Eaves to Bolton

I got told on Tuesday that Eaves was going to move to Bolton for £350k. I didn't believe it at the time but it could be an accurate figure

I think its certainly more accurate than the 200k that some on here are taking as gospel, despite the fact that we rejected 250k from blackpool not long ago

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly we do not know how much we've got for Eaves but if we take the general assumption that it is £200-£250k plus add ons, that really doesn't seem too bad to me. Like it or not, we are currently in a very perilous financial situation. We have no backers and so need to be as close to self sustaining as possible. This money will go a long way towards keeping us going for the next few months.

I've not got any statistics, but how many teenagers from League one have been sold for more than £200k in the last three years? I would guess not many, and would be even more convinced if that was extended to teenage strikers who have never scored a competitive first team goal.

It would have been nice to get more, but presumably there wasn't any more on offer. We've been told that three clubs were after him but the size of the transfer fee must reflect what all three of those clubs perceived as his value.

As for whether the club should tell us the fee, I don't understand the argument. It is, as has been stated in this thread, common practice not to disclose fees these days for a number of reasons. It cannot be in our best interests to have other clubs knowing how much we have received as we try to negotiate other deals. This is particularly relavant due to the complexity of most transfers. To give a full disclosure of the fee, you would have to start quoting agents fees, signing on fees etc. which would breach confidence with third parties. The fact that the Trust has a shareholding doesn't really change anything. The transfer fee will be in the annual accounts next year at which point we will get to find out. In the mean time, I wouldn't expect shareholders to be given this type of information.

Great post easily the best on this thread and everyone has missed the bit in bold aswell

Edited by GlossopLatic

Anyone specualting on targets needs to realise that any money coming in will simply go to the we-owe-TTA-a-shed-load fund. Dickov will not see a cent.

Like Ed has asked, is this a given or an assumption? Have Blitz and Gazal stipulated that any revenue/profit over and above the budget they helped set be diverted to paying off their director's loans?

I've seen nothing suggesting it will be called in, however I have heard Blitz say that he wouldn't, though that was long before he left (and beggars the question of why he didn't just write them off?!).

I'm perhaps being naive, but I don't think Blitz/Gazal will claim back every pound they can asap. I reckon they're happy to have drawn a line under their losses, for the time being at least. They've never struck me as investing more than they could afford, and if they were that desperate for their money back wouldn't they instruct the likes of Taylor and Stephens be touted around for sale?

I suppose the question boils down to, "Has Eaves been sold in the interests of the club or in the interests of asset stripping?" I reckon it's the former, and thus why the Sunderland lads have apparently been brought in with this money. :wink:

QUOTE (Erratic_Latic @ Aug 12 2010, 10:16 AM)

What feckin use is £200k?

What's the point of a 5 year contract and then let him go for peanuts? Isn't the point of a long term deal is to hold out for a better deal?

Surely the correct strategy would have been to play him in every game until January, let him bang a few goals to raise his profile and value, and then see if we could get £500k in January? Couldn't the money men have held out for 5 months to get a better return??

totally agree.........but with alan `don`t panic` hardy as our main negotiation man.............no chance........never has happened.........never will !!!!!!!

er, cos we might discover Eaves was not the new Dixie Dean, and worth 2s 6p.

Or he got injured

Or his form dipped

Some people like the deal, some don't. It's great when people are allowed to air their views, not so when one faction tries to convince the others are wrong. Futile.

For the record, I think OAFC will regret seemingly being too quick to accept this deal. Possibly conditioned into making a fast decision by virtue of stalling on others like Taylor and Porter and getting rock-all, they've erred on the side of caution this time but and sold short.

Thanks anyway Bolton sir, *tugs on forelock*, much obliged sir, sorry to have been a nuisance.

I wonder what Corporal Jones makes of Bolton being in a position to make speculative purchases of our best young talent?

:peepwall:

thats assuming young eaves was our best young talent????

bembo leta starts his first game in the cup and scores his first goal,id be more inclined to look down that road along with brooke,who got chopped down.

eaves didnt score a first team goal or make a telling contribution,like others have previously or may do in the future...

rummy...everyone i think in general likes good open honest healthy debate over all things latics and football and the like in general...what gets my goat is the simple fact certain people moan and groan without first knowing the full facts,and just for the sake of having a go at the club....difference of opinions are what makes the world go round,but constant slagging doesnt do any good to anyone.

rummy...everyone i think in general likes good open honest healthy debate over all things latics and football and the like in general...what gets my goat is the simple fact certain people moan and groan without first knowing the full facts,and just for the sake of having a go at the club....difference of opinions are what makes the world go round,but constant slagging doesnt do any good to anyone.

There are far too many, both on here and on the rarely wrong Chron site who just moan and slag for the sake of it.

bembo leta starts his first game in the cup and scores his first goal,id be more inclined to look down that road along with brooke,who got chopped down.

eaves didnt score a first team goal or make a telling contribution,like others have previously or may do in the future...

A goal does not make a player. DJ, with due respect to a good footballer, is not half the player Tom Eaves is.

Claiming Eaves had 15 games when many of those were like the 11 minutes he had against Carlisle, when we were 2-1 up and doing nothing more than punt it long, is doing a disservice to a very talented young player.

Don't know how anybody can moan about the deal when -

1/ they dont know the facts

2/ Latics are in financial difficulties.

Any cash now deal with add ons has got to be good.

We can't possibly miss him becuase he ain't played for us for any great length of time.

We certainly wont miss his goals cos he aint scored any ???

Cash will help us this season plus if Bolton can develop him into a much better player then we could possibily reap rewards for that in the future.

Shades of Wayne Harrison and we all know now that the cash latics got was a steal.

And that's assuming I meant 'best talent' in the singular. :wink: If we're having our mediocre youths chased by Premiership clubs then happy days!

I never cease to be amazed at how much a goal, or lack of, can influence some peoples opinion of a striker who has played minimal games.

Bollocks, I remember Royle let Irwin go for a pittance.

Royle signed Irwin on a free from Leeds and sold him to United for £625k four years later (according to soccerbase, although I always thought it was 875k).

In the circumstances that's not bad business. We knew he was good, of course, but I don't think anyone honestly predicted he'd be the best full back in the league for a decade.

Edited by garcon

A goal does not make a player. DJ, with due respect to a good footballer, is not half the player Tom Eaves is.

Claiming Eaves had 15 games when many of those were like the 11 minutes he had against Carlisle, when we were 2-1 up and doing nothing more than punt it long, is doing a disservice to a very talented young player.

thats why healthy debate is good,and each has there own opinions on things and players in general.

bemob leta was held back slightly last season in ressies as he was played out of position in midfield,when he is prefferably a striker...

yes eaves broke into the first team,yes he didnt get many if any full games,yes last seasons team and general play was appauling...but if he is as talented as he is being portrayed then surely he would have had a point to prove and tried harder to make an impact...

only time will tell now wont it.....the fact that it hasnt been mentioned that he can come back on a season long loan would suggest the manager is happy to go with what we have.