World Cup Thread

No he was right - it was sickening. Whilst before the game I had no particular affinity for Uruguay the ITV commentary was so biased I ended turning the sound off - well done to Uruguay and gppd riddance to the Ghanians and all their historionics. If Rooney had done what Suaraz did in the same circumstances he would have be a national hero !

Hang on, are we having a go at Ghana or ITV? The Ghanaians didn't hire their commetary team. I thought their team was excellent, they kicked England's arse for discipline, workrate and willingness to show up and be counted. Do England do, "triangles," in training, because they work pretty well for Germany and Ghana.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly saw the ball move off the floor during the first half of ARG - GER. That's how football should be played. Our style of play, whilst when done well is exciting, it just doesn't work when up against the best proponents of the modern, short passing game.

I hardly saw the ball move off the floor during the first half of ARG - GER. That's how football should be played. Our style of play, whilst when done well is exciting, it just doesn't work when up against the best proponents of the modern, short passing game.

Agree completely, but that is how Ghana killed USA for one isn't it? And nearly got through last night, so credit where it's due?

Agree completely, but that is how Ghana killed USA for one isn't it? And nearly got through last night, so credit where it's due?

USA was probably their best performance. But USA are dog sh....

USA was probably their best performance. But USA are dog sh....

This is also true, although you could argue that they rely on the same virtues as Ghana and Germany. It was especially pleasant for me in the current climate to see the Americans use their famed superior fitness to spend the whole first half running round in circles like the kid with no mates in the PE lesson. Ghana do deserve some credit I think, however much they picked up the Africa hype.

Best players in world football (it's their tournament!!) proclaimed before the tournament were......Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Torres, Kaka....

What a crock of fooking :censored:e!!!!

Maybe I'm just getting on a bit .... but I think it's been the worst World Cup in my lifetime.

Best players in world football (it's their tournament!!) proclaimed before the tournament were......Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Torres, Kaka....

What a crock of fooking :censored:e!!!!

I'd agree with one caveat. Torres plays in England so naturally our media especially those owned by the same bloke who controls the rights to the Premier League (something which I think has gotten way beyond a coincidence) big him up. I wonder if you had asked the Spanish who was the better player 5 weeks ago, (even 5 months or even 20 months ago) who was the better player Torres or Villa how many would have said Villa. Messi has looked good in parts, so has Kaka, the other 3 have shown just how overrated they are. If you had asked me who the top 5 players in the world are 6 weeks ago I'd have said Messi, Sneijder, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa (in no particular order).

I'd agree with one caveat. Torres plays in England so naturally our media especially those owned by the same bloke who controls the rights to the Premier League (something which I think has gotten way beyond a coincidence) big him up. I wonder if you had asked the Spanish who was the better player 5 weeks ago, (even 5 months or even 20 months ago) who was the better player Torres or Villa how many would have said Villa. Messi has looked good in parts, so has Kaka, the other 3 have shown just how overrated they are. If you had asked me who the top 5 players in the world are 6 weeks ago I'd have said Messi, Sneijder, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa (in no particular order).

If it's not hindsight, that's a decent call.

Messi for me has been the only one out of that overpaid set of bloody fairies to come out with any credit.

World football (s.Korea, Ghana, Asia in general, Africa - are all catching up to the overpaid European superstars - good!!!)

If it's not hindsight, that's a decent call.

Messi for me has been the only one out of that overpaid set of bloody fairies to come out with any credit.

World football (s.Korea, Ghana, Asia in general, Africa - are all catching up to the overpaid European superstars - good!!!)

It is a bit because I'd forgotten how good David Villa is. The best game I saw in the last 6 months was Valencia v. Werder Bremen in the Europa League (I think it finished 4-4 to Valencia) the two standout players from either side- Villa and Ozil. Now I don't think it is a coincidence. And Sneijder is a treble winner for a reason.

Barcelona are looking very good again now they have 4 of those

And the best players in the tournament have been Mueller, Villa, Sneijder and possibly Forlan, none of whom play in our Premier league and so weren't hyped up in the same way. Coincidence or not, I don't think so. Yes the Premier league pays the biggest money and is drooled over by our media but it doesn't mean it has the best players on current form. This is the problem why expectations on England's chances always far exceed the evidence and the reality.

If any of the players would have done the same then why should he get an award?

Like I said, I'd do the same as well as the rules accommodate what happened last night. They shouldn't.

Why a medal for Suarez? Because he done it.

Anyway, the rules accommodate what he done because no one ever thought of that scenario before. You can't blame anyone for that.

This is the problem why expectations on England's chances always far exceed the evidence and the reality.

The evidence, 12 months ago, for England to be a significant contributor to this World Cup was high.

A combination of club form, international form, injuries, humping the left back's ex and tactical predictability has seen a decline over the key build up period, resulting in the :censored:e that was provided to the nation during the last few weeks.

Edited by opinions4u

The evidence, 12 months ago, for England to be a significant contributor to this World Cup was high.

A combination of club form, international form, injuries, humping the left back's ex and tactical predictability has seen a decline over the key build up period, resulting in the :censored:e that was provided to the nation during the last few weeks.

Why was it high, not on my reckoning. The WC qualifying group was easy, England managed to beat teams like Slovenia, Japan, Egypt and Mexico in friendlies. If they had to play Germany, Holland or Spain for example in the last year might have got a better idea on how poor we really are.

Why was it high, not on my reckoning. The WC qualifying group was easy, England managed to beat teams like Slovenia, Japan, Egypt and Mexico in friendlies. If they had to play Germany, Holland or Spain for example in the last year might have got a better idea on how poor we really are.

The list of friendlies you give merely highlights the period of time where I said we were deterioriating.

We drew 2-2 with Holland last August.

Prior to that we lost 2-0 to Spain in the February but beat the Germans 2-1 three months earlier. All games in the last 19 months.

So a win, a defeat and a draw against World Cup semi-finalists ... draw a conclusion. It certainly didn't indicate that our boys would deliver the :censored:e they came up with in June.

The team was progressing up until the start of last season.

Edited by opinions4u

Just thought I'd throw this in there.

Someone familiar with these things suggested to me the other night that Germany are generally better than England because they recruit from the officer class, whereas we pick squadies. She suggested that German footballers generally come from professional families or families of sportsfolk, whereas our players' mams and dads generally come from the trades.

Controversial. Just thought I'd cast that line to see whether anyone wants to bite.

Someone familiar with these things suggested to me the other night that Germany are generally better than England because they recruit from the officer class, whereas we pick squadies. She suggested that German footballers generally come from professional families or families of sportsfolk, whereas our players' mams and dads generally come from the trades.

Controversial. Just thought I'd cast that line to see whether anyone wants to bite.

I'm not agreeing, however its an interesting point. Also depends on the splits between sports in your country. Germans obviously dont play rugby or cricket - imagine if all thsoe people in this country who play those sports (arguably your officer class) played football instead... much bigger talent pool.

Id imagine as you say Football is the rugby of germany.... with Handball, Ice Hockey, and other random sports making up the rest...

I'd imagine the percentage of sports folk who play footie is higher in germany... plus those who do may have more respect for rules, professionalism etc...

Not sure which is more ridiculous - the point made in post 420 or post 419 ? :)

Anyway, the rules accommodate what he done because no one ever thought of that scenario before.

Speak for yourself.

And even if no one had ever envisaged that scenario before, now it's happened then perhaps it would be time for a rethink.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I think it's a culture thing myself, seems that some of todays alleged top england footballers, are overpaid, drink too much, take drugs, and have shagging top of their priorities. it:wink:

It is a bit because I'd forgotten how good David Villa is. The best game I saw in the last 6 months was Valencia v. Werder Bremen in the Europa League (I think it finished 4-4 to Valencia) the two standout players from either side- Villa and Ozil. Now I don't think it is a coincidence. And Sneijder is a treble winner for a reason.

Barcelona are looking very good again now they have 4 of those

Really?