Failsworth Stadium Move Blocked

Ah Bashforth, he was a real friend to the club wasn't he. What a nauseating reply.

With friends like Bashforth, who needs enemies.

Bashforth was the Chairman of the planning committee that we bent over backwards for yet all the time he was moving against the plan as it was in his own interests to decline planning permission and to hang onto to his Royton seat….he stabbed the club in the back but got a real arse kicking from the council leaders….

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just "lurk" on here but thought I'd chuck my two penneth....

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Our Lady's and St Augustine's schools are merging together soon and the new "super school" will be based in Chadderton (I think?). I'm assuming that this means that the Our Lady's site will become free. As this encompasses the lower site (Broadway) and upper site (Vaughan St) plus the respective football, all weather and rugby pitches along with the tennis courts and other bits of waste land. If Latics could buy this land plus the land that Coin Controls sits on (in the middle of the two sites) surely this would be more than enough to house a new stadium? And it will only be a few hundred yards from the existing site, capitalising on it's close proximity to the motorway.

I may be way off the mark here so feel free to shoot me down in flames, just trying to come up with a (currently elusive) Plan B!

From that reply it looks like we will not be able to appeal and that Failsworth is dead in the water. Our only option know is either re-devolpe BP, which we dont have the funds to do or find a new site fast.

He's talking bollocks though, he knows sod all about it. Read the official club statement and the council's statement. Remember 'Two Cars' Bashforth is good at scaremongering….

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Our Lady's and St Augustine's schools are merging together soon and the new "super school" will be based in Chadderton (I think?). I'm assuming that this means that the Our Lady's site will become free. As this encompasses the lower site (Broadway) and upper site (Vaughan St) plus the respective football, all weather and rugby pitches along with the tennis courts and other bits of waste land. If Latics could buy this land plus the land that Coin Controls sits on (in the middle of the two sites) surely this would be more than enough to house a new stadium? And it will only be a few hundred yards from the existing site, capitalising on it's close proximity to the motorway.

I may be way off the mark here so feel free to shoot me down in flames, just trying to come up with a (currently elusive) Plan B!

It was my understanding that the new grange school was being built on this site

He is there are always an appeal process when anything is decided!!! hes just talking crap again

We don't even need to begin the appeals process, just let the council know in no uncertain terms that they must resubmit their application to transfer the land and to be much more meticulous and transparent in their information provision to the CC. Then if it's rejected and the council has done everything properly THEN we can appeal depending on whether we have er ahem 'grounds' to do so. The council hired a top barrister who ensured them the CC was the route to go - either he has advised them wrongly or the council has not taken on board his advice properly...

We don't even need to begin the appeals process, just let the council know in no uncertain terms that they must resubmit their application to transfer the land and to be much more meticulous and transparent in their information provision to the CC. Then if it's rejected and the council has done everything properly THEN we can appeal depending on whether we have er ahem 'grounds' to do so. The council hired a top barrister who ensured them the CC was the route to go - either he has advised them wrongly or the council has not taken on board his advice properly...

I'd go with the latter

Thats what was mentioned when I spoke to the council, they will re submit the application with the points which were missed off. We will then come to an appeal if this is not succesful

I thought there where going to replace the existing Our Ladys site with the new Grange building?

Thats what was mentioned when I spoke to the council, they will re submit the application with the points which were missed off. We will then come to an appeal if this is not succesful

How the fool can they miss points ? They must of been pretty big points for the cc to block the move

The situation is as clear as the beer swilling around the gutters of Oldham on a Friday night.

Is the Charities commission refusing or deferring the application? Conflicting information (as illustrated by Councillor Bashworth's response) only fuels the situation as the fallout from this descends into yet another political/media headline grabber to the detriment of Oldham and it's townsfolk.

Whatever the outcome, there is still the most relevant issue of funding a ground development - whether that's in Failsworth, Rochdale, Ashton, BP or elsewhere in Oldham. Let the dust settle and wait for the most crucial person in this debate (Simon Corney) reveal his plan(s) for the future.

PS If he is considering suing the council, perhaps he should offer them the option of alternatively investing the value of that claim (costs included) in rebuilding the knocked-down Lookers stand - it could even include a kitchen showroom for a certain Vance Miller in lieu of his threatened legal action.

I'm sure there will be many more suggestions for included facilities in the design of the new stand :wink:

How the fool can they miss points ? They must of been pretty big points for the cc to block the move

Thats what was said, the charity commission said they were not satisfied that sufficient information has been provided to enable them to exercise their power and permit the transfer to proceed.

Ah, didn't know that. Is it not too late to stop it? Surely football is more important than a few kids education :wink:

If we built a school in Tameside or them or merge them into a new bigger school in Rochdale......

Edit.. Stoopid dyslexia

Edited by Guest

The Manc Evening News says the Charity Commission says the council were 'not fully informed' in bringing the swap forward, slammed the consultation process for being 'weak' and said 'conflicts of interest were not properly managed'.

I’ve been dreading the day when what I have kept saying has been proved to be correct, and it gives me no satisfaction whatsoever.

Oldham M.B.C. (Major Balls-up Council) has been guilty of maladministration consistently throughout the saga over the planning applications and now this charitable land status catastrophe.

In July 2009 The Council’s Cabinet Cabinet approved the recommendations in a report of the Executive Director, Economy, Places and Skills to enter into a conditional agreement with the club for the transfer of an area of Council owned land in support of the Club's ground redevelopment proposals. It was reported at the time that the condition was subject to the question of the possible charitable status of the Lower Memorial Park land being clarified by the Charity Commission. Based on the evidence submitted to it, the Charity Commission said it was not charitable land and the Council gave the go ahead to OAFC, which purchased the Lancaster Club in good faith.

Then it was found that the Council had not submitted all the evidence to the Commission, when a local resident pointed out that the submitted evidence did not include the records of the old Failsworth Council. When the full evidence was submitted to the CC, it ruled that it was charitable land.

In the circumstances, the Club has been misled by the Council, which in turn misled the Charity Commission, and therefore the Council must pay for its mistakes, which have led to OAFC owning the Lancaster Club, without being able to redevelop the remainder of the site viably.

No matter what costs/compensation/damages are paid eventually by the Council, it will not help the Club to get out of the financial quicksand into which it has sunk. :disappointed:

You were spot on Diego. I cannot believe the councils arrogance in how they have dealt with this. When I read through the reports on the councils web page, they felt so sure of themselves. Complete dereliction of duty.

From that reply it looks like we will not be able to appeal and that Failsworth is dead in the water. Our only option know is either re-devolpe BP, which we dont have the funds to do or find a new site fast.

Quote from Bashforth

indeed although I have not yet had sight of the Charity Commission's report

Then proceeds in a pathetic political point scoring excercise proving that is more important than the issue in hand.

I can understand Diego's assessment. The trouble is, different individuals and departments within the council have been responsible at different times, to the extent that proving any kind of consistent negligence or dereliction of duty by "the council" per se would be extremely difficult, especially when some of the cock-ups have been down to councillors acting either incompetently or in their own vested interests (stand up Mr Bashforth).

I am more unimpressed with the Charity Commission - their response as it appears on the OAFC official site is yet again worded in such a way that it's barely possible to decipher whether they've actually made a decision or not. And the excuses for their delays in that non-decision were truly pitiful. It strikes me this government's purge of pointless quangos hasn't yet gone far enough.

Edited by garcon

I can understand Diego's assessment. The trouble is, different individuals and departments within the council have been responsible at different times, to the extent that proving any kind of consistent negligence or dereliction of duty by "the council" per se would be extremely difficult, especially when some of the cock-ups have been down to councillors acting either incompetently or in their own vested interests (stand up Mr Bashforth).

I am more unimpressed with the Charity Commission - their response as it appears on the OAFC official site is yet again worded in such a way that it's barely possible to decipher whether they've actually made a decision or not. And the excuses for their delays in that non-decision were truly pitiful. It strikes me this government's purge of pointless quangos hasn't yet gone far enough.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, the more red-tape and complicated a process becomes the more self-important these agencies become…we all knew this would happen.

Bashforth?? the same one that insinuated that people can drive two cars at the same time?? do me a favour, it doesn't take a genius to see why he would be backing us now, 1) He's in opposition and it would look good for him to back the club and 2) It involves us moving to somehwere not in his constituency.

The two faced rascal!! (Suppose that goes for most if not all politicians)

Edited by Oafc88

I'm going to put my tin helmet on for this one. It would never happen and may not even work. However, as a temporary measure, I'd prefer to use half of the council house. Yes, I know, :censored:y won't let it happen and the atmosphere would be crap, but, in theory, the opportunities for corporate packages would be far better than anywhere else, and it's easily accessable. Facilities would be great for a season (or two), before we move into our new home in Ashton Moss.

Wow, that would make us a truly Greater Manchester club.

Bang. :lol: :lol:

even though I have't voted for a single one of the people involved in this debacle I feel embarrassed as an Oldhamer almost as much as I feel gutted that this might be the final nail in OAFCs coffin

what must Simon Corney et al be thinking of us as a town that elects and puts up with these people?

I'm beginning to feel like we're part of some sick social experiment here where successive councils are testing the bounds of just how far they can get away with running this now godforsaken place into the ground??

I'm beginning to feel like we're part of some sick social experiment here where successive councils are testing the bounds of just how far they can get away with running this now godforsaken place into the ground??

Mick Ferry, the Oldham comedian, was saying something very similar the other day. His rant started from the fact that HMV have left the town, so not only is there no cinema, there aint even a record shop anymore.

We agreed that The Ashton Arms is the one remaining haven in a dead town centre. To quote him (in relation to said pub):

"...like an oasis in the middle of the set of I am Legend."