• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting he saw an opportunity for the race bandwagon to gain momentum and took it!? Not excusing if anything was said by the way!

I don't think that's what o4u was suggesting at all. I would guess that he was probably frustrated that we were losing, he was shocked at what was allegedly shouted at him (and i'm not having this 'stuff like that gets shouted every week' nonsense that's being thrown around on some message boards, no it thankfully doesn't, and he's young enough that it's quite possible he hasn't had that shouted at him before), and he was angry that the referee was telling him to calm down and possibly thought it wasn't being taken seriously.

Depressingly predictable comments on the Liverpool Echo website - Liverpool and Everton bitching and sniping at each other and trying to use the racism issue to score cheap points off each other. When people ask why i didn't end up supporting either of the Merseyside clubs, i just don't know what to tell them.

Can you just clarify your post?

Yes.

I said: "I don't think he was necessarily soft ... more extraordinarily angered by the situation. Big difference."

Some people have said he's soft for crying. I don't acually see tears on his face in any of the footage (although he does clearly wipe his face). This isn't somebody being soft and crying in the corner until teacher comes to comfort him. The lad is extraordinarily angry with what's been said and has the guts to go face to face with the culprit to say that it's not acceptable. He is "standing up against racism" and is pumped up and angry about it.

Are you suggesting he saw an opportunity for the race bandwagon to gain momentum and took it!? Not excusing if anything was said by the way!

I don't think he saw it as an opportunity for anything. What happened was reactionary and, in the cold light of day, he may wish he'd been able to deal with it more calmly. How he reacted was charged by what he believed to have been said. I don't hear comments such as those that are alleged to be said at football grounds and I do see many games besides Oldham during a season. So I'm not sure he will be "used to it" in this day and age and certainly not if it was directed at a personal level.

To say his reaction was "soft" is wrong. Direct, yes. Brave, perhaps. Out of character, yes (based on the dozen or so appearences I've seen). Fuelled by real anger, yes.

He should "man up" some have said. I think they're wrong. I don't the weaknesses shown here are those of somebody who should "man up".

Edited by opinions4u

I honestly don't think white people can really understand what it is like to be racially abused... The emotions involved...

Yeah white people can suffer it but with the history and everything I think it means more to a black person, I really do....

I dont look down on the lad for losing it a bit,,,

Edited by oafc0000

After the Police investigation, the Crown Prosecution Service will have to decide whether there’s sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and whether it’s in the public interest to prosecute this case. As the CPS operates on a performance-related pay basis, it’s by no means certain that there will be a prosecution.

If a prosecution goes ahead, the offence is likely to be the use of threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress which was racially aggravated, in accordance with the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. The maximum sentence is a fine or conditional discharge or both.

A prosecution may also be brought under the Football Offences Act 1991, which prohibits the chanting of indecent or racist language. The Football Spectators Act 1989 allows the court to restrict an offender convicted of a football-related offence from attending matches at home and abroad, and requires the offender to attend a local police station.

If the court is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to believe that making a Football Banning Order would help prevent violence or disorder at football matches, then in addition to any sentence imposed, it can also make a Football Banning Order for a period of 1-3 years. This prohibits the person from attending a domestic or European football match. If the Order is breached, the offender can be punished by a fine and up to 6 months imprisonment.

Tom needs a lot of credit for his reaction i think. if he had gone into his shell and tried to ignore, this may never have come out in public that he was racially abused. if he kept it quiet, went into the changing room and never said anything then that "fan" gets off free. his reaction, to me, shows a young 20 year old footballer standing up to racism.

ALSO, whilst it was just 1 fan who abused him the chorus of boo's for him was disgraceful and that angered me more than anything. near enough the whole of the Liverpool fans got on his back because of his reaction to abuse. im not having "they didnt know it was racist though". whatever, he was obviously abused or had something unpleasant said, something thrown at him etc. that was clear for all to see

I spoke to Tom in the sauna at the gym on Saturday morning. It was a racist comment he reacted to, not manc. He was genuinely shocked that it was on the back pages, and said he'd rather be on their for scoring a screamer like robbies.

Chatted about the rest of the game for a while. The incident didn't appear to have taken the gloss off his evening, could tell he was buzzing about the whole game and the big games to come. Said he hopes the performance will give the team the self belief that they can beat anyone on the day. Onwards and upwards and all that. Seems like a really top bloke.

Incidentally, the whole team looked a bit bemused when I stood at the side of the pool (they were doing a warm down session) and did the two armed bowing thing at them all!

I spoke to Tom in the sauna at the gym on Saturday morning. It was a racist comment he reacted to, not manc. He was genuinely shocked that it was on the back pages, and said he'd rather be on their for scoring a screamer like robbies.

Chatted about the rest of the game for a while. The incident didn't appear to have taken the gloss off his evening, could tell he was buzzing about the whole game and the big games to come. Said he hopes the performance will give the team the self belief that they can beat anyone on the day. Onwards and upwards and all that. Seems like a really top bloke.

Incidentally, the whole team looked a bit bemused when I stood at the side of the pool (they were doing a warm down session) and did the two armed bowing thing at them all!

Did you drop yer trunks and jump in with yer armbands on whilst singing come on oldham??.

Tom needs a lot of credit for his reaction i think. if he had gone into his shell and tried to ignore, this may never have come out in public that he was racially abused. if he kept it quiet, went into the changing room and never said anything then that "fan" gets off free. his reaction, to me, shows a young 20 year old footballer standing up to racism.

ALSO, whilst it was just 1 fan who abused him the chorus of boo's for him was disgraceful and that angered me more than anything. near enough the whole of the Liverpool fans got on his back because of his reaction to abuse. im not having "they didnt know it was racist though". whatever, he was obviously abused or had something unpleasant said, something thrown at him etc. that was clear for all to see

Fully agree.

Been watching the wall to wall coverage and at times I've thought that he shouldn't have started crying about it and after seeing what that pleb on DATM has put he maybe has made himself look soft and other fans may get on his back but, this morning watching the highlights again I'm proud that he did what he did.

The shout must have been made when he was retrieving the ball, when he is getting back into position it looks like he thinks that he isn't standing for it and goes back to give the fan both barrels which is when it all kicks off. I bet he hasn't had that abuse before, I've heard plenty of racism on the terraces but it has all been quiet under the breath stuff. Only once have I been at a game and someone has shouted it out loud, I bet this is the first time Adeyemi has heard it which is why his reaction was the way it was. Seeing the ref doing his calm down, calm down act must have just wound him up further as it looks like he wasn't taking it seriously which is possibly when the frustration takes over and the tears start.

He'll have it rough over the coming weeks, some bellends in opposition crowds will have a pop at him but he still did the right thing.

Yes.

I said: "I don't think he was necessarily soft ... more extraordinarily angered by the situation. Big difference."

Some people have said he's soft for crying. I don't acually see tears on his face in any of the footage (although he does clearly wipe his face). This isn't somebody being soft and crying in the corner until teacher comes to comfort him. The lad is extraordinarily angry with what's been said and has the guts to go face to face with the culprit to say that it's not acceptable. He is "standing up against racism" and is pumped up and angry about it.

I don't think he saw it as an opportunity for anything. What happened was reactionary and, in the cold light of day, he may wish he'd been able to deal with it more calmly. How he reacted was charged by what he believed to have been said. I don't hear comments such as those that are alleged to be said at football grounds and I do see many games besides Oldham during a season. So I'm not sure he will be "used to it" in this day and age and certainly not if it was directed at a personal level.

To say his reaction was "soft" is wrong. Direct, yes. Brave, perhaps. Out of character, yes (based on the dozen or so appearences I've seen). Fuelled by real anger, yes.

He should "man up" some have said. I think they're wrong. I don't the weaknesses shown here are those of somebody who should "man up".

Thanks.

A

To be fair... We are talking criminal here.... Suarez isn't quite the same is it...

So what's the difference between Suarez case and John Terry / Ferdinand !!!

Is it just because Evra complained to the FA before any police investigation started ????

Edited by losesome

Thanks for this update.

It's given me (personally) a lot of confidence he can cope with some of the inevitable flak coming his way.

Looking at the pics you can see moisture glistening around his right eye, but in hindsight could just be sweat and he has wipedit, expecially as he was so incensed.

Reacting angrily to the alleged comments is understandable. Crying tears would seem unusual and unexpected and my views are pretty much the same as O4U on that.

Good to see the above. Thanks again for the update. I would think the players and club have rallied round too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenLicken

I'm more embarrassed about a grown xxxxxx man, a professional athlete nonetheless, CRYING because of something some anonymous guy shouted at him, regardless of whether he misheard or not.

Tom Adeyemi needs to take a good look at himself and grow a pair of testicles. Seriously, what a xxxxxxx milky-licking fruitbowl.

I actually agree with the sentiment of this post, even though the tone of it goes a little further than I would.

The question is, why should a grown man, a professional footballer playing in the biggest game of his life, give two craps what loser 20 year dickhead in the crowd thinks about his ethnicity. Adeyemi's temperament should be of major concern for Paul Dickov, or whichever manager ends up with him in the future.

I actually agree with the sentiment of this post, even though the tone of it goes a little further than I would.

The question is, why should a grown man, a professional footballer playing in the biggest game of his life, give two craps what loser 20 year dickhead in the crowd thinks about his ethnicity. Adeyemi's temperament should be of major concern for Paul Dickov, or whichever manager ends up with him in the future.

Thinking how to word this nicely...

So instead will just say it...

A great example of how white people can never really get racism... John Barnes was on Sky News today saying how he used to do the exact opposite of Toms reaction, but was pretty clear in stating that he totally understood his reaction as well...

To question the lads temperament really is ignorant of how racism can cut someone deep....

Thinking how to word this nicely...

So instead will just say it...

A great example of how white people can never really get racism... John Barnes was on Sky News today saying how he used to do the exact opposite of Toms reaction, but was pretty clear in stating that he totally understood his reaction as well...

To question the lads temperament really is ignorant of how racism can cut someone deep....

It's just words. That's it. An insult. I don't care if it's racially motivated insults.

My race/ethnicity does not identify me in the least, and even if it did I would not give a monkey's uncle what some individual, who in no way impacts upon my life, thinks of that race/ethnicity, especially when I have the ultimate distraction of an important game to focus my energies on.

Failure to control emotions is a temperament issue and Tom Adeyemi displayed that in spades the other night. Call me ignorant if you wish, but I find that tar-brushing me as ignorant just because I haven't experienced racism first hand, is itself a display of ignorance.

I understand what is a rational reaction to the kind of situation Tom Adeyemi was presented with (an insult from the crowd). Adeyemi reacted poorly to that situation. I only hope that he learns from the experience.

I honestly don't think white people can really understand what it is like to be racially abused... The emotions involved...

Yeah white people can suffer it but with the history and everything I think it means more to a black person, I really do....

I dont look down on the lad for losing it a bit,,,

The Worst comment I have EVER EVER read on OWTB but I dont blame you for it its just your ignorence.

3 words for you, WHITE Polish jews, do the holocaust survivors not understand because their not black???

Black or white its not so simple for racism.

What you said shows your ignorence and in todays society could be interpreted as racist!

Edited by KYLEOAFC

Call me ignorant if you wish, but I find that tar-brushing me as ignorant just because I haven't experienced racism first hand, is itself a display of ignorance.

That is some messed up logic there.

It's probably not the place to get into the in and outs of it because I really don't think anything you read on this thread would get you to really think and consider your opinion save to say that real prejudice and discrimination isn't very nice and I hope that you and yours would never experience it. In a progressive, modern society (which I hope everyone would want to be a part of) we need to be self-aware of the impact that these things can on individuals and groups and deal with them.

To say that you hope Tom "learns from the experience", I find odd. Tom reacted in a way that he's entitled to and I admire his stance and bravery because of it. Instead of just accepting these things as part of playing in front of a larger crowd or 'banter' he challenged the moron who did it. Proud of him. I hope you can learn from his example.

Edited by Twisbrogan

The Worst comment I have EVER EVER read on OWTB but I dont blame you for it its just your ignorence.

3 words for you, WHITE Polish jews, do the holocaust survivors not understand because their not black???

Black or white its not so simple for racism.

What you said shows your ignorence and in todays society could be interpreted as racist!

Ah I'll give you white polish Jews... But outside of that your really going to struggle...

I think, if you applied you brain, you will work out what I am getting at...

It's just words. That's it. An insult. I don't care if it's racially motivated insults.

My race/ethnicity does not identify me in the least, and even if it did I would not give a monkey's uncle what some individual, who in no way impacts upon my life, thinks of that race/ethnicity, especially when I have the ultimate distraction of an important game to focus my energies on.

Failure to control emotions is a temperament issue and Tom Adeyemi displayed that in spades the other night. Call me ignorant if you wish, but I find that tar-brushing me as ignorant just because I haven't experienced racism first hand, is itself a display of ignorance.

I understand what is a rational reaction to the kind of situation Tom Adeyemi was presented with (an insult from the crowd). Adeyemi reacted poorly to that situation. I only hope that he learns from the experience.

You're right, he shouldn't have reacted at all. He should've just merrily skipped back into play and forgot the whole incident ever happened.

In this day and age, it's very, very rare that a black footballer will be subjected to racist abuse. His reaction was clearly a mixture of anger and shock that he had been a victim of such abuse. I really can't blame him for his reaction, and actually think he showed good restraint not going into the Kop and decking the sub-human cretin who called him what they did.

Ah I'll give you white polish Jews... But outside of that your really going to struggle...

I think, if you applied you brain, you will work out what I am getting at...

The Irish suffered some pretty terrible prejudice on these isles in the not so distant past.

That is some messed up logic there.

It's probably not the place to get into the in and outs of it because I really don't think anything you read on this thread would get you to really think and consider your opinion save to say that real prejudice and discrimination isn't very nice and I hope that you and yours would never experience it.

You say that as if it's impossible to change my opinion, something I constantly invite anyone to do on any subject, and welcome whenever it happens.

In a progressive, modern society (which I hope everyone would want to be a part of) we need to be self-aware of the impact that these things can on individuals and groups and deal with them.

I agree. That doesn't however mean that I should agree with the reactions of individuals and groups if I feel that their reactions are emotionally driven and without rationale.

To say that you hope Tom "learns from the experience", I find odd. Tom reacted in a way that he's entitled to and I admire his stance and bravery because of it. Instead of just accepting these things as part of playing in front of a larger crowd or 'banter' he challenged the moron who did it. Proud of him. I hope you can learn from his example.

He showed the moron that his opinion mattered and that he could get at him with a few words, instead of just saying to himself "who gives a f**k?". I am not proud of Adeyemi or his reaction. In fact at one point it looked like he was going to get himself sent off. The last thing I would would ever want anyone to do in life is learn from the example he set that night.

You say that as if it's impossible to change my opinion, something I constantly invite anyone to do on any subject, and welcome whenever it happens.

I agree. That doesn't however mean that I should agree with the reactions of individuals and groups if I feel that their reactions are emotionally driven and without rationale.

He showed the moron that his opinion mattered and that he could get at him with a few words, instead of just saying to himself "who gives a f**k?". I am not proud of Adeyemi or his reaction. In fact at one point it looked like he was going to get himself sent off. The last thing I would would ever want anyone to do in life is learn from the example he set that night.

So you think he shouldn't of stuck up for himself?