The Ashes 2010-11

:grin: Perhaps that was a harsh statement against some of the CLL's finest!

As for Doherty, we were having the same conversation last night, how we were sure that we could bowl better :lol:

Joel Garner - I remember walking past him at Hollinwood cc a few years ago when he played against them - HUGE!!!

I remember standing behind the batsmen at Royton when Big Bird played for Oldham. Apart from being a bit scared, I was mainly thinking that it didn't seem altogether fair.

I felt a bit like that for D'oherty last night - just a bit mind.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad played against Big Joel when he was at Littleborough. He opened the batting and was 4 not out amidst carnage at other end. Broken finger, broken nose BUT NO HELMETS... says it was like a hand grenade arriving. Think team was out for 33. Viv Richards (Rishton?) Clive Lloyd, Farouk Engineer and above used to frequent what was the Ladybarn in Milnrow after a game.

Chris Schofield, ex Lancs and now Surrey played at Littleborough, nothing special when i played against him :grin:

Dad played against Big Joel when he was at Littleborough. He opened the batting and was 4 not out amidst carnage at other end. Broken finger, broken nose BUT NO HELMETS... says it was like a hand grenade arriving. Think team was out for 33. Viv Richards (Rishton?) Clive Lloyd, Farouk Engineer and above used to frequent what was the Ladybarn in Milnrow after a game.

Big Joel, 90 wickets in his season at The Pollards

Andy Flower, Sir Garfield Sobers, Carl Hooper, the list is endless

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/com...l_professionals

Big Joel, 90 wickets in his season at The Pollards

Andy Flower, Sir Garfield Sobers, Carl Hooper, the list is endless

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/com...l_professionals

Andy Flower despite being the best batsman in the world at one point, no longer holds the run record in a season at Heywood, that honour goes to RJ Cross, son of once Latics' own, David.

Schofield played for England a bit, 5 years later he was playing for Littleborough, less than 2 years later he was back playing for England.

You pick a team of CLL all star's at their pomp, and then let the rest of the world pick a team of all stars from who's left and my money is on the CLL every day.

Getting back to the original topic, if you consider Johnson an all-rounder (in a lot teams he might be), then he wouldn't get dropped. Harris has bowled well but Doherty, has been awful. I think a lot of the logic as to why Doherty got picked is because he's a slow left armer and KP often gets out to them (especially part-timers, I think Yuvraj has a 70% record against KP), but this is the same KP who didn't bat in the second innings last test, got some runs in the first test and has a double-century in the second and has a current series average of 256. TBH even though Hauritz is much better than Doherty, he wouldn't get in England's team and probably not the squad.

another one

Asif Mujtaba - Norden

Carl Hooper also did a stint at Werneth.

Slightly away from us, but about the same standard of the CLL, a team in the Huddersfield League had Indian test opener Wasim Jaffer in their team last season. He scored something ludicrous like 2,500 runs and helped destroy Delph's hopes of being the first Lancastrian team to win their knockout trophy; The Sykes Cup having scored a very classy ton in the final.

It still hurts like a bastard now, that does.

Carl Hooper also did a stint at Werneth.

Slightly away from us, but about the same standard of the CLL, a team in the Huddersfield League had Indian test opener Wasim Jaffer in their team last season. He scored something ludicrous like 2,500 runs and helped destroy Delph's hopes of being the first Lancastrian team to win their knockout trophy; The Sykes Cup having scored a very classy ton in the final.

It still hurts like a bastard now, that does.

yeh on Werneth's slope he must have scored a few

what would promt somebody like Jaffer to move to England and play in the Huddersfield League? i remember Stephen Bell (pro) and Bart Thomson (overseas Am) for Oldham being given a house in Derker :petesake:

but Jaffer?

what would promt somebody like Jaffer to move to England and play in the Huddersfield League? i remember Stephen Bell (pro) and Bart Thomson (overseas Am) for Oldham being given a house in Derker :petesake:

but Jaffer?

Money seemingly. Quite a few Indian restaurant proprietors in the area clubbed together to pay for him to play for the season and rumour has it he turned down Derbyshire too. Completely head and shoulders above everyone in the division and a pretty nice guy to boot.

I've seen a few big county and country players make cameo/professional appearance for clubs in the Huddersfield League. Ryan Sidebottom for Meltham, Matthew Wood for several teams. Kyle Hogg makes a few appearances for Delph every season when Lancashire allow.

Money seemingly. Quite a few Indian restaurant proprietors in the area clubbed together to pay for him to play for the season and rumour has it he turned down Derbyshire too. Completely head and shoulders above everyone in the division and a pretty nice guy to boot.

I've seen a few big county and country players make cameo/professional appearance for clubs in the Huddersfield League. Ryan Sidebottom for Meltham, Matthew Wood for several teams. Kyle Hogg makes a few appearances for Delph every season when Lancashire allow.

money talks doesnt it, Luke Proctor has got the best of both, same as Hogg really

money talks doesnt it, Luke Proctor has got the best of both, same as Hogg really

I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, but I once saw Proctor hook a six in the first over against Oldham at Royton. From the pitch nearest the stand, and off to the mill fields there. 120 yards at least. He'll be a great player, no doubt.

Assuming half of tomorrow's play goes ahead we should finish this off. The decision to continue batting today looks like the right one.

Might even be worth letting Pieterson have a brief bowl.

(as I type that Hussey knocks Swann for 6!)

Edited by opinions4u

Assuming half of tomorrow's play goes ahead we should finish this off. The decision to continue batting today looks like the right one.

Might even be worth letting Pieterson have a brief bowl.

(as I type that Hussey knocks Swann for 6!)

Genius!!!! Clarke had some neck, not walking there...

"Our" Kevin has to be a shoe-in for man of the match now, if he wasn't already.

Come on lads, bright start tomorrow, a bit of following through on to the pitch to scuff it up more and skittle them before lunch. I'm in no way a religious man but I hope Allah, Jehovah, the flying spaghetti monster or God can hold of the rain, please!!!

I still think he's a massive cock though, but well played.

yup , its not surprising to see him smash the aussies out of the park but I would like him to do the same to Bangladesh or someone else , cant be doing with these sports stars who are only motivated for big games

yup , its not surprising to see him smash the aussies out of the park but I would like him to do the same to Bangladesh or someone else , cant be doing with these sports stars who are only motivated for big games

That was definitely KP back to his swaggering, belligerent best. He has been out of sorts for a while; only in the World T20 did he look anything like the batsmen of old.......on his day; when everything ‘clicks’ as it has in this test so far, then basically I’d say he’s the worlds best at doing what he does IMO. I can’t think of another who dominates the opposition’s attack more than an on-song KP; anyone who produces scoring shots where others wouldn’t dare; anyone physically dominates at the crease so much. It was a stunning innings. As a bloke; he’s a grade A c*ck – as a world class batsmen; when on-song; there are none better IMO.

Special mentions to Cook (again!!), Trott (again) & to Collingwood & Bell who both looked in good nick when at the crease & did a very good job in supporting KP.

I can’t help thinking we’d have been better sticking them into bat sooner – I’d have been a bugger & sent our 2 in for a couple of overs at the most; then Declared; just to lord it over them & mess with their heads some more. Really hope we’ve left ourselves with enough time to get the last 6 wickets; as a (weather induced) draw in this one would be a crushing blow to us; and a moral lifting mega-bonus to them.

With Bollinger’s foot marks coming into more prominence; roll up Mr Swann and take the tail!!!

C’mon England!

I can’t help thinking we’d have been better sticking them into bat sooner

I was told we had a similar lead last time we played there - Flintoff decalred and we went on to lose.

Not checked it out as fact, but I'd much rather start tomorrow with a lead of 130+ where there is little chance of us having to score a three figures sum across two sessions with a risk of defeat.

Of course the weather will decide which decision was right. I'd have done what Strauss did though.

I was told we had a similar lead last time we played there - Flintoff decalred and we went on to lose.

Not checked it out as fact, but I'd much rather start tomorrow with a lead of 130+ where there is little chance of us having to score a three figures sum across two sessions with a risk of defeat.

Of course the weather will decide which decision was right. I'd have done what Strauss did though.

That’s where my thinking is coming from – I’d hate for the weather to scupper us winning......was purely thinking the longer they had to bat; the more chance we have of getting the 10 wickets. As you say; time will tell. Hopefully we go 1 up and keep the momentum rolling......