I've just cottoned on to your game sunshine! You are using this as your comeback excuse do that if we get to Wembley, you can't be accused of being a glory hunter!

You devious bastard!! ;-

Steady on big boy.

I'm no ones glory hunter and would much prefer that elusive new away ground.

Wembly, been and done not interested. Give me Underhill every day.

#kickitout

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just words. That's it. An insult. I don't care if it's racially motivated insults.

My race/ethnicity does not identify me in the least, and even if it did I would not give a monkey's uncle what some individual, who in no way impacts upon my life, thinks of that race/ethnicity, especially when I have the ultimate distraction of an important game to focus my energies on.

Failure to control emotions is a temperament issue and Tom Adeyemi displayed that in spades the other night. Call me ignorant if you wish, but I find that tar-brushing me as ignorant just because I haven't experienced racism first hand, is itself a display of ignorance.

I understand what is a rational reaction to the kind of situation Tom Adeyemi was presented with (an insult from the crowd). Adeyemi reacted poorly to that situation. I only hope that he learns from the experience.

trollface.jpg

Spot on. Sick of the moronic comments on other message boards about him supposedly over-reacting, "look at what players like Cyrille Regis had to put up with, they never reacted like that". Well you know what, the world's moved on since then and i'd like to think we've made some progress. Tom Adeyemi's grown up in a world where racist abuse isn't an unfortunate fact of life that you're expected to put up with, and experiencing it for the first time in the biggest game of his career so far must have made it all the more upsetting. If he hadn't reacted, no action would have been taken (i'm sure we've all heard racist abuse at some point and not reported it or confronted the tool responsible, i know i have), the gob:censored:e in question would almost certainly have carried on doing it in the future, people around him who are young/impressionable/stupid enough would think that it's acceptable, and the :censored:ty circle remains unbroken.

100% agree. As I've mentioned previously, Tom's desicion to about face and confront the yob (probably knowing that the others would turn against him as well) was not only right, but amongst the bravest and dignified actions I've seen on a football field.

100% agree. As I've mentioned previously, Tom's desicion to about face and confront the yob (probably knowing that the others would turn against him as well) was not only right, but amongst the bravest and dignified actions I've seen on a football field.

Oliver Holt in the Mirror says:

...thankfully, players such as Adeyemi are not prepared to suffer in silence any more. They are not prepared to allow abuse like this to be classed as a necessary part of the game.

I'm amazed * that there are people who are questioning Tom's reactions & his temperament to this whole ugly & unsavoury incident.

I know plenty of people who could be described as 'old timers' I guess, who were subjected to horrible racial abuse in the 50's, 60's, 70's - and to a degree, became hardened to it as a result of the frequency of abuse they experienced.

We have, thankfully, come a long way since - but incidents of the last month have shown that we still have a huge way to go.

It would be my guess here that this is the first time young Tom Adeyemi has encountered anything like this before Friday night. He hasn't had the need to become 'hardened' to it and simply isn't used to it.

I think under the circumstances his reaction was / is holey understandable of someone who simply hasn't had to be subjected to that sort of moronic racial abuse. He's a 20 year lad let's remember, he was enjoying the biggest night of his footballing career to date, he was doing extremely well in an unfamiliar position when an absolute nezbitt decided to abuse him. He reacted to it. I totally understand why he did - & I actually commend him for doing so.

I think it's worth making the point that had he not reacted in the way he did, & had just "got on with it" as someone has suggested, then this buffoon would have got away with the offense. The media coverage his reaction has brought has highlighted the issue more than him 'just getting on with it' ever would have, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm proud of him, his reaction to what is a horrible situation to be put in, and to our players; namely Diamond, Furman & Taylor & their reactions to a clearly upset & shocked teammate in distress.

…………..and quite frankly, anyone on here who is saying anything otherwise needs to have a look at themselves as far as I'm concerned.

.* in consideration; I'm actually not that amazed there are some doing that…

I have a question, how do clubs protect players from any abuse?

I believe Liverpool may have approached the FA over protecting Suarez on his return, but how do we protect Adeyemi? I now fear he will become a target because it has been widely reported he cried ( as in soft and not in anger). It is already on Huddersfield fans forum to target him (okay maybe one but thats enough)

How does a club "manage" not just their own fans but the opposition fans and do we as fans have a duty of care to police our own special few?

TBH on the night, I actually thought it was an off the ball handbag incident, it wasn't until I saw Kuyt and Gerrards softly approach rather than a "joey Barton" in yer face stance that I said the the chap next to me somethings gone on there and then when the booing started for Adeyemi, we sing out "your just a town full of racists...." oh dear.

How does a club "manage" not just their own fans but the opposition fans and do we as fans have a duty of care to police our own special few?

As we're taking a serious look at this issue, it should be remembered that the abuse does not have to be racially motivated to be a criminal offence.

A person is also guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he/she uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.

e.g. Ian Thomas Moore and possible abuse of Tom by fans of Huddersfield and future opponents.

I think Adeyemi will be further annoyed that he is now known as 'Oldham defender Tom Adeyemi' when he is by all rights a Midfielder.

No one deserves to walk away from a football ground upset for anything other than the result.

Football exists to bind communities, people play and watch football to enjoy themselves if that isn't the case what is the point?

I hope that from now on, no player, even if they are not the one who is the target of the abuse will be prepared to "put up with" racist remarks from the stands, and they will Do an Adeyami and point out the culprit/s to the stewards so that action can be taken against them.

Edited by laticsrblue

Talking to a lad in work who was stood on the Kop, apparently the reason so many of the Liverpool fans started singing the Suarez song in response to the incident was that people thought he was having a go at the people at the front in the Suarez t-shirts and :censored: hats, and wrongly thought he was having a go at them for singing Suarez's name. Fair play to him, he was ashamed of what had happened - "on the bright side, i should get a bit of a refund on my season ticket when they make us play behind closed doors for 6 games after the United match".

Edited by rosa