Matt Smith non-League Striker signs

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He seemed to me not to fit in with Droylsden's style of play (pass and move)and was often used as a substitute impact player, this may reflect why he scored goals for 2 others clubs during the season, but few for Droylsden.

Height is his main asset, but he also showed a good first touch and his general distribution was fine.

However, I feel he will have to work hard on his awareness, acceleration, mobility, and holding up of the ball.

He is young and obviously PD has seen some potential, I applaud him for giving the boy a chance.

thanks for that,

so - as is obvious really; he's raw & there is plenty to be wored on; but the core elements are there & he has potential. That'll do for me.

and I too echo your thoughts - I applaud PD for taking what is a bit of gamble on a player who could go either way really for us

Definitely one for the the future. He is a Time Lord afterall

Just what we need now just get him to go back to April 1994 and give Mark Hughes a Kneecaping ruling him out of Oldhams FA cup semi final vs Man U and that should solve a hell of alot of problems.

Surprise signing but one that I felt excited about on reading the article on the OS.

We might start to put away the numerous corners we earn and convert some to goals with a lad of Smith's size up front.

Looking forward to the other gems Dickov is due to unnearth!

The pre season games will sort out whether or not he's the business. I hope he is, a big tall bustling lad is what we need. It's been said he lacks awareness, regular training and playing with and against professionals will help in that department.

If he does make the 1st team, seeing as his doctor dad goes to all of his games anyway he could be the club doctor or help out on the doctoring side.

Kelly was on a six month trial contract. This lad has two years. Nice if he can do the business from day one, but not a given.

and Kelly was from abroad so there was always the chance he wouldnt settle , whereas Smith lives in Manchester and it wont be too much change for him

The pre season games will sort out whether or not he's the business. I hope he is, a big tall bustling lad is what we need. It's been said he lacks awareness, regular training and playing with and against professionals will help in that department.

If he does make the 1st team, seeing as his doctor dad goes to all of his games anyway he could be the club doctor or help out on the doctoring side.

Can't tell much from 10 minute highlights on Youtube there's two or three Solihull Moors games on there, there's none of his goals and I have to say he looks a bit 'bambi on ice', unfair to make a judgement on highlights that are so brief and I've not seen the amount of him that BP and Dickov has. I'm sure we're investing in raw talent and I hope he comes good...

sounds decent...maybe we can start scoring from set pieces then eh...

so reid,feeney,smith,brooke,bembo-lita...we covered enough or do we need another decentish striker???

How can we be ?

Reid - needs fitness under his belt and needs to prove himself

Feeney - enough said

Smith - raw and unproven

Brooke- unproven and doesnt look prolific from what Ive seen

bemb0 - looked good last year lets hope the injury didnt take anything out of him like its done to Lewi

How can we be ?

Reid - needs fitness under his belt and needs to prove himself

Feeney - enough said

Smith - raw and unproven

Brooke- unproven and doesnt look prolific from what Ive seen

bemb0 - looked good last year lets hope the injury didnt take anything out of him like its done to Lewi

Keep reading this about Reid "He needs fitness "

What can he do in 3 months pre-season that he couldn't do in 5 months he has been here ??

The guy doesn't look interested and if he really wanted to impress he would have been fit before he arrived and if not at least look interested to get fit when he was here.

Think he accepted Latics deal because nobody else was interested , but obviously PD sees something in him.

Love him to prove me wrong but i wont lose any sleep over having to write an apology.

Keep reading this about Reid "He needs fitness "

What can he do in 3 months pre-season that he couldn't do in 5 months he has been here ??

The guy doesn't look interested and if he really wanted to impress he would have been fit before he arrived and if not at least look interested to get fit when he was here.

He can't be blsamed for Latics signing him when they did! And surely he is showing his interest by signing...

Think he accepted Latics deal because nobody else was interested Lots of time to get fixed up with a club between now and start of season

, but obviously PD sees something in him.

Love him to prove me wrong but i wont lose any sleep over having to write an apology.

Matt Smith goal aboout 1 min 20 secs into the video, as can be seen here he can strike the ball well and take chances too.

PD is correct in that he is a penalty box player (something that has been lacking at Latics),so don't expect him to do much outside the box or go hareing down the flanks, just take him for what he can bring to the team.

Edited by BP1960

Matt Smith goal aboout 1 min 20 secs into the video, as can be seen here he can strike the ball well and take chances too.

PD is correct in that he is a penalty box player (something that has been lacking at Latics),so don't expect him to do much outside the box or go hareing down the flanks, just take him for what he can bring to the team.

Like Prozac says...you cant tell much from the odd clip on the net. I scored a cracker on Claytons last night.

Seems to be more optimism around here though since this signing. He can stay in the pen box all game for me!

Like Prozac says...you cant tell much from the odd clip on the net. I scored a cracker on Claytons last night.

Seems to be more optimism around here though since this signing. He can stay in the pen box all game for me!

thing is though if he doesnt cut the mustard then its not the end of the world

I'd rather give lads like this a chance than :censored: journeymen looking for one last pay cheque

If he sits down and has a fag during the game I don't care as long as he's confined to that penalty box! We haven't had any one since Hughes who is willing to gamble in the box, no one to get on the end of loose balls. A real poacher.

If he sits down and has a fag during the game I don't care as long as he's confined to that penalty box! We haven't had any one since Hughes who is willing to gamble in the box, no one to get on the end of loose balls. A real poacher.

speaking of poaching these toasters are awesome ! 1361869_f260.jpg