Reality Check needed by everyone!

I think everyone needs a reality check regarding the team, yeah its great getting a good cup run but i would much rather have a decent league than to waste it just for the sake of the cup!!!! Being an oldham fan goin on 20 years people need to realise with the money floating around we cant compete to the highest level with only corney doing all he can to keep the club going! We could be in admin at the end of the season but to get that worked up about a game, which to be honest wasnt really a talking point anyway, people need to face reality and realise how serious the problems are deeper than the surface.

You never know if we brought the way we support the team away to home we would have the best support around and am sure thr team would mirror that in performances!!!

KEEP THE FAITH, STOP YOUR MOANING AND SUPPORT THE BOYS IN BLUE!!!

I think everyone needs a reality check regarding the team, yeah its great getting a good cup run but i would much rather have a decent league than to waste it just for the sake of the cup!!!! Being an oldham fan goin on 20 years people need to realise with the money floating around we cant compete to the highest level with only corney doing all he can to keep the club going! We could be in admin at the end of the season but to get that worked up about a game, which to be honest wasnt really a talking point anyway, people need to face reality and realise how serious the problems are deeper than the surface.

You never know if we brought the way we support the team away to home we would have the best support around and am sure thr team would mirror that in performances!!!

KEEP THE FAITH, STOP YOUR MOANING AND SUPPORT THE BOYS IN BLUE!!!

Nice sentiment, but people are so disappointed with the result yesterday BECAUSE of the problems deeper than the surface. We've blown an opportunity to progress and make some money to perhaps prevent administration.

Nice sentiment, but people are so disappointed with the result yesterday BECAUSE of the problems deeper than the surface. We've blown an opportunity to progress and make some money to perhaps prevent administration.

What he said

A cup run could have made the difference between going into admin at the end of the season or not going into admin, the difference between having to sell two players in jan rather than having to sell one etc

Get through rounds 1 and 2 and land a premier league club away and your talking a 6 figure sum that would have helped the club tremendously this season.

...people need to realise with the money floating around we cant compete to the highest level with only corney doing all he can to keep the club going! We could be in admin at the end of the season .....

Ok, read that bit again and then ask yourself why people aren't too happy that we've just blown our only real hope of bringing in the kind of money that could avoid administration or the sale of assets.

It would take huge improvement to even scrape through promotion via the playoffs, and then we'd need to find a lorry load of cash to cement a position in the Championship. Cup runs are vital to survival.

A plum tie in the third round would have brought in much needed cash.

But to look at it another way, how much would a game away to Port Vale then Watford for example have brought in? I can't see either of these being money spinners, if we got through the second round we would be looking at drawing one of about 10-15 clubs that would constitute a "big draw". There are relatively slim odds on that happening.

Yes it is a bit of a disappointment that we lost but there was no guarantee that we would have made a lot of money out of a cup run.

we beat Everton a few years back then got beat by Huddersfield in the next round.

some on here then called the Everton game a waste of time because of that loss and a disgrace that we couldnt go further to earn more money.

reallity checks are one things - this board is another :shock:

Too right. We might have got knocked out in the third round by AFC Wimbledon or in the fourth round by Dover.

Besides, we're doing really well this season. I hope this website is exceptionally negative like people say it is. Surely not everyone calls for the manager to go and the shipping out of several players every time we lose. It's just not a sensible approach to football. It's screaming and deranged, like the pastor in Zulu - can't you see, we're all going to DIE!

A plum tie in the third round would have brought in much needed cash.

But to look at it another way, how much would a game away to Port Vale then Watford for example have brought in? I can't see either of these being money spinners, if we got through the second round we would be looking at drawing one of about 10-15 clubs that would constitute a "big draw". There are relatively slim odds on that happening.

Yes it is a bit of a disappointment that we lost but there was no guarantee that we would have made a lot of money out of a cup run.

Completely agree. We'll never know now though, will we?

As I said, a cup run was our only hope - now we haven't even got the chance.

Think I'd rather have the Vale and Watford money -regardless of its size- with a chance of something bigger, than to be watching the draw as a neutral.

Ok, read that bit again and then ask yourself why people aren't too happy that we've just blown our only real hope of bringing in the kind of money that could avoid administration or the sale of assets.

my first reaction is to agree with you but, surely if this was truly the only chance to fend of/solve financial problems, PD would have sent them out a bit more fired up and wouldn't have dropped Lee & started Winchester???

chasing or gaining promotion makes us much more saleable than maybe, just maybe, getting knocked out after having made a couple of hundred grand from a plum 3rd round away draw

i think from Simon Corneys viewpoint only being on the verges of promotion will find him his buyer and only getting promotion would allow him to carry on solo.

It would take huge improvement to even scrape through promotion via the playoffs, and then we'd need to find a lorry load of cash to cement a position in the Championship. Cup runs are vital to survival.

What annoyed many fans was the feeling of a poor attitude from some players at Accrington, many were also annoyed with the manager for leaving out probably his two best players, it's that kind of thing which alienates fans from the club.

This weekend I saw every single player from 2 non league sides give tremendous commitment to their clubs cause, many of these players had to take time off work and travel hundreds of miles.

Some of today's professional players really do need a reality check.

Too right. We might have got knocked out in the third round by AFC Wimbledon or in the fourth round by Dover.

Besides, we're doing really well this season. I hope this website is exceptionally negative like people say it is. Surely not everyone calls for the manager to go and the shipping out of several players every time we lose. It's just not a sensible approach to football. It's screaming and deranged, like the pastor in Zulu - can't you see, we're all going to DIE!

Think you're being a tad over the top there Mr T.

People are merely trying to make the point that it is right to be disappointed that we have rolled over so easily when there is potentially so much to play for.

PD has done a fantastic job so far - the Accy game was just a hiccup that could have been costly. That hurts.

my first reaction is to agree with you but, surely if this was truly the only chance to fend of/solve financial problems, PD would have sent them out a bit more fired up and wouldn't have dropped Lee & started Winchester???

chasing or gaining promotion makes us much more saleable than maybe, just maybe, getting knocked out after having made a couple of hundred grand from a plum 3rd round away draw

i think from Simon Corneys viewpoint only being on the verges of promotion will find him his buyer and only getting promotion would allow him to carry on solo.

have to agree...im as dissapointed as anyone we went out in the first round....but i'll get over it....if a cup run was so vital to our plight then why the hell havent we had the same reaction from the other 2 cup defeats???,they all bring in extra money.

promotion is a must,its ok people saying we couldnt afford to go up,well we cant afford not too,as has been said getting promoted makes us a more attractive option to buy and invest in...staying in this league will see us fold,maybe not next season but not much after that,why??? because staying put means less fans smaller budget with all that entails and either a has been old manager or an untried one to try and make do and mend....

i would be questioning why mr hardy deems it necessary to come on the website to explain our financial position yet again..we know how bad it is,we dont need the emotional blackmail card coming out again....id much rather hear of potential investors or what the club is doing to attract them....

we know this season is a hard one,but sitting on hands and hoping someone comes in with a pot full of cash wont work,we should be actively persuing new investment....

Latics fans do go over the top sometimes.

And get very irrational.

None more so that on here.

But the one thing that is consistent is that a team that tries a nd uts a shift in will get the vast majority backing it.

Dickov had got the team working hard, so won so many fans over.

The lack of effort is what I think has got everyone down, we have seen it time and time again over the last decade or so

Paul Dickov's reaction to that first half was good, lets see if the actions match the words

If they do, we'll be alright and this will be rgarded as a hiccup and kick up the backside needed.

If not, the honeymooon will be over.

I think Hardys comments today show the severity of losing to Accrington , I dont think people need a reality check I think the :censored: really is hitting the fan now

+1

the reality check is how much trouble we are in and we NEEDED to be in that next round

We lost out on £18,000 by not winning that game, another £27,000 if we had won the 2nd round. That's £45,000 in prize money alone we should have been aiming to get in this cup competition that we've missed out on.

And another £67,000 for getting through the 3rd round. Thats £112,000.