Eaves to Bolton

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are far too many, both on here and on the rarely wrong Chron site who just moan and slag for the sake of it.

Can't tar everyone with the same brush here, I think this is the first time I've posted a negative rant. And I don't think it's right to call people thick for making valid points. Most points made in this thread are valid.

I take on board people's points about cashing in while we can, but not so much the points about risk of his value falling, leaving on a Bosman, etc.

Firstly, he has played a handful of competitive games in Division 3, mostly (or all?) substitute appearances, has scored no competitive goals, and hasn't exactly transformed the games that he's played in. Comments from the Reebok stadium noted that "he is a long way from the finished article" and "we will develop him step by step for a period of time until he is ready to start challenging for first team places" - strongly suggesting that he will see very little, if any, first team action this season. At the moment, Tom Eaves is all about promise and potential, nothing more.

These factors would therefore, as far as I can see, place £200k, £250k or whatever it is as being the extreme low end of the scale of his potential transfer value. His value could not possibly drop below this in the short-to medium-term (injury aside). If we'd waited until January, or next summer, the worst that could happen is that he'd still be worth £200k / £250k / whatever. The best that could happen is that he'd racked up a bagful of goals and be worth £500-750k. The likelihood is that it would have been somewhere in between.

Secondly, a 5 year deal sets expectations in the fans' minds that only serious offers will be considered, and that the club was prepared to wait for him to develop over a season or two to allow time for his value to appreciate, whilst also hopefully contributing positively to the team's performances and results. I suspect a lot of the disappointment in this thread stems from the fact that the club appeared to be setting out to play hardball with an unusually long contract, and then caving in at the first offer.

Thirdly how was he ever going to leave on a Bosman (unless he stayed with us until 2015)?

We all know we need cash. I just sense that we could have got a lot more if we'd given it 6 months or a year.

Good bit of business for me this one whatever they have got for him. Not yet proven, has certainly not set the world on fire whenever I have seen him but hope he proves me wrong and the "other clauses" (whatever they are) kick in!

Just wish we had done the same thing and sold Taylor when we could have had money for him!

Think we all knew it was on the cards and with him going my young nephews can stop saying that "lazy boy" has scored.

Yep, thought he was dreadfully lazy at Barrow and Burnley and then suddenly perked up against Bolton ( I wonder why....) Started to call him lazy boy and my young nephews picked up on it.

Note to self: must stop giving latics players nicknames in front young impressionable kids... :grin:

Its a funny old game footy....shame the crystal ball is broken or we would then know now if it was a good bit of business or not.

Looking forward to Saturday, oooooo its going to be entertaining

Given that we don't know the fee for sure so much of this is subjective. I'd have liked to see Tom Eaves bag goals for us this year and move on as a more complete player for more money, but we shouldn't base a valuation of him on daft transfers like Delph or on those of proven talent like Cox or Hooper. Look at Ricky Lambert - some good performances on a consistent basis and he goes for £1million. On that basis, if we really have trousered £350k up front for Eaves like Prozac suggests, together with achievable add-ons and the possibility of a sell-on clause too then we shouldn't be too worried.

Even if Eaves had stayed and we'd brought him on, he was unlikely to bag enough goals to make the difference this year, and to have affected his value massively he'd have needed to bag absolutely loads. Lambert scored 29 in League One to reach his valuation, and given that Eaves wouldn't have replicated that so the most we might have added would be £150k or so - which is unlikely to be the difference maker for us this season.

That said though, I am tired of Premier League clubs hoovering up talent. I'd dearly like to see some really first-class young players strut their stuff for a couple of years at righteous BP...

One aspect is that Gazal and Blitz might be happy to keep the loan as investment to take the "profts" from Failsworth.

Now I am not sugesting they are palnning to forego 200k, for £10m from Failsworth.

But they may be happy to forego that with the chance of a few 100k more.

Just read this....

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~2118886,00.html

I couldn't understand why we were moving the Preston game and slotting the Bolton game in at a couple of weeks notice like we did...I wonder if it was at Boltons request so they could have a look at Eaves. But for the injury which saw him come on earlier, he may only have come on at half time and not been as spectular. Those little breaks in football....Good luck Tom!

Just read this....

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~2118886,00.html

I couldn't understand why we were moving the Preston game and slotting the Bolton game in at a couple of weeks notice like we did...I wonder if it was at Boltons request so they could have a look at Eaves. But for the injury which saw him come on earlier, he may only have come on at half time and not been as spectular. Those little breaks in football....Good luck Tom!

Might be completely wide of the mark with this; but wasn’t it case of Bolton losing a pre-season fixture with Morecombe cancelling all their home pre-season games as their stadium wasn’t ready in time. Bolton had a ‘free’ date and we were available with some tweaking; game quickly arranged as a result......

Might be completely wide of the mark with this; but wasn’t it case of Bolton losing a pre-season fixture with Morecombe cancelling all their home pre-season games as their stadium wasn’t ready in time. Bolton had a ‘free’ date and we were available with some tweaking; game quickly arranged as a result......

Shhh Sly, dont confuse this thread with logic. It was all a ploy to steal our star young striker, who is obviously going on to score one-squillion goals in his career, for absolutely nowt, as our club cannot be trusted to know whats best for them, even though they deal with this type of stuff evry day.

The voices, I tell thee, the voices, everywhere.... :crackpot::wacko:

I still believe that SC or "the remaining amigo", always had more personal wealth to invest in the club than is ever suggested. The other two, whilst thankfully digging deep, always viewed the whole experience as a hobby and a bit of a gamble....which they may yet still get a return on. Corney on the other hand does appear to have the passion for the game, the fans and the club and I for one am more than happy that he is our chairman. Dickov and Taggart are fantastic appointments and Eaves is a fantastic bit of business. Nominal fee plus add ons for an un proven, untried player can only benefit us. Everyone has three goals in them, Tom's were all in one game....big whoop. I put 4 past one of my work mates yesterday. They didnt mean anything. Neither did Tom's...except we were paid handsomely for them. We are Moving forward on a very positive wave again.

If we go under, it wont be for the lack of fighting and It is an awesome feeling not to have to support a club that is just going to roll over and die.

We are and always will be OAFC.

One Amigo Football Club somehow sounds right.

Shhh Sly, dont confuse this thread with logic. It was all a ploy to steal our star young striker, who is obviously going on to score one-squillion goals in his career, for absolutely nowt, as our club cannot be trusted to know whats best for them, even though they deal with this type of stuff evry day.

The voices, I tell thee, the voices, everywhere.... :crackpot::wacko:

I've often thought BB80 should go into soap writing... :pow:

:wink:

If we recieved around 300k with potential bonuses and a sell on clause then it is a good deal for us, Dont forget we have just sold an established pro and our top goalscorer last season for 50k, so if we put that into context that we have sold a striker who was on the pitch 15 times last season and didnt score a goal and we have 300k for his services then i think we have a good deal.

Yes, the lad has potential but if we have got added bonuses and a sell on clause in place we have covered the potential as well.

If we recieved around 300k with potential bonuses and a sell on clause then it is a good deal for us, Dont forget we have just sold an established pro and our top goalscorer last season for 50k, so if we put that into context that we have sold a striker who was on the pitch 15 times last season and didnt score a goal and we have 300k for his services then i think we have a good deal.

Yes, the lad has potential but if we have got added bonuses and a sell on clause in place we have covered the potential as well.

<cough> £20K <cough> :wink: