Matt Smith non-League Striker signs

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely not him.

A couple of weeks ago the 'rarely read' South Manchester Reporter landed on my doorstep. It usually makes it's way very quickly to the recycle bin but for some reason I was drawn to the article on the back page which was bigging this guy up. The next morning I felt compelled to share it with you lot (I'm usually quite shy).

It looks like the club may have been tracking him for a while so I don't really want to take any credit for the signing (unless he turns out to be a superstar of course).

Laters

I wouldn't imagine he'll be starting from game 1 next season but it could work... Reid not the best outside the box but has the potential to be potent inside. This fella, tall, very tall, could provide the knock downs for Reid to play off!!

THat is exactly what I first thought!!

Ha! Me too. Random 1st post to make; a non-league striker still at Uni at the time.....surely it was him testing the water to see what reaction he’d get???? If not; bloody good guess for a 1st post; 100% signing record eh? :wink:

Pleased at this. We were crying out for a big lump last season; if only so we don’t have to watch Jean_Yves constantly being shoved up front all the time! Seriously; I hope this means that we wont be firing high balls to Reuben Reid for him to try and compete for; as that is clearly not his game. Smith can now provide that element; and hopefully it’ll leave Reid / Feeney / Bembo / Brooke / <whoever> to actually make effective runs & play off a big man; actually getting into the box!

Hopefully our slightly harsh moaner esq section of fans will cut the young man some slack as he adjusts to the profession game; and give him time to develop.

Oh – and for all the ‘we never sign non-league players’ – shove that in your pipe & smoke on it!!! :wink:

Any songs for matt? Just Original ones.

SMITHO!! SMITHO!!!!

Remember the Smith's Crisp Advert of the 80s??? To the tune of Bobby's Girl?

"We want to be Matty Smith,

We Want to be Matty Smith

He's the one that scores the goals for us…

Edited by oafcprozac

Remember the Smith's Crisp Advert of the 80s??? To the tune of Bobby's Girl?

"We want to be Matty Smith,

We Want to be Matty Smith

He's the one that scores the goals for us…

Or

Doctor who - who

He's going to score a few

He's bigger than me and you

Doctor who - who

Certainly got his head screwed on…not sure he should be referring to his new gaffer as 'Paul'...:grin:

It's like when you go to 6th form - you get to call your teacher Paul instead of Sir... he'll get used to it once Taggart breaks him in training.

It's like when you go to 6th form - you get to call your teacher Paul instead of Sir... he'll get used to it once Taggart breaks him in training.

Just had a flashback of Will in the Inbetweeners pleading with his head of 6th form when bursting for a crap during an exam….Phiiiillllll……

A kid called me Paul once, oh how we laughed during his detention….mwhahahahahahahahahahahaha….

I'm definitely not him.

A couple of weeks ago the 'rarely read' South Manchester Reporter landed on my doorstep. It usually makes it's way very quickly to the recycle bin but for some reason I was drawn to the article on the back page which was bigging this guy up. The next morning I felt compelled to share it with you lot (I'm usually quite shy).

It looks like the club may have been tracking him for a while so I don't really want to take any credit for the signing (unless he turns out to be a superstar of course).

Laters

Cheers Matt :wink:

Word has is that Steve Howard also in the frame. Good experienced striker with a bit of muscle to give out to the opposition.

Hope thats true, but he will be expensive. If Howard comes in considering the budget, I would expect the immanent departure of Feeney

Hope thats true, but he will be expensive. If Howard comes in considering the budget, I would expect the immanent departure of Feeney

He would be a good signing to help coach Matt Smith in the art of centre forward play.

Word has is that Steve Howard also in the frame. Good experienced striker with a bit of muscle to give out to the opposition.

On the one hand he'd be a good addition, on the other he did fail to score past Dean Windass.

He signed a new deal with Leicester in October. He has another year on his contract left.

We could never afford his wages and I think there would be a number of other clubs in the Championship/League One who would pip us to it if he was available.

He would be a good signing to help coach Matt Smith in the art of centre forward play.

BP - am i right in thinking that you have seen this young lad play whilst he was (fleetingly) at your 2nd team??

I read on the original thread that you said he struggled to adapt to the the way the mighty Bloods play; and their fooball didnt suit him; so what can we expect?

Obviously being 6'6", he'll be a threat in the air (you'd hope) but; to nick an oft used cliche - does he have a good touch for a big man? does he have any pace at all or is he a tad lumbering? is he an outright target man or does he have a bit ore to his game than the 'big lump' tag?

just wondering what you made of him and what we're in for seeing come pre-season????

BP - am i right in thinking that you have seen this young lad play whilst he was (fleetingly) at your 2nd team??

I read on the original thread that you said he struggled to adapt to the the way the mighty Bloods play; and their fooball didnt suit him; so what can we expect?

Obviously being 6'6", he'll be a threat in the air (you'd hope) but; to nick an oft used cliche - does he have a good touch for a big man? does he have any pace at all or is he a tad lumbering? is he an outright target man or does he have a bit ore to his game than the 'big lump' tag?

just wondering what you made of him and what we're in for seeing come pre-season????

He seemed to me not to fit in with Droylsden's style of play (pass and move)and was often used as a substitute impact player, this may reflect why he scored goals for 2 others clubs during the season, but few for Droylsden.

Height is his main asset, but he also showed a good first touch and his general distribution was fine.

However, I feel he will have to work hard on his awareness, acceleration, mobility, and holding up of the ball.

He is young and obviously PD has seen some potential, I applaud him for giving the boy a chance.

Edited by BP1960