World Cup Thread

As far as I know (and I dont know tbh) but don't you still have to score the penalty to get all 7 points? I know its a sitter, but if the guy puts the kick wide, do they get 0 points or 5 points?

5 and its called a conversion, I'm not sure it has ever happened though.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know (and I dont know tbh) but don't you still have to score the penalty to get all 7 points? I know its a sitter, but if the guy puts the kick wide, do they get 0 points or 5 points?

As rudemedic says, you get the 5 points regardless.

To miss a conversion in front of the posts is akin to that Ronnie Rosenthal miss that turns up on all the silly football DVDs each Christmas. I've never known it happen.

In my book, the only argument against awarding the goal in football is "well, what if the ref made a mistake?". Which is effectively an argument against having a referee!

The problem with arguing that Uruguay cheated to stop the goal, is that the beloved Ghana folk, who'd never cheat as they are as honest as the day is long, cheated to get the free kick beforehand.

Deservedly out. And frankly I'm glad that the African nations are gone. The 'do it for Africa' crap that has been going on has been an afront to all of us, backing the travesty of FIFA being bribed by their votes to hold the World Cup over there.

Deservedly out. And frankly I'm glad that the African nations are gone. The 'do it for Africa' crap that has been going on has been an afront to all of us

Given that half of the African nations are at war with each other, I buy what you say!

I felt a bit sad tbh for the Ghanians, played with passion, power, pace, energy and with a smile on their face. The shots of them getting off the coach entering the stadium, dancing and laughing with each other made a refreshing change from the serious, glum faced, big time charlies we've all come to loathe this world cup.

It puts the punishment of a deliberate hand ball on the line into perspective - last kick of the game, well worth saving the game, a sending off and a 1 game ban, he now has the potential to play in a world cup final.

Given that half of the African nations are at war with each other, I buy what you say!

Yep, we should immediately crack down on them getting along for once and all being friends :lol:

What pisses me off is the clamour to change the rules over every single bloody incident, it would only result in some opposite injustice down the road. The rules have stood the test of time, leave them alone!

Yep, we should immediately crack down on them getting along for once and all being friends :lol:

What pisses me off is the clamour to change the rules over every single bloody incident, it would only result in some opposite injustice down the road. The rules have stood the test of time, leave them alone!

It's not the specific incident that has caused me to suggest that the rule should be changed. I have posted the same suggestion before and I'm sure there are gazillions of others who've thought it, discussed it in the pub or written to Points of View or wherever!

There isn't a lot that I'd change in the rules, but cheating to avoid conceding a goal should surely be punished with a goal being awarded. If I was suggesting something outrageously radical, perhaps 2 goals is a more appropriate punishment :wink: .

As for other rules that should be changed, offside should be a direct free kick (not to encourage goalscoring from such free kicks, but simply to avoid the referee sticking his arm in the air for no good purpose) and the offside rule should be simplified.

Aprart from that, it's a pretty decent sport.

And bring on the discussion of awarding a goal for a handball on the line. Absolute joke.

If they beat Netherlands then Suarez will be playing in the final. We all would have done the same but it's a joke.

Gutted for Ghana.

I reckon Suarez should get an award for that. Calculated sacrifice. Any of the Ghana players would have done the same.

I reckon Suarez should get an award for that. Calculated sacrifice. Any of the Ghana players would have done the same.

Don't get me wrong. Absolutely the right thing to do (defensively) with the rules as they stand. I'd have done exactly the same.

Bias against Uruguay yesterday was sickening. I don't care if they are Black or African, why the special treatment?

Although unlucky yesterday, Ghana have been :censored:e and are not worthy of a semi-final spot, fairytale or no fairytale. Yet all we hear is how much they have brought to the tournament...blah blah blah

If any of the players would have done the same then why should he get an award?

Like I said, I'd do the same as well as the rules accommodate what happened last night. They shouldn't.

FIFA have confirmed that Uruguay striker Luis Suarez could miss the rest of the World Cup following his hand-ball against Ghana. at least the cheat will miss the final if they get there

Don't tell Rudemedic that. It might mean he's right and I'm wrong!

(Wonder if the Ghana player who conned the ref in to giving a free kick that led to the penalty incident will also get banned).

Don't tell Rudemedic that. It might mean he's right and I'm wrong!

(Wonder if the Ghana player who conned the ref in to giving a free kick that led to the penalty incident will also get banned).

If we are going to ban players for diving/cheating this World Cup, there won't be enough players to field one team never mind of the same nationality.

They can't ban him for the final just because it was an important match he got sent off in, that would make FIFA look like incompetent bafoons. Oh.

how good are germany? they are one of the only teams in the tournament that work for each other and not for themselves like england, brazil, italy, france etc.

never liked them but you have to admire the way they play, shut out players like messi and tevez and make it look easy.

how good are germany? they are one of the only teams in the tournament that work for each other and not for themselves like england, brazil, italy, france etc.

never liked them but you have to admire the way they play, shut out players like messi and tevez and make it look easy.

They all work tirelessly, and the speed at which they turn defense into attack is pretty extraordinary. And it's bloody good to watch.

It's like when Leeds ahd that team with Kewell, Smith, etc.

You found them likeable, which is dirtier than Gerty.

Maybe 'sickening' is too strong a word, but it was all a bit cringe worthy.

No he was right - it was sickening. Whilst before the game I had no particular affinity for Uruguay the ITV commentary was so biased I ended turning the sound off - well done to Uruguay and gppd riddance to the Ghanians and all their historionics. If Rooney had done what Suaraz did in the same circumstances he would have be a national hero !

Messi's been pretty quiet this tournament hasn't he? Practically anonymous today. I can't help thinking it might have something to do with how uncomfortable he looks every time Maradona hugs him and pats him on the arse. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a best-selling book in the Painful Lives section of Waterstone's by Christmas called Touched By The Hand Of God.

Messi's shown glimpses.

Argentina have had their moments.

But, so far, there has been no stand-out team.

Perhaps the momentum of the German teamwork is going to be the key to winning the competition. £2 at 16/1 last month is looking like a good value investment!