will we or wont we

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not playing Germany we're playing bloody Yeovil and Adams and Holden also cut inside but 90% of the time they got their crosses in sometimes early and sometimes late but to great effect!!

Morais and Taylor.....crosses = nil. I'm sorry but I don't agree with you, we're playing in the third division not the premiership and if you attack down the flanks (especially at home) with pace you're going to do some damage!!!!

you'll be surprised how many Third Division teams use wingers that way now, a lot of the latest generation of players will of been brought up playing 5 a-side where close control and pass and move along the ground is the key

as for the way we attack I think variation is the key you're right we would cause a lot of damage playing down the flanks but as long as we've got other attacking outlets, the best sides we've had in recent years was during 02-03 because the whole midfield had goals in them

you'll be surprised how many Third Division teams use wingers that way now, a lot of the latest generation of players will of been brought up playing 5 a-side where close control and pass and move along the ground is the key

as for the way we attack I think variation is the key you're right we would cause a lot of damage playing down the flanks but as long as we've got other attacking outlets, the best sides we've had in recent years was during 02-03 because the whole midfield had goals in them

you'll be surprised how many Third Division teams use wingers that way now, a lot of the latest generation of players will of been brought up playing 5 a-side where close control and pass and move along the ground is the key................

We are a very young side at average age 23 so I would say we had a fair few of the latest generation...............don't see too much pass and move along the ground in our squad......do you?

I think for our budget, we may have the best creative mid's we can get in taylor and morais, but are being wasted on the wing, morais especially. I'd say get in a pacy winger, who doesn't mess about with fancy tricks etc, just knocks ball past oppo and sticks in a decent cross and have Morais in a free role in and around the striker, linking midfield and attack. Don't think can expect much today and tomorrow, recently with playing 1 up front, we don't need another striker in, as Reid upfront by himself, we have good enough cover in Smith and Parker once fit, and can see them getting around 30-40 between them (hopefully). However, someone half decent will become available, and might be able to tempt them in, but think it's more likely we'll see a loan from prem club.

Taylor and/or Morais could be used centrally but not in a flat 4-4-2, they could play in a 4-2-3-1, like they did to good effect a couple of times last season. But they need proper midfielders behind them.

We're not playing Germany we're playing bloody Yeovil and Adams and Holden also cut inside but 90% of the time they got their crosses in sometimes early and sometimes late but to great effect!!

Morais and Taylor.....crosses = nil. I'm sorry but I don't agree with you, we're playing in the third division not the premiership and if you attack down the flanks (especially at home) with pace you're going to do some damage!!!!

It depends how predictable it is though. Its great seeing a winger beat his man get to the bye line put in a cross for the centre forward to power in a header into the onion bag. But I think what Tommy is getting at is that if thats all he can do then full backs will suss them out the example here being Paul Edwards who was quick and put in the odd decent cross however he could only go on his outside and as aresult became fairly predictable for full backs to play against. Don't forget if you are going down the outside your going onto the fullbacks stronger foot so that means he's more likely to make a tackle.

That said Id like to see both Taylor and Morais get to the bye line abit more and put the ball in, and I'd like to see Paul black overlap abit more because its more often than not the overlapping full back who has the most room to cross the ball

We are a very young side at average age 23 so I would say we had a fair few of the latest generation...............don't see too much pass and move along the ground in our squad......do you?

Well it explains why a lot of wingers cut inside more these days and I've seen it when we've been playing well but I think the movement side has been a massive problem so we've been resorting to long balls, hence why I think the problem area is in the midfield we've not been the same side since Stephens left

For my two penneth; I think we're pretty set for strikers really. Our budget as we all know well is very poor; and I think between Reid as the 'main man' with Smith & Parker as off-the-bench options; for our level and budget we're set.

Where we need urgent attention IMO is in the centre of midfield.

Wes looks a good solid signing as a ball-winning 'yard dog' type, and furman (when fit obviously) has the engine to do the get up & down box to box role; but what we lack IMO is a midfielder who can dictate, pick a pass and move us forward.

I like young Winchester, he has a lot of potential BUT if we're going to be using him in the CM role for 30+ games this season; then frankly we're in trouble. He has talent, but in no way should we be basing such a crucial area of the team around a just 18year old kid.

Be it a young loan player in the mould of a Kilkenny or a Cwyka, or an older; wiser head in a John Sheridan mould - we need an additon in the CM area and fast.

We're set at CB now, full-back isn't a great concern, out wide we're covered and we'll do up-top......but its the key area slap-bang in the centre of the pitch where we are lacking massively. 1 quality player in that area before the window shuts will make a hug difference to how we shape up this season IMO.

Be it a young loan player in the mould of a Kilkenny or a Cwyka, or an older; wiser head in a John Sheridan mould - we need an additon in the CM area and fast.......but its the key area slap-bang in the centre of the pitch where we are lacking massively. 1 quality player in that area before the window shuts will make a hug difference to how we shape up this season IMO.

Maybe we should see if that Paul Scholes lad would be interested???

:grin:

For my two penneth; I think we're pretty set for strikers really. Our budget as we all know well is very poor; and I think between Reid as the 'main man' with Smith & Parker as off-the-bench options; for our level and budget we're set.

Where we need urgent attention IMO is in the centre of midfield.

Wes looks a good solid signing as a ball-winning 'yard dog' type, and furman (when fit obviously) has the engine to do the get up & down box to box role; but what we lack IMO is a midfielder who can dictate, pick a pass and move us forward.

I like young Winchester, he has a lot of potential BUT if we're going to be using him in the CM role for 30+ games this season; then frankly we're in trouble. He has talent, but in no way should we be basing such a crucial area of the team around a just 18year old kid.

Be it a young loan player in the mould of a Kilkenny or a Cwyka, or an older; wiser head in a John Sheridan mould - we need an additon in the CM area and fast.

We're set at CB now, full-back isn't a great concern, out wide we're covered and we'll do up-top......but its the key area slap-bang in the centre of the pitch where we are lacking massively. 1 quality player in that area before the window shuts will make a hug difference to how we shape up this season IMO.

Totally agree wih you 100%

Out of our financial league but a Koumas type signing is what we need (expecting one or 2 prem loans) - heard we have already over-extended budget wise with the squad we currently have, so i'd dread to think what the budget actually is off the back of mainly kids and only 6 or 7 'established' first teamers who even themselves are early-mid 20's.

must be tough for PD, really must.

Edited by shefflatic

With the team we have now, bearing in mind this is without injuries. Id play this 4-2-3-1 system (at home).

Cisak

lee mvoto clarke black

furman wes

parker morais taylor

Reid

This gives us pace up front with players interchanging. Having not missed a game yet i think away from home we need to be more rigid playing 4-4-2 with smith and reid up front and drop a flair player like morais.

Obviously we need to strengthen and them teams and tactics could change but we will see.

rumours from twitter

- Wilbraham and McNamee from Norwich

- first signing to be tied up early afternoon (not a striker), possibly another to follow

Both of these would improve us; which is the 1st thing you look for.

I would have thought both could do better than us though; after being involved in a Championship promotion side (Arron more than Anthony but still)

rumours from twitter

- Wilbraham and McNamee from Norwich

- first signing to be tied up early afternoon (not a striker), possibly another to follow

can see Wilbraham happening, altho the money could be out of our reach, as I was surprised when he went to Norwich. Reasonable goal scoring record at this level. Who is Mcnamee?

can see Wilbraham happening, altho the money could be out of our reach, as I was surprised when he went to Norwich. Reasonable goal scoring record at this level. Who is Mcnamee?

small (very small) black lad; wide player on either wing. Fast but hit & miss end product.

exactly why he has no future at Norwich; far off a Prem player. Same for Wilbraham really......