Failsworth Stadium Move Blocked

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick Ferry, the Oldham comedian, was saying something very similar the other day. His rant started from the fact that HMV have left the town, so not only is there no cinema, there aint even a record shop anymore.

We agreed that The Ashton Arms is the one remaining haven in a dead town centre. To quote him (in relation to said pub):

"...like an oasis in the middle of the set of I am Legend."

HMV has gone? since when?

Mick spotted that it had gone on Monday. I haven't been and checked for myself but he's not the kind of guy to make stuff up.

Just had a check on the store finder on HMV's website (yes i have time on my hands :grin: ). Its gone, nearest one is Ashton/Manc centre now.

I have since received the following from Councillor Bashforth:

Dear Sir,

I cannot agree with you more on how badly this affair has been run, indeed although I have not yet had sight of the Charity Commission's report, I do understand that it is highly critical of the way Oldham council's Lib Dem/Conservative ruling group conducted themselves throughout the process.

The importance of a viable well attended football club is not lost on the Oldham Labour Group who have pledged real support for the club when they are in a position to do so and the leader of our group has been, and remains in very close contact with directors of the club.

I don't believe there is any appeal process here and that the decision is final. The only alternative would be for the club to stay at Boundary Park or seek a new site (which I believe to be OAFC's preference) and I do understand other sites are now being looked at and considered at, but am not privy to the details, which would in any case be highly confidential at this stage.

As with the Vance Miller case, this will be a another high profile, expensive failure for Oldham council's Lib Dem/Conservative ruling group and it may be that resignations would be in order!

Regards

Councillor Steven Bashforth (Royton South Ward)

It sounds very much like another council cock up to me!!!!!! :disappointed:

This is very depressing!

KTF

Unbelievable, what a lying c***.

When we look back over the various false starts we've had with redevelopment plans, does anybody honestly think Failsworth was the best? Our best option, given the lack of viable sites elsewhere, always has been the redevelopment of Boundary Park. Rather than going through appeals and legal and political minefields to try to resurrect Failsworth, why don't we concentrate our efforts on working out what it would take to stay at BP. Yes there's a huge financial hole to plug, but surely, since Blitz and Gazaal effectively pulled out, that's the case whatever we do?

When we look back over the various false starts we've had with redevelopment plans, does anybody honestly think Failsworth was the best? Our best option, given the lack of viable sites elsewhere, always has been the redevelopment of Boundary Park. Rather than going through appeals and legal and political minefields to try to resurrect Failsworth, why don't we concentrate our efforts on working out what it would take to stay at BP. Yes there's a huge financial hole to plug, but surely, since Blitz and Gazaal effectively pulled out, that's the case whatever we do?

The problem is we have already layed out millions of pounds, we would suffer a loss on that plus what it would cost to redevelop boundary park,

we would be in the same position, we wouldnt be self sufficient