How will we fare on Saturday?

Result for the opening day  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the result will be vs Sheff U?

Ok, so it's my first attempt at a poll, so go easy on me.....

After a reasonably promising bunch of displays and results in the pre-season, how do we think it will turn out against Sheff U?

I think it will be easy win for us. Well not easy, but not tight either. I can see Sheff Utd doing what Norwich did, coming down and thinking they can walk the league but then get hammered on first day of season because they think it will be easy.

I was speaking to a couple of their fans on Friday and they were going on as if they'll walk this league and they'll come to lowly little Oldham and we'll roll over for them along with a lot of other teams in this Division. I hope that the underdog spirit that we all love about our club will come out next week and we give them a bloodied nose, a bit like we did to Leeds a few seasons ago

Edited by Tommy_Fent

we could quite easily get romped 4-0 and be brought down to where the moaners feel we should be ie league 2.

I happen to think a tight 1-0 or 2-1 win to us. I don't think there is a lot between any of the teams in our lague even the 'big boys' and their 'big squad of stars' - hardly big players if they're playing at our level are they - stop all this hudders, sheff utd, sheff weds, preston going up malarky - yes they have the budget but its 11 v 11 regardless and Latics have the 'team' spirit.

I can see a tight win for us as above, or we absolutely shock them like hell and win 3-0 and truly show them where they are now i.e. League 1 and you need to fight all the way to survive and succeed.

KTF !!

Edited by shefflatic

Score draw.......

With a decent performance from us & that'll do me.

Decent performance, but will be ultimately toothless. Blades grab a winner in the last quarter we lose narrowly 1-0, with lots to build on but still crying out for that 'finisher'….

This is precisely what I expect.

I voted narrow win Sheff Utd although I obviously hope I'm wrong, I think they will have too much for this division and do a Norwich / Leicester.

3 points would be great but 1 wouldn't be bad.

Whatever happens I cant wait for the season to start!

Edited by lancy lad

I voted narrow win Sheff Utd although I obviously hope I'm wrong, I think they will have too much for this division and do a Norwich / Leicester.

3 points would be great but 1 wouldn't be bad.

Whatever happens I cant wait for the seaosn to start!

Can see a 1-1, by all accounts we've got a good unit at the back, but like Prozac mentioned, we're a wee bit toothless up front, so maybe from a corner we'll see a Diamond/M'voto header to make it 1-1, but with Sheff U having the higher level quality (even if it did get them relegated) and the mix of quality youth players theyve got with a couple of older experienced heads they should get back in the game, i'd be happy with 1-1.

Think they'll bring just less than 3,000 and there will be just less than 5,000 home fans, new season or not, we're not just gonna find loads of fans all of a sudden, but with Dogdale and Hudds coming up, it's all good news for the club coffers.

I was speaking to a couple of their fans on Friday and they were going on as if they'll walk this league and they'll come to lowly little Oldham and we'll roll over for them along with a lot of other teams in this Division. I hope that the underdog spirit that we all love about our club will come out next week and we give them a bloodied nose, a bit like we did to Leeds a few seasons ago

I wonder if it would be a good idea to collect some quotes on Sheff U's forums, and tell Morais et al over twitter how confident some of these fans are! :grin:

3-1 win for Latics.

That's what I'll go for.

Very optimistic, there's lots of strange results on the first day of the season but I hope we can show 'em we're not going to roll over for them and that their 'Fly by visit to their neighbours' won't be such a fly by after all.