44 years of payback time. Then, to make matters worse, the only German I spoke to last night told me I should be proud of the way our team played and refused to gloat. Bastard.

I thought it was only oldham that got :censored: refs but the ref's this world cup have been crap, red cards that should have been yellows, fouls that you would only get on a video game. Who ever job it is at fifa to sort the ref's out should be down the job centre now looking for a new job but instead fifa will back them and give them a 4 figure pay rise.

Result. Too excited to work so I have been slacking with a couple of tinnies, but held off going to the pub just long enough to take a half-expected call from my FD whilst I was still in front of my computer. What a pro!

Incidentally, how's this for a c :censored: 's trick? Another of the bosses called me in the middle of the first half (it being about 6.30 PM here) and asked me if I could send him a report THAT EVENING. Sure mate, so long as I manage not to fall asleep in a dustbin on my way home. He then asked me to send it first thing in the morning, smug in the fact that he doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't like football and gets up at 5 in the morning to pray.

Incidentally, how's this for a c :censored: 's trick? Another of the bosses called me in the middle of the first half (it being about 6.30 PM here) and asked me if I could send him a report THAT EVENING. Sure mate, so long as I manage not to fall asleep in a dustbin on my way home. He then asked me to send it first thing in the morning, smug in the fact that he doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't like football and gets up at 5 in the morning to pray.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Equally, Chaos Theory suggests England may have lost 12-2. We'll never know.

Quite possibly yes although having sobered up now I think its fair to say England were outclassed by a side whose midfield passing and movement was far more fluid compared to Englands midfield which was static and lacking in width and ideas and who's defending was bordering on comedy.

I'm sure the tales of injuries and disruption in the camp will be revealed in time.

I do wonder how much the John Terry / Wayne Bridge situation contributed to everything.

It changed the dynamics within the squad at a crucial time, and I don't think things ever quite got back to what they were.

(and I don't think Fabio could have won whatever decision he'd made in response to that situation).

I'm sure the tales of injuries and disruption in the camp will be revealed in time.

I do wonder how much the John Terry / Wayne Bridge situation contributed to everything.

It changed the dynamics within the squad at a crucial time, and I don't think things ever quite got back to what they were.

(and I don't think Fabio could have won whatever decision he'd made in response to that situation).

Re: Bridge/Terry I'm not sure if that had any effect, Wayne Bridge is obviously well liked (and one of his best mates was in the squad- SWP) but bar Bridge (and maybe one or two others) I don't think many hated Terry. Capello made the right decision there for me, sack Terry as Captain (although I wouldn't have replaced him with Ferdinand/Gerrard) and let Bridge make his mind up. If Ashley Cole was still injured then it would have been a big issue, as whilst Warnock/Baines are good Bridge for me is that little bit better. As for Cole, he was one of England's better players.

As to why England did so badly, quite simply we aren't good enough. Forget how the Premier League is one of (if not the best) leagues in the world, at international level it doesn't matter how good your league is (if it did England and Italy wouldn't be home). Ferdinand and Terry are good but when it comes to top quality opposition we needed both of them as without one we are either too slow or too lightweight (especially when you consider who else was unavailable). Key injuries in key positions were a reasonable factor, our second, third, and possibly fourth centre backs were all out injured (Ferdinand, Jagielka, King). I'm not sure now but prior to getting injured Owen Hargeaves wouldn't have got done for pace as badly as Barry did.

Our selection policy also seems wrong, its all well and good picking Heskey when you are playing Kasakstan because he brings the best out of Rooney and Gerrard but when you are playing in the world cup you need a forward you actually scores goals as well as help set them up (I've never seen Heskey play a killer ball). I'd have more confidence in about half a dozen Enlgish strikers putting the chance Heskey got against the Yanks away, all of whom offer something else around the field. Gerrard is a good player but he can't play wide left, neither can Rooney; Joe Cole is decent but he hardly played.

Football tends to go in cycles, this world cup cycle has seen teams who play through the middle do well but chinks are starting to show in that armour (see Switzerland v. Spain). Maybe something different next time is required. (like wingers). Fabio blamed tiredness, has he actually counted the games and he forgets that due to the bad weather we did have a mini christmas break of sorts. Premiership players like Dempsey, Mascherano, Pantsil, Kuyt are all still there and Fulham's season started in July (I think you will struggle to finda team that's played more games in the last 12 months, with players still in the world cup than the one from the Cottage).

If I was England manager, I'd pick the squad as normal and then in the next game (which will no doubt be a friendly) pick a team from players who either didn't go to the world cup or didn't start (and Ferdinand doesn't count). Maybe, just maybe that will give that overhyped bunch of :censored: the kick up the arse they obviously need (as I think one or two have gotten complacent), plus we may find one or two players who whilst maybe not being as good can actually reproduce their club form on the international stage.