Dickov Out!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Official Calendar goes from Tuesday 27th March to Thursday 28th this month, so according to the club, we'll have an extra sunday before April.

Dickov Out.

My Latics calendar has 5 seasons;

The umpteen players in and out season (July to August).

The ok results season (September to December).

The struggle season (January to March).

The silly season when results defy logic (April to May).

The close season - when no one has a clue what's happening (June).

Of course these seasons like the weather are changeable (but not much) :wink:

Edited by BP1960

So we sack him, and give his job to someone else with no experience and little track record to speak of? That's an absolutely genius idea!

Or the alternative, we sack him and replace him with some other mediocre lower league manager. Martin Allen or some such :censored:e. Both are just pointless, sideways steps. Keep him, give him time, let him build. There's not enough patience in football these days.

Even Dickov does eventually leave under no circumstances can i see Martin Allen ever being welcomed or accepted by the Oldham fans.

sorry but whoever thinks dickov should be out, should be shot, fair enough intitled to thier own opinion, but we've been in two good cup runs, which we havent done in almost 4 years. also fair enough we should be up their in the playoffs, youve got some massive teams in our league, 6/7 i could name as championship teams... we've still got 2 games in hand over many which can still push us up 3/4 places up the league, hoping that we win... dont see what the big fuss is about, if everyone turned up every week, instead of coming on the 'exciting games' such as liverpool, and i imagine sheffield on saturday. if your a true oldham support you'll be backing dickov and the lads no matter what they do...

I dont buy this we had two good cup runs crap. JPT we beat a very poor Scunny team and a few league 2 teams. FA Cup we beat a 10 man poor league 2 team and a decent league 2 team and got the luck of the draw! Fair enough you can only beat whats in front of you.

Dont want Dickov out though, give him next season to see if he learns etc.

So that's settled then? We all like Dickov and the way he tries to set up his teams to play, we respect that his job isn't the easiest in the world but we also all acknowledge that the team is punching below its weight and that the messiah still has a lot to learn.

Simples

I dont buy this we had two good cup runs crap. JPT we beat a very poor Scunny team and a few league 2 teams. FA Cup we beat a 10 man poor league 2 team and a decent league 2 team and got the luck of the draw! Fair enough you can only beat whats in front of you.

Dont want Dickov out though, give him next season to see if he learns etc.

In 1994 on our run to the semi-final we didn't play a single Premiership team along the way. (Derby, Stoke, Barnsley and Bolton). I've never seen anyone downplaying that run before.

In 1994 on our run to the semi-final we didn't play a single Premiership team along the way. (Derby, Stoke, Barnsley and Bolton). I've never seen anyone downplaying that run before.

It's a fair response.

But we haven't actually beaten anybody who is any good this season. Unless you count MK Dons when nobody turned up.

So that's settled then? We all like Dickov and the way he tries to set up his teams to play, we respect that his job isn't the easiest in the world but we also all acknowledge that the team is punching below its weight and that the messiah still has a lot to learn.

Simples

Define exactly what you mean by 'punching below our weight' and the level you think where we should be punching

Maybe Oldham should be a bit higher in the league considering the players they have, maybe more towards the top half, if thats what you were referring to then agree to an extent.

But if the implication is that Oldham ought to be challenging for playoffs/promotion with the squad currently at their disposal then could not disagree more, especially considering that the only two teams Oldham have beat that are currently above them in the league are MK Dons and Notts County.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Define exactly what you mean by 'punching below our weight' and the level you think where we should be punching

Maybe Oldham should be a bit higher in the league considering the players they have, maybe more towards the top half. But if the implication is that Oldham ought to be challenging for playoffs/promotion with the squad currently at their disposal then could not disagree more, especially considering that the only two teams Oldham have beat that are currently above them in the league are MK Dons and Notts County, then I couldn't disagree more.

Having watched the team a number of times this season, it is patently clear that we are a middle of the league side and no more. I already look towards next season with a mix of hope and fear - if we keep the good players and add to them then we can look towards the play offs - if we don't then it's all about starting again and trying to build again.

If we can hang on to the core of the side (Cisak, Lee, Furman, Taylor, Simpson, Wesolowski plus current form players Morais & Tarkowski) and add a decent left back, centre back and striker (maybe as loanees) then we can push for the playoffs. Naturally we will need to have a reasonable blend of experience and youth on the bench(Bouzanis, Reid, MVoto, Diamond, Winchester, Millar, Mellor, Parker, Marsh-Brown etc.)

So where does that leave Kuqi? maybe he will stay for another season - no bad thing but a bonus if he does.

A left back.

A second striker who can find the net.

A third central midfielder who provides real cover for injury.

Then there's hope of something better.

Lee, Furman, Weso, Kuqi, Simpson, Taylor - despite their imperfections I'd still want them ALL here next season.

Summer will be very interesting contracts wise.

Still not sure whether we should have stuck with Shez or he pissed away promotion. But we are where we are. Dickov will do.

Edited by opinions4u

The flip side of that o4u is:

Lee, Taylor, Furman, Wes, Simpson, Kuqi....and the likes of Parker, Diallo, Millar and the rest of the kids all leave the club.

Queue the usual summer influx & us starting right back at square one.

We need to get the contracts for the above all sorted & signed; easier said than done when you're as skint as we are

E4e

#imworried

The flip side of that o4u is:

Lee, Taylor, Furman, Wes, Simpson, Kuqi....and the likes of Parker, Diallo, Millar and the rest of the kids all leave the club.

Queue the usual summer influx & us starting right back at square one.

We need to get the contracts for the above all sorted & signed; easier said than done when you're as skint as we are

E4e

#imworried

Problem is it's usually the end of July before out of contract players (or rather their agents) make a move as they wait to sort out the best offers, this leaves little time to assemble a squad. Thus we have the same merry go round every season.

Edited by BP1960

We could lay claim to having the best right back in the league, Cisak impresses me hugely, Mvoto has stepped out of a Premier League side to come here, Simpson is a player, Taylor is clearly one of the better footballers in this league, Furman is a quality player, Morais has an attacking talent that few teams can boast, Wes was a League Team of the Year player, Kuqi comes with pedigree.

Enough reasons that we should be capable of being much higher than we are. If Stevenage can be where they are then we should be up there too, and I think anyone who says otherwise is looking for excuses for Dickov.

The football this team can play when going well can be high calibre, but we are too prone to conceding soft goals and don't score half as many as we should.

We could lay claim to having the best right back in the league, Cisak impresses me hugely, Mvoto has stepped out of a Premier League side to come here, Simpson is a player, Taylor is clearly one of the better footballers in this league, Furman is a quality player, Morais has an attacking talent that few teams can boast, Wes was a League Team of the Year player, Kuqi comes with pedigree.

Enough reasons that we should be capable of being much higher than we are. If Stevenage can be where they are then we should be up there too, and I think anyone who says otherwise is looking for excuses for Dickov.

The football this team can play when going well can be high calibre, but we are too prone to conceding soft goals and don't score half as many as we should.

So from what you have said there we have 1/2 a team yet to really make a mark in this division you don't just need a team you need a squad, the only time we have really had a squad was under Iain Dowie most notably our best season however it practically bankrupted the club.

To add balance to your post, how many games have we played when all of those players were fit and available?

I made the point earlier that we have been unlucky with injuries, and made the point elsewhere that with the way that we play it is uniquely difficult for us to succeed when confidence is low and we lose key players. All true.

That is why I am broadly supportive of Dickov, I like the style of the team and I like the fact that he's brought back some pride after the last half of Shez and Penney threatened to kill it.

It does have to be said though, worse teams than us who don't have better squads are higher. And ultimately as a manager is it not his choice to go with quality over quantity? Other managers in our league would kill to have Simpson, Lee and Furman in their sides.

Edited by De_La_Vega

can you bring someone like that into an existing set up though?

in hindsight he should have gone for an older head instead of Taggart.

difficult to bring someone in now - "here's your new assistant manager lads. he knows more than Gerry did and more than me"

well ye it could be awkward but if gerry carried on working alongside dickov and the new man then he would learn and benefit aswel?

I take it most of you are on about me.

What I will say about Dickov is that he has assembled a good squad and attracted some high quality footballers to the club. However, to say he has had no money is a bit wide of the mark : Kuqi will be on a fair whack, Simpson won't have come cheap, nor would Wesolowski, Diamond and Mvoto. Adding on that we actually paid a fee for the keeper : none of that sounds like a club in financial crisis. Fair play to Corney, he has backed all his managers and put his hand in his pocket (Windass, Colbeck, Furman, Cisak immediately come to mind).

Dickov had a decent honeymoon period of Aug-Dec 2010 and since then, give or take the odd game, we have been toss. Utter toss. Not much better than served up by Dave Penis.

The players are of better quality than to be languishing in 16th place in L1. The likes of Cisak, Furman, Adeyemi (when he turns up), Wes, Taylor, Kuqi, Simpson, Lee and Mvoto are all very good L1 players, some, IMO, can and will play at a higher level. I've lost count of the amount of times we have been comfortable in a game and end up clinging on to a point or, ultimately, losing the game.

I've resigned myself to the fact that he won't be sacked, but all I hope for is that another club come and take him off our hands. As for his replacement, Dux. No hesitation for me. Knows the club, served his 'YTS' in coaching terms and, looking at our dugout, seems to be the only one to actually do any coaching. Taggart is too busy sipping his brew (although, positively, thats changed the last couple of games), Dickov is too busy arguing with the 4th official and Paul Butler is just copying everything that Dickov does (Yes boss, no boss, 3 bags full boss).

Still, he's not Dave Penney.

Keep it Latics.

I agree 100%, we have played :censored: for ages and after todays debacle only beating Sheff Utd with a last minute penalty the guy has to go!!! :wink: