Rochdale Match Thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was wonderful today, very even first half, their man Akpro had the beating of Lee many times but had no end product. We grafted and as Dickov said on his pre-match interview we wanted to win today. All the players were up for it, Wesolowski was sheer class today, breaking up play and was the hub of everything good we did.

Very professional 2nd half performance, we were two nil up and as long as we kept them out we got the three points. After so many bad second halves I'll take today's disciplined performance, Cisak didn't pick the ball from the back of his net, to be fair apart from the one save he made early doors second half he hadn't anything to do.

More of the same please and we'll maybe surprise a few teams.

The first i've seen of him today, very impressed. Exactly the kind of midfielder you need at this level, composed on the ball, breaks up play, does the simple things well, excellent distribution, really good player.

Encouraging display today I thought. If Parker had shot earlier rather than trying to round the keeper, I think we would've had a third goal, and then gone on to score a few more, but that scoring touch will come with the more games he plays. Rochdale aren't a great side, but i've got no complaints from that performance today, a thoroughly professional performance.

Was it a pen? Looked stonewall from 120 yards away. Latics fan on the radio said Taylor fell over.

Steve Eyre isn't complaining:

"There were three breaches of discipline pretty quickly and they resulted in two yellow cards and a penalty. I have no complaints whatsoever about the referee's decisions."

Thought it was a penalty at the time and still think it was after seeing it on the football league show. Taylor might have gone down easily but so he should if he gets fouled.

Thought it was a penalty at the time and still think it was after seeing it on the football league show

Nothing on telly to suggest it wasn't.

There's shirt tugging as well as a pointless tackle.

Son saw a photographer's still of boot against calf, nowhere near making contact with the ball.

First 20 mins I thought we sat back a bit and gave the ball away too easily. Even then Cisak had only one shot to save.

We then got more and more into the game, Winchester settled and Wesolowski harried, and we began to close down Jones more (still would have him at Latics).

Trotman began to lose the plot and the penalty gave Latics more and more confidence. Two up at half time and the start of the second should have been when Dale showed their mettle with nothing to lose. As it was we played some great possession football making the extra man count. Could and should have buried them by 60 mins but never in any danger really.

Reid was outstanding , Diamond and Clarke looked as though they'd played together for months rather than 48 hours, and it was overall a solid if not outstanding victory.

Can't see Dale scoring many goals despite having two good wingers.

Funniest thing of the day ? Chris Taylor wincing and complaining after his hand being hurt when pulled to his feet by Paul Black!

Saddest? Trotman losing it after being sent off. Sorry Neil it was your own tackles that got you sent off, nothing Latics' players did or said. He's become a target for Dale fans on their message boards and his career seems to be on a downward spiral.

Edited by LaticsPete

It's sad whats happened to Trotman, during his first spell with us I really liked him, but during the second he was a pale shadow of his former self. And I wasn't impressed yesterday either. Maybe he's just had one injury to many.

I notice Jason Jarrett is injured for them too, seems that lad quickly loses interest when he gets a contract.

I thought jones was running the show early on, their best moves all went through him, but we were standing off them, especially in midfield.As jones tired they became less of a threat and we were well on top without really playing that well.

We got the 3pts though and that's what really matters.

Thought winchester had a bad 1st half, much improved 2nd!

Reid worked his socks off and looked good! Much improved from last season!

Lee had a terrible first 30mins against akpro(?) but once he went central lee improved!

Two centre halfs had a good game! Was impressed with clarke!

The rest of the team grew into the game after a slow start!

I still feel we're short of a striker and quality central midfielder, but i think we will be ok!

Agree about Winchester. Also - we are poor through the middle of the park - players are allowed to run through us too easily.

Thought Holness did well for them. His double goal line clearance from Lee and Winchester was magnificent. Trotman's a shadow of what he was.

If you put the ball in the air you play to Holness' strength's the kid would head a brick.

If you give him the ball and put him under pressure he'll panick and probably lose it.

Everytime he has the ball at his feet he puts it out for a throwing. When we play them again we need to close him down constantly to look for that error and avoid putting anything near his head.

Credit needs to go to PD for them struggling to do anything in the 2nd half, 10 men helped but Jones was still on and everthing went through him. In the 2nd half Wes stuck on him and didn't give him space, I imgine PD told him to that and people moaning about the 2nd half performance- Latics did what they had to. They made sure we didn't let slip at the back and give them a way back in, in 2 months with more confidence a game like that could be 3 or 4 nil.

Credit needs to go to PD for them struggling to do anything in the 2nd half, 10 men helped but Jones was still on and everthing went through him. In the 2nd half Wes stuck on him and didn't give him space, I imgine PD told him to that and people moaning about the 2nd half performance- Latics did what they had to. They made sure we didn't let slip at the back and give them a way back in, in 2 months with more confidence a game like that could be 3 or 4 nil.

Winchester was struggling first half because he was supposed to be watching Jones and kept losing him. Second half when JW took over it gave Winchester a lot more freedom. Some of the balls he was playing were brilliant. He could be comfortably filling the gap that Stevens left if he continues developing.

The shot that Holness cleared off the line was very sweetly struck.

Winchester was struggling first half because he was supposed to be watching Jones and kept losing him. Second half when JW took over it gave Winchester a lot more freedom. Some of the balls he was playing were brilliant. He could be comfortably filling the gap that Stevens left if he continues developing.

I like Carl Winchester - he seems an honest kid who looks the sort who won't give you any bother as a manager; and will give 100% whenever he's called on.

He is naive in his general play though - and plenty of times on Saturday he made poor decisions. That will improve with experience and more games though.

I can't help thinking we'll struggle if we base our CM creativity on his young shoulders though. He shouldn't be getting 30-odd starts this season IMO; more used as & when needed and an option from the bench.

Against better sides than Rochdale, I think we'll be more exposed through the centre.

I think the lad is a talent, & he has a real chance to make it, but I wouldn’t want him playing week in, week out for us as I think he'd likely show the effects of burn out and would be found out soon enough with game after game….

I like Carl Winchester - he seems an honest kid who looks the sort who won't give you any bother as a manager; and will give 100% whenever he's called on.

He is naive in his general play though - and plenty of times on Saturday he made poor decisions. That will improve with experience and more games though.

I can't help thinking we'll struggle if we base our CM creativity on his young shoulders though. He shouldn't be getting 30-odd starts this season IMO; more used as & when needed and an option from the bench.

Against better sides than Rochdale, I think we'll be more exposed through the centre.

I think the lad is a talent, & he has a real chance to make it, but I wouldn’t want him playing week in, week out for us as I think he'd likely show the effects of burn out and would be found out soon enough with game after game….

Winchester could do with experienced playmaker next to him, as seen on saturday, he passed the ball back a few to many times when a pass forward was on, and sometimes it took him (and wes) to long to switch the ball to the oppo flank, especially in second half when Lee could of been free to run at them numerous times if it wasn't for our midfield hestitating, but this will come in time. He grow's game by game, but he looked more nervous than usual on saturday, perhaps it was the effect of him playing in his first derby game, but he will get better game by game, but musn't be overused this season.

Winchester doesn't need to be that creative if we play 4-2-3-1. I don't think it was a coincidence that in the first 25 minutes we did very little and Morais hadn't really gotten a touch. When Morais and Parker switched wings we looked a lot more dangerous as we got Morais on the ball more. I wouldn't expect Winchester to be first choice when everyone is available and at his age I'd be wary of over playing him. With Smith, Reid, Parker, Morais and Taylor we have more variation up front than last year, which was all a bit samey and our Plan B was to stick a centre half up front

Winchester doesn't need to be that creative if we play 4-2-3-1. I don't think it was a coincidence that in the first 25 minutes we did very little and Morais hadn't really gotten a touch. When Morais and Parker switched wings we looked a lot more dangerous as we got Morais on the ball more. I wouldn't expect Winchester to be first choice when everyone is available and at his age I'd be wary of over playing him. With Smith, Reid, Parker, Morais and Taylor we have more variation up front than last year, which was all a bit samey and our Plan B was to stick a centre half up front

With Smith, Reid, Parker, Morais and Taylor we have more variation up front than last year.

When I started watching Latics that would have been our forward line....Taylor Outside right, Morais Outside left, Reid Inside right, Parker inside left and Smith centre forward......them were the days!!!

Trotman was unlucky to get two yellows.

Cant agree with you there ,

he was caught completely flat footed when Reid shot by him and he pulled him back by his shirt, Yellow card in any match

He was completely late in on Lee , Yellow card in any match

Im of that opinion with Smith. No way should we be depending on a rookie in his first pro season for goals

With Smith, Reid, Parker, Morais and Taylor we have more variation up front than last year.

When I started watching Latics that would have been our forward line....Taylor Outside right, Morais Outside left, Reid Inside right, Parker inside left and Smith centre forward......them were the days!!!

Interesting that four of the five started the game though - attack, attack attack.. :wink:

I agree Razz; its a big ask & too much to expect Smith to lead our line and be a regular source of goals in his debut season in the pro game; coming in straight from Uni.

I actually like the tactic of using him off the bench; as PD did Vs Scunny & 'Dale. He gives the defenders something different to think about - and I'm sure seeing him come on with 20mins to go isn't a sight too many CB's will relish?

But, IMO we need another striker in still; one with more league experience to offset Smith inexperience.

I was extremely disappointed with Winchester on Saturday.

Looked like a lost school kid in the first half and then in the 2nd he had so much space he didn't know what to do with it most of the time.

Second half i lost count of the numbers of times he came into our half to collect the ball.

Had yards and yards of open space in front and then passed it back to the CH !!!!!!!

On a few occassions he drifted forward he made some good passes but overall considering the amount of space he had he was very dissappointing.

Stephens would have absolutely annihilated dale on saurday given that kind of space.

I know he is young with a lot to learn but still disappointed with him on saturday.