David Mellor

I thinks a close run thing between him & Winchester as to which one leaves us first for a high up club.

Both show so much promise; they surely can't have gone unnoticed by scouts / clubs??

I would have included Tarky in that too; had it not been for the timing of his injury.....

He's only a YTS though isn't he? (Mellor I mean) - Winchester has a proper contract but Mellor is still on youth terms no?

Not sure if Mellor has a pro' contract.

I've heard through his neighbour that Fulham have made an approach for him.

He looks very promising but with so little first team minutes under his belt you can't say with any certainty that he'd be a big miss and the money could prove useful.

Not sure if Mellor has a pro' contract.

I've heard through his neighbour that Fulham have made an approach for him.

He looks very promising but with so little first team minutes under his belt you can't say with any certainty that he'd be a big miss and the money could prove useful.

depends which way you look at things...yes he is young raw got talent and not played much first team football,however he has made an impact when he has played....

he could quite easily play next week and get a horror tackle n take him out for 12 months...or he could play next week then get snapped up by a prem team for decentish cash and add ons,thus helping us pay the bills a bit longer....

Young Mellor has made an immediate impact on the first team and looks like a good prospect.

How would everyone feel if he made a move to the Premiership before the end of the transfer window?

Not surprised, especially as he wasn't selected yesterday.

Disappointed, as always.

Accepting, if it sees Latics through the next crisis and the definition of "undisclosed" is a good number.

Sounds like he was a little distracted before the game, and who can blame him?

If he was talking to some suits right on the club's doorstep, it would appear that agreement on a fee has already been reached.

It's a shame that we're not going to see how good he can get (unless he gets loaned back of course), but this could give Dickov some more manoeuvrability in the transfer market.

i do find it funny how a sighting of mellor with his agent = he's off with no proof

if he is off then i would expect news on the OS in due course; if fulhm are interested then that is an illegal approach as they need to go via the club first to agree a fee, then talk to the player.

If he does go, yet another sad state of affairs regarding the mentality of young players.

He would end up in their youth team and then reserves over the next 4 years and after all that may well be released onto the scrapheap.

He should stay with us over the next 2-3 years at least, when he would be 20/21, get himself into our first team on a more regular basis and then we can earn some $$ ala Trotman.

Don't be dazzled by those bright lights David, they'll soon burn out......

Whilst I agree its inevitable and all we have to do is also understand the Spencers/Eaves/Philliskirks will go for cold hard cash. Plenty will never be heard of again above our level. Now if we got £1,000,000 signed MacDonald and let Blitz have £400k a good deal.

Do you know something we don't?

i do find it funny how a sighting of mellor with his agent = he's off with no proof

I think it justifies a bit of wild speculation and gossip on a messageboard.

if he is off then i would expect news on the OS in due course;

No :censored:! But owtb has a rather good record of breaking the news before it is officially confirmed. Long may that continue (even if it does occasionally naff off those at the club).

if fulhm are interested then that is an illegal approach as they need to go via the club first to agree a fee, then talk to the player.

How do we know they haven't already gone through the right channels?

If he does go, yet another sad state of affairs regarding the mentality of young players.

"Hi David. We'll pay you 5 times the money <or insert much larger multiple> you're on now and give you access to better training faciltiies, coaches of a higher standard and a chance of playing in the planet's richest league. Fancy it?" - my mentality would not be to stay at the :censored:heap that is Oldham Athletic.

In complete fairness to the player, it may well be that Oldham Athletic are keen on striking a deal.

He would end up in their youth team and then reserves over the next 4 years and after all that may well be released onto the scrapheap.

The same could happen at Latics. Or he gets a handful of first team games, makes a couple of errors, loses confidence and ends up playing at Staylbridge Celtic.

He should stay with us over the next 2-3 years at least, when he would be 20/21, get himself into our first team on a more regular basis and then we can earn some $$ ala Trotman.

I suspect £250k now (guess on my part) and some add-ons when he makes his England debut would be considered preferably to £500k possibly, maybe, perhaps, in the future.

The story may, of course, be a load of nonsense. But when a cash strapped club like Oldham Athletic has the chance to realise some cash, they'd be stupid not to consider it.

Edited by opinions4u

if he is off then i would expect news on the OS in due course; if fulhm are interested then that is an illegal approach as they need to go via the club first to agree a fee, then talk to the player.

Don't be dazzled by those bright lights David, they'll soon burn out......