World Cup Thread

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Webb got most of his decisions right but failed really to control the game.

The final was in keeping with the rest of the tournament...hardly a classic but entertaining enough. Roll on August 9th.

Awful overhyped washout of a cup. Terrible what passes for football these days.

Yay! Got a whole season of 3rd division nonsense to look forward to in less than a month.

Although, after watching this garbage for the last month, perhaps people's expectations of what to expect from the lads at BP might be a bit lower than in the last few years and almost at a realistic level?

Would be good to say that football was the winner at a world cup but I don't think you can do so in this case, there has only been one winner and that is Fifa's bank account.

Awful overhyped washout of a cup. Terrible what passes for football these days.

Yay! Got a whole season of 3rd division nonsense to look forward to in less than a month.

Although, after watching this garbage for the last month, perhaps people's expectations of what to expect from the lads at BP might be a bit lower than in the last few years and almost at a realistic level?

Would be good to say that football was the winner at a world cup but I don't think you can do so in this case, there has only been one winner and that is Fifa's bank account.

the world cup competition itself was a good one the only overhyped washout pieces of :censored: were our "in there own minds i'm better than anybody else " people ie= fat boy rooney,i love myself terry ,cashly cole ,and all the other :censored: who get vast amounts of money for being average !spain deserved their win for playing with passion,something lacking in our players :ranting:

Would i be right in thinking that New Zealand were the only unbeaten team of the tournament? :shock:

Not a classic of a final but having put a fiver on Spain at the start of the world cup i'm not complaining at all. And Robben's usual amateur dramatics, combined with his colleagues' persistent lack of punctuality in the tackle/outright GBH, more than justifies any Spanish players falling over a bit too easily. Nice gesture by Iniesta after the goal as well.

Would i be right in thinking that New Zealand were the only unbeaten team of the tournament? :shock:

Not a classic of a final but having put a fiver on Spain at the start of the world cup i'm not complaining at all. And Robben's usual amateur dramatics, combined with his colleagues' persistent lack of punctuality in the tackle/outright GBH, more than justifies any Spanish players falling over a bit too easily. Nice gesture by Iniesta after the goal as well.

British Virgin Islands were the only unbeaten team throughout the qualifying and finals.

I think the term Dirty Dutch will have a new meaning after that final.

Not sure there is much for England to learn from the last few World Cups though, of how to win the damn thing.

The Dutch bottle it at the crucial stage more than the English or even Shez!

I thought Howard Webb handled a very difficult game well last night.

I thought all the yellow cards he gave were all justified and the only criticism I would have of him was that a couple of them (De Jong and Van Bommel) could and maybe should have been red.

The right team won IMO, only one team was interested in playing any football and for that reason I'm glad Spain won.

Kicking the opposition off the park because you can't match their footballing ability isn't a great tactic, the Dutch are better than that and didn't need to resort to those tactics.

I thought Howard Webb handled a very difficult game well last night.

I thought all the yellow cards he gave were all justified and the only criticism I would have of him was that a couple of them (De Jong and Van Bommel) could and maybe should have been red.

The right team won IMO, only one team was interested in playing any football and for that reason I'm glad Spain won.

Kicking the opposition off the park because you can't match their footballing ability isn't a great tactic, the Dutch are better than that and didn't need to resort to those tactics.

I concur.

Torres is a lucky lad mind...

I said the same thing last night... however...

OptaJoao: 4 - Holland have comitted the most fouls in four of the last seven #worldcups in which they have competed (inc. 2010). Physical.

Everyone bow down before the mighty Spaniards! Thou SHALT roll over and let them stroke it around nonchalantly for ninety minutes!

Rubbish.

I'm all for the physical side of the game. I'm filthy when I play (ask Slash or Raggy).

It just disappointed me that a team with Holland's ability didn't try and at least match the Spanish for invention. Aside from a couple of sublime through balls which Robben managed to mess up they really didn't cut the Spanish open (well, aside from literally!) enough for me.

Everyone bow down before the mighty Spaniards! Thou SHALT roll over and let them stroke it around nonchalantly for ninety minutes!

Rubbish.

Or

Everyone bow down to the mighty Dutch or get kicked to f**k, don't try to pass or play any football.

Now thats rubbish.

When Stoke/Blackburn kick Arsenal everyone tells Wenger to shut up and stop moaning, when Holland kick Spain it's an outrage.

Aside from De Jong's kung fu kick, there was nothing overly dangerous. If Holland had tried to play football like Spain do they'd have been mullered. It wasn't pretty but was their best chance of winning the game.

It just disappointed me that a team with Holland's ability didn't try and at least match the Spanish for invention.

They only had Sneijder and Robben capable of producing anything. Lo and behold, whenever either of those two got the ball they looked threatening! When they didn't have the ball, the Dutch played their other game plan. Fair enough, surely.

I wish people would stop propagating this myth that ALL the Dutch did was boot people up in the air for two hours. Similarly, Spain have been, for large portions of the tournament, dull as dishwater. It was the same last night. They're an incredibly tight unit, but to say they're the purveyors of this glorious brand of football that everyone harps on about is some way off the mark.

So amongst the mountain of Dutch red cards, Puyol was very lucky when he pulled Robben back. I haven't found any team that entertaining really, with the exception of Ghana. They really gave it a go.

Mine was New Zealand. Only unbeaten team at the 2010 World Cup.

What were the odds on that!?