The squad movements thread - who's in, who's out

Since inevitably there'll be a rash of threads on players coming and going, and who's under contract, I thought I'd start a thread to keep track of player movements.

The idea is to update it with any official stories (or at least authoritative sources, e.g. Chron, MEN, the players themselves). If it proves remotely useful, maybe one to sticky?

Edited by Crusoe

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that Kuqi isn't done and dusted just yet. His decline in recent months wouldn't have gone unnoticed in the boardroom as well as touch line.

Playing deep and being a team player is one thing but a very expensive luxury if we have nobody to score goals.

If it was me, I'd spend the funds elsewhere on long-term loans who poach goals and remain in the 6 yard box!

Id ship Smith out, take the option on Marsh Brown and focus on Simpson

Review PDs team maybe but if PD gets the push then we might as well as shut the place down.

The squad he's created is nothing short of a miracle based on the funds available. Apart from LB, we have the players, the ability and the quality to have finished a hell of a lot higher.

PD tried to get them playing but some seriously let him down and fortunately he had the option to dump them without it costing us anything and he can easily replace with better in the summer.

Dickov is the one positive at our club whereas some in the boardroom need to explain exactly what they do....and I don't mean SC!

I have a feeling that Kuqi isn't done and dusted just yet. His decline in recent months wouldn't have gone unnoticed in the boardroom as well as touch line.

Playing deep and being a team player is one thing but a very expensive luxury if we have nobody to score goals.

If it was me, I'd spend the funds elsewhere on long-term loans who poach goals and remain in the 6 yard box!

Id ship Smith out, take the option on Marsh Brown and focus on Simpson

Yesterday there was a point where Kuqi dropped to the halfway line right on the touchline infront of the dugouts, he tried to beat the fullback for pace and failed miserably to the point where their assistant manager turned around pissin himself!

A bloke sat near me said something along the lines of "time to put your slippers on, feet up and read the paper kuqi" and he was right!

Playing virtually every game this season has ruined him!

If he was going to walk why not do it last week? Sounds like rubbish to me, it would make no sense to manage a 'goodbye game'. He is talking about next season, signed up for the Sky Ride thing, staff v fans match now they are all little things but if he was planning to leave why announce he was doing that? You must have to accept he will be here in August whether he will be a few months after, well....

I've been told that PD and SC have had a massive bust up over Adeyami being sent back to Norwich without PD's input and then PD went off on holiday last week without permission (I hope you saw his tan at the match).

Comes from a very reliable source within the club and it's not chinese whispers :gossip: .

I hope PD stays and get's his act together, when you talk to him about OAFC it's like a breath of fresh air but something needs to improve and urgent.

Don't shoot the messenger :rifle:

Ian G.

Edited by pcassist

I've been told that PD and SC have had a massive bust up over Adeyami being sent back to Ipswich without PD's input and then PD went off on holiday last week without permission (I hope you saw his tan at the match).

Comes from a very reliable source within the club and it's not chinese whispers :gossip: .

I hope PD stays and get's his act together, when you talk to him about OAFC it's like a breath of fresh air but something needs to improve and urgent.

Don't shoot the messenger :rifle:

Ian G.

For a start, i'd hope they sent him back to norwich :grin: and if there is any truth in PD shooting off on his jollies then that wouldn't go down well with SC at all.

Sounds unlikely to me.........but this is latics.

he is on a 12 month rolling deal as is GT so no pay-off needed.

I am a big fan of him as a bloke and our form until Feb last season and some of the football was fantastic, it felt like the whole squad and fans were in it together as we really harried teams and the football particularly against huddersfield at home was one of the most cut-throat 'get at them' performances i have witnessed in my time as a fan (since the 1st of our so far 15 seasons in league one - and no i don't know the reason why i still bother!).

However, we have stopped closing teams down as we did do, the football really has been poor if i am being brutally honest, fan of PD or not - i cannot blame those who have described this year as :censored: or who haven't bothered going - bar Sheff Utd away the only game enjoyable league game for me this year was the 5-2 v chesterfield.

PD certainly has - and is - good at getting a team of half decent players in on limited resources; he also can only do so much as regards not being able to make the right decisions on the pitch for players and cannot leglislate for pieces of play and decision from players all over the pitch that are simply indefensible ala Kuqi yesterday - defended him all this season but that was disgusting yesterday putting himself ahead of the team (and he had 5 minutes to look up and pass it - no bobble and no player near him until he ran it out himself).

But by the same token we have been unable to play any sort of conducive passing football, we have looked good in one or two games but on the whole the players do look clueless when attacking teams - no one moves off the ball or is proactive in anticipating attacking phases or in spotting where the opposition are going to play the ball and intercept it.

Kuqi's insistance as commendable as it is in doing everything all over the pitch means we have no one in the box - the fact that PD has played him every game this season purely given his age highlights that either he has it in his contract that he has to play in every game otherwise he wasn't signing for us; or more than likely PD is too much of a mate and hasn't the balls to MANAGE and drop him/change it when necessary.

Teams need 4 or 5 passes to get in our box whereas we need 25 to get on the edge of theirs. A real lack of tempo in every game and no one seems to have the desire to attack at teams or to make things happen.

Again, i really like him as a person and i think he genuinely gives a :censored: about wanting to do well for us as a club - he clearly isn't that stupid as watching his interview pm yesterday he looked and said as much that this season has been :censored:e.

I don't mind if he stays and starts next season - i for one am sick of firing someone as soon as we hit a :censored:ty patch, start again, new players, :censored:, sacked, start again and so on.

BUT in saying all this, fundamentally we have been :censored:e xmas onwards in both seasons which PD at least recognises - i just have my doubts that tactically he cannot do it - players may change but if they are being put into the same instructed team then what is going to change?

So, i can see why people may want rid including the board as even SC has admitted its been poor this season and if he has when all said and done given him a top 12 budget then we see Stevenage Carlisle and Bury topping us with lesser resources then he rightly may be peed off.

HOWEVER

Whoever we get in will come under a lesser budget next season - if PD can't get us to 12th on a 12th best budget then even he may be thinking that he can't on a 16th best budget?

For me it comes down to the board - forget finance for the moment - purely as an organisation there is no strategy, no plan, no ideas

- If a product is :censored:e, a business will lose customers - ala Latics

- if a business doesn't even attempt to keep hold of its existing customers it won't survive for very long - ala Latics with no intermediate age ST or being so simple as to allow students to register their university student number (for proof of student status) every season and allow them to provide the necessary information online from their various locations; thereby forgoing the nonsensical £13 'come down twice to pick a form up and bring it back with a photo' - the above system would attract fans and even saying you can get £5 off a game ie £15 a game not £20 is at least a fair offer - more people in without a doubt.

- No communication - how about an annual AGM where all fans/fans can attend to ask questions and the board to give pointers as to what to expect?? Even if it was to hear Corney lay out a few hard cold facts about a poor budget for the next season at least its honesty and not bull:censored:ting fans about where we're at.

Quarterly blogs/columns in the local press/website from Corney focusing on how things are going; views on team and latest updates on club plans - it gives the board a focus and drive as well in having news to report and to reach certain internalstrategic targets.

Targets/aims - again forget finances for a second - where do the blokes in suits actually want to take this organisation that they help to operate. What is their challenge/personal target to achieve whilst in their time of running the club???

Ground redevelopment? right, ok - how about informing your loyal customers of any plans - i'm not talking promises, but plans and aims and an estimated realistic process in getting things going; again updates to inform whether ongoing or not etc - it keeps fans engaged and onside enough if they at least can see that people are striving to get to an end goal; or to push us as far as we can ala a new mainstand before needing to pass the club on as they cannot do the next bit themselves.

It is up to the 'leaders' of our club to alay this kind of mindset to the manager, be it PD or whoever - this is our aim, here is how things will be budget wise if/and until we reach point x.

Until the powers that be change their amateur mindset and 'business thinking' to one that resembles even a crumb of the term 'professional' in its approach then why SHOULD the fans/those that have lapsed bother to heed BO's pathetic annual war cry of 'please renew, we need you' - in return for what?? the same old feeble 'times are tough, we have limited finances'

EVERY club has the same scenario - hasn't stopped fecking carlisle or stevenage has it? Any business can make an effort to improve itself and to reach set targets - by doing this, it usually allows business to reach a point where they can fulfill longer term ambitions that they once had.

Get a damn good grip of yourselves, shred the negative, narrow-minded outlook of '20th in league one is our aim, safe for another year' and have a god damn :censored:ing purpose about yourselves, for the sake of all concerned.

Tesco would never have become the leading supermarket when they were the third biggest if they simply took the view of 'well, we're third and that's that'.

No manager will have a chance to build team if the captain of the ship they are on is happy to let the structure of the boat rot and the engine fail.

UNTIL we have positive minded people at the club who want to progess us bit by bit (as thats what we can realistically aim for) and have a purpose in their running of the club, no manager will ever build anything with us - because of the 'leaders' stagnant approach, we will forever have a fanbase with the psyche of 'great, new manager..started well, :censored:t...sacked...new manager...started well.....'

The fans only ever have a view when all said and done on what is on the pitch - if the product on the shelf is poor because of cheap materials, you ask why are those cheap materials being used - and our board have A LOT to answer for - their best brainwave is an offer for exisiting customers (fans) to go and watch ANOTHER CLUB for a £5er - like asking Man City fans to go and watch Utd for a fiver - WHAT PLANET are the board/'Commercial' Dept on???????!

I have a holiday in June - i may for once decide to take up SC's offer of any fan can come for a chat - he can bring the whole damn board with him as well!

Edited by shefflatic

Outstanding post Sheff, that post needs emailing to everyone at latics from SC downwards. If BO is reading this, can you make sure it its read by the powers that be, we should all be in this together but at the moment its a "us and them" situation and that's not gonna get us anywhere.

That's why I mentioned Pauly's lovely tan...

Well according to his misses twitter feed she was in Portugal- where they have at least a timeshare (but I'm fairly confident its not for this time of year, as I was at the same place a few years ago and they weren't there)

So our board of Corney, Hill, Joy, Owen and Mr Training ground are looking to get rid are they?

And replace him with who exactly?

They'll be plenty of people wanting the job. IF Dickov was to go, I hope Mr Training ground isn't involved in the process of appointing someone new, since he was all for keeping Penney and then wanting to appoint Gray.

If Dickov was to go, the club may go for the easiest option of Duxbury, or perhaps GT. Last time I think that Mark Crossley and Frankie Bunn was in the 'final 10'?

If what Corney said about the budget being 12 best in league one, then there will be plenty of managers with a decent record willing to take the job IF Dickov is to go.

They'll be plenty of people wanting the job. IF Dickov was to go, I hope Mr Training ground isn't involved in the process of appointing someone new, since he was all for keeping Penney and then wanting to appoint Gray.

If Dickov was to go, the club may go for the easiest option of Duxbury, or perhaps GT. Last time I think that Mark Crossley and Frankie Bunn was in the 'final 10'?

If what Corney said about the budget being 12 best in league one, then there will be plenty of managers with a decent record willing to take the job IF Dickov is to go.

Peter Reid!

Updated with today's announcement of more players released:

Who's under contract? (7 May)

Alex Cisak (2013)

Luke Simpson (second year of scholarship)

Glenn Belezika (2013 plus a further one year option)

Jean-Yves Mvoto (2013)

James Tarkowski (2013)

Carl Winchester (2013)

Dean Furman (2013)

Connor Hughes (2013)

David Mellor (2013)

Matt Smith (2013)

Shefki Kuqi has an option that he can trigger (but not the club) but no official word on it yet. Paul Dickov intends to offer contracts to Dean Bouzanis, Bradley Diallo, Kieran Lee, Youssouf Mchangama, Kirk Millar, Filipe Morais, Chris Taylor, James Wesolowski and Robbie Simpson.

Who's in?

Byron Walker (trialist striker/winger from Herne Bay)

Who's out?

Paul Black (released)

Mathew Carr (released)

Zander Diamond (released)

Keanu Marsh-Brown (released)

Phil McGrath (released)

Josh Parker (released)

Djeny Bembo-Leta (released)

Ryan Brooke (released)

Reuben Reid (released)
Edited by Crusoe