Hearing rumours of two new strikers on their way to Boundary Park in the very near future.

Benji - obviously well known from the reserves, will sign this week, or so i hear

Ryan Taylor - Striker from Rotherham, allowed to leave on a free this summer is set to move to us, turning down deals from Barnsley and Millwall... only scored 20 in 124 games though!

Other Rumours - Less likely to happen

Shane Higgs will join Latics from Leeds to offer competition for Dean Brill

Leeds will sign Dale Stephens for 500k and will send Neil Kilkenny back for a third spell here

Tom Eaves is set to move back on loan for next season to gain experience

We will sign Clayton Donaldson from Crewe

We we also sign Liam Dickinson from Barnsley

Gary McDonald will return to Latics for a second spell when his contract expires in summer

Rueben Hazell will turn down a contract at Latics to sign for Shez at Chesterfield

Lee Hughes is set to return to Latics

As i said, some of the latter are alot less likely!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing rumours of two new strikers on their way to Boundary Park in the very near future.

Benji - obviously well known from the reserves, will sign this week, or so i hear

Ryan Taylor - Striker from Rotherham, allowed to leave on a free this summer is set to move to us, turning down deals from Barnsley and Millwall... only scored 20 in 124 games though!

Leeds will sign Dale Stephens for 500k and will send Neil Kilkenny back for a third spell here

Gary McDonald will return to Latics for a second spell when his contract expires in summer

Rueben Hazell will turn down a contract at Latics to sign for Shez at Chesterfield

Struggling to believe any of the other rumours, although would like to see Gary Mac back!

Saw Ryan Taylor when he was on loan at Exeter last year, not a goalscorer but could do a decent job for us as a support striker. He's a target man with a good work rate. Won't be too expensive either.

Who's Benji btw?

Struggling to believe any of the other rumours, although would like to see Gary Mac back!

Saw Ryan Taylor when he was on loan at Exeter last year, not a goalscorer but could do a decent job for us as a support striker. He's a target man with a good work rate. Won't be too expensive either.

Who's Benji btw?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdessalam_Benjelloun

Played at Hibs with Morais, good friends I think.

He scored a hat trick t'other week for the Ressies under the name of 'Ben Stevens'.

The bits about a playing choosing Latics over Millwall and Kilkenny coming back are particularly fanciful.

I've seen Benji play a few times for Hibs, used as a useful sub on 3 occasions. Didn't do anything amazing but he put himself around and liked the odd trick here and there akin to Morais. Certainly knows where the goal is provided he gets good service.

I'd leave McDonald... not the player he used to be and I feel Scottish football has not done him any favours. Had a shocker for Hamilton at the weekend (admittedly have only seen the lowlights).

Donaldson would be a great signing but unless dickov is a great persuader, there's no way we'd be his best option unfortunately

Dickinson was a good striker for Stockport but seems to be working his way round clubs without really settling and hasn't done anything special for Dale apparently

in a 1-1-8 formation?

1st one; Benji is very plausible - TP had good words to say on him and the fact he was here for the longest trial on record I think speaks volumes.

Ryan Taylor - Hmmm. Could happen I guess; available on a free; local (ish); a 'right age' for a PD type player. Looked good on sky for Exeter on loan last season; and again in the play-off final for Rovverum - great work rates but so not a goal-scorer. Basically a Ginger Oumare Tonk really I'd say.

The others - well; :grin:

Assuming all of those offered deals stay, and nobody else leaves (not necessarily likely), we're going to need:

Goalkeeper (definitely if Brill goes, possibly even if he stays)

Centre back

Centre midfielder

Two strikers (especially if Smalley signs and is then sold, or if Feeney finds another club)

I reckon we're okay for full backs (Lee & Winchester, Black & Evina) and wingers (Taylor, Morais, McGrath, Hughes and Millar).

That would give us I reckon the minimum necessary squad size.

Assuming all of those offered deals stay, and nobody else leaves (not necessarily likely), we're going to need:

Goalkeeper (definitely if Brill goes, possibly even if he stays)

Centre back

Centre midfielder

Two strikers (especially if Smalley signs and is then sold, or if Feeney finds another club)

I reckon we're okay for full backs (Lee & Winchester, Black & Evina) and wingers (Taylor, Morais, McGrath, Hughes and Millar).

That would give us I reckon the minimum necessary squad size.

Almost my thoughts; but I'd add another CM to make it 2 from 3 in there - the 2nd one for me could well be a season long loan; a la a Lowe type youngster.

GK & x2 Strikers are the outright priorities for me. 3 good additions in those positions and we'll be set.

Dickinson was a good striker for Stockport but seems to be working his way round clubs without really settling and hasn't done anything special for Dale apparently

Apparently, allegedly, perhaps, likes a drink and his game has gone with it.

heard a strong rumour about hughes myself to be honest wouldnt normally believe it but did come from a fairly reliable source within the club although he did only say he has heard the rumour around the club. benji has been offered a deal with someone else in our league down south think it was leyton orient so we may have missed out on him. whenever i have seen that ryan taylor i have been impressed although clearly not a 20 goal a season striker

I was convinced I had seen Lee hughes at CenterParcs (suffolk one) last week. Watching the kids entertainment.

It was Tuesday though, did not really make sense, with him playing, but you can get day passes.

Not that I had the bottle to go and ask him anyway, did not want to look an idiot, well more of one.

But it really did look like him.

I was convinced I had seen Lee hughes at CenterParcs (suffolk one) last week. Watching the kids entertainment.

It was Tuesday though, did not really make sense, with him playing, but you can get day passes.

Not that I had the bottle to go and ask him anyway, did not want to look an idiot, well more of one.

But it really did look like him.

An opening gambit of "hi, are you Lee Hughes, the killer footballer" might not go down well. Even if it isn't!