I wonder if in this day and age we, as lower division club supporters, should become more tolerant and accepting of other fans who wish to follow their local club but also maintain a clear allegiance to a more glamorous, top end Premiership club?

As an example my colleague is Italian, from the Amalfi coast. He is a passionate Juventus fan but comes across as being just as enthusiastic about his local third tier side and looks bewildered when I tell him that I have no affiliation or affection for any Premiership side and that, indeed quite the opposite is true. He looks even more puzzled if I tell him that Latics are my big team, glamorous affectation as I spend more time these days at local non-league games!

This sort or arrangement is I think much more common in Europe than it is here, possibly due to the much bigger gaps that have, historically, separated higher and lower divisions on the continent and maybe also due to the much larger distances between clubs in a lot of countries which reduces local rivalries. I can’t imagine that any region in Europe has a larger number of professional clubs than does the historic Lancashire area.

Now that the prospect of clubs like Latics ever challenging at the top table is more remote than it has ever been before I wonder if the feeling of utter anathema towards the idea of someone supporting, say, City and Latics might or should dissipate? Fiver off for a home game for anyone under ten wearing a City shirt?!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think we should look to appeal as a "second club" and an opportunity to watch real football, additional discounts isn't the way.

The £10 kids season ticket offer with appropriate advertising spin is exactly the way forwards.

Fiver off for a home game for anyone under ten wearing a City shirt

That would let them in for free. Let's not encourage such shirt wearing!

Edited by opinions4u

I wonder if in this day and age we, as lower division club supporters, should become more tolerant and accepting of other fans who wish to follow their local club but also maintain a clear allegiance to a more glamorous, top end Premiership club?

As an example my colleague is Italian, from the Amalfi coast. He is a passionate Juventus fan but comes across as being just as enthusiastic about his local third tier side and looks bewildered when I tell him that I have no affiliation or affection for any Premiership side and that, indeed quite the opposite is true. He looks even more puzzled if I tell him that Latics are my big team, glamorous affectation as I spend more time these days at local non-league games!

This sort or arrangement is I think much more common in Europe than it is here, possibly due to the much bigger gaps that have, historically, separated higher and lower divisions on the continent and maybe also due to the much larger distances between clubs in a lot of countries which reduces local rivalries. I can’t imagine that any region in Europe has a larger number of professional clubs than does the historic Lancashire area.

Now that the prospect of clubs like Latics ever challenging at the top table is more remote than it has ever been before I wonder if the feeling of utter anathema towards the idea of someone supporting, say, City and Latics might or should dissipate? Fiver off for a home game for anyone under ten wearing a City shirt?!

although he concept make sense and I have met a fair few utd or city fans who class Oldham as their second club I simply could not tolerate Them at Latics. Ones that I have met are far too patronising. Football elitists. Many of whom fail to realise that there is life outside the top four. I'm dreading the upcoming friendly as our ground will be crawling with vermin. Edited by welshgaz

Ok, I can go along with the concept of what you are saying. I'm sure a lot of football fans have a leaning towards a second team through family connections etc. (Noel G's joke about Latics fans being frustrated City fans spring to mind) but if you are capable of or indeed, do support two teams wear the Shirt of the club you are at or civvies. I for one don't want to see City and Utd shirts at every home game!

although he concept make sense and I have met a fair few utd or city fans who class Oldham as their second club I simply could not tolerate Them at Latics. Ones that I have met are far too patronising. Football elitists. Many of whom fail to realise that there is life outside the top four. I'm dreading the upcoming friendly as our ground will be crawling with vermin.

100% what my fellow welsh affiliate says. :laught30:

That would be the Amalfi coast which is 200 miles from Turin. It would be like supporting Arsenal but living in the area and going to watch us. As I understand it, Juve are the Man U of Italy, as they have lots of fans from outside Turin. Also I would guess his local Amalfi coast side have never played Juve in the league, unlike us. When I, like many others I would guess, started supporting Oldham we were on a par with a poor United side and a less good than currently City side. It did used to be popular for fans of one club to go watch someone else lower down regularly. Whilst it may have happened a bit with Oldham and City, as we played at home on alternate weekends, City's club was usually Stockport who moved their home games regularly to a Friday night as a result.

Edited by rudemedic

I do find it works the other way round.

The larger club supporters have some sort of soft spot for the lower league/non league side, and are bewildered why they are not welcomed with open arms. This would seem to fit your colelague with him being so far away from Juve.

I have a colleague who is an Evertonian, but has lived in London longer than Liverpool and is an Orient season ticket holder has been for years.

I have not really come across a lower league supporter that is also a big club supporter, bar a couple on here (and then they had "issues"!!). Much rarer.

I would hate to see loads of City tops at Oldham, the kids won't udnerstand and I 'd report them for child abuse! Its playing with their heads and not teaching them the valuable less of being a football fan!

If you could convert them though, great, and I suspect the cheap kids ticket has got a few.

We need to do it for a few seasons, and take right up to past school age, so many lapse between 15-20.

Edited by singe

I don't have a problem with fans coming watching latics as their ' second club ' After all, it all adds to our coffers.

As for the other way round, i'm afraid i'm old school, there's only one club for me and always will be. I have no desire to go and watch anyone else.

Football is boring. The same top clubs due to Europe, endless hype about :censored: games that rarely live up go their billing and a remorseless grind of wank teams playing the best footballing sides by hoofing them. Cheating is endemic, governing bodies full of self-aggrandizing thieves and a divorce between the football world and fans / reality.

I really don't enjoy going to the majority of Latics games because they are just frustrating and disappointing for 90% of the time.

I certainly don't really care about England...

The only reason I go anymore is because I have a chip on my shoulder about being a bloody-minded Latics fan, and as much as it is a pain in the arse I cannot not care. If they went bust though, I'd not watch football anymore except as a blocking tactic to :censored:e soaps.

Edited by De_La_Vega

My mate is the definition of 'Terry' - supporting Crewe and Liverpool in equal measure, without apology.

Of course, I’ve berated him for it for the 12 years that I’ve known him but in all honesty I’m quite jealous. What a nice position to be in – the best of both worlds.

I could NEVER do it myself though, no chance, soul destroying to even think of supporting city or united on the side.

Ok, I can go along with the concept of what you are saying. I'm sure a lot of football fans have a leaning towards a second team through family connections etc. (Noel G's joke about Latics fans being frustrated City fans spring to mind) but if you are capable of or indeed, do support two teams wear the Shirt of the club you are at or civvies. I for one don't want to see City and Utd shirts at every home game!

I think loads of people will watch Latics along with another team, I think those of us who love the game will occasionally watch another team but what we must remember is that if someone is coming to Boundary Park for a league game they're coming to watch Oldham Athletic not the Manchester City B team. It's good to have a healthy relationship with these clubs but we shouldn't risk losing our identity

The more time that passes without playing Man U and Man C competitively, the greater the chance relations between OAFC and the Manchester clubs will become more tolerant.

I think it depends where you have been brought up.

At uni my mate was a Hull City fan but when he was a kid he also supported Sheffield Wednesday (when they were one of the top clubs). When I asked why, he said it is normal for people in Hull to support another club, because a) Hull were usually routed to the bottom division and people also liked to watch good football and b its the only team around, so everyone in Hull "supports" Hull anyway making it extra boring for lads (and lasses!) at school in the pub when debating football, if you all follow the same team.

I think for older people there is less issue with supporting different teams as well. My dad is in his 60's and just enjoys watching football, he has been an Oldham season ticket holder for years, but he is a Carlisle fan but his original club was Workington before they went out of business, so he didnt have a choice he had to support a new team. Living in the lakes they also went over to watch Newcastle and occaisionally up to Scotland too!

I think it is quite a modern thing to be proud to support or only go and see one club. I know City fans in Manchester who go and watch teams all over the place when they can't get to City.

My second team is Chester - I haven't seen them for a long time, as I am never out that way any more, but if I get the chance will always go see them play and cheer them on.

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

I cant really understand how someone can support more than one club. Football is such an emotive game, the range of emotions you go through when watch YOUR team is embedded in the fact that team is your one and only..us against the rest. I couldnt wake up on a Saturday morning and split my attention, enthusiasm and anticipation between two football games for two teams, or look in my wardrobe and alternate between footie shirts, Id feel I was doing a disservice to my 'other' team. What about if your premier team met your lower league team in a cup game who would you want to win. Its just odd.

Age is a factor I think. My Dad was born and bred Latics but he was happy to go to many other games (and I did with him) especially at Huddersfield and Rochdale if Latics were not at home. Of course they were the days before segregation which has been a massive but probably inevitable factor in the decivilising of football.

It's quite sad I think that so many fans today are unable to appreciate good play when it's not their team producing it - when was the last time you clapped an outstanding bit of skill from an opposition player? - and that spills over into the "hate" (terrible word to relate to a game) that some seem to feel for other clubs and their supporters.

That point about who would you support in a cup tie if your clubs were drawn together is an interesting one. My local side (Bishop's Stortford) would have played Latics in the first round of the FA Cup if they'd won one more game a few years back. Much though I'd have recoiled in horror at seeing Latics lose to a non-league side it would have been interesting to be at a game whch would have ranked highly in BS' history.

I suppose I do have two clubs.... Latics obviously and whoever UTD play at the time, irrelevant of who it is .... my second club is ABU ...... Anyone but utd. Im afraid I make no apologies either. :p

Edited by andy_b_100

Age is a factor I think. My Dad was born and bred Latics but he was happy to go to many other games (and I did with him) especially at Huddersfield and Rochdale if Latics were not at home. Of course they were the days before segregation which has been a massive but probably inevitable factor in the decivilising of football.

It's quite sad I think that so many fans today are unable to appreciate good play when it's not their team producing it - when was the last time you clapped an outstanding bit of skill from an opposition player? - and that spills over into the "hate" (terrible word to relate to a game) that some seem to feel for other clubs and their supporters.

That point about who would you support in a cup tie if your clubs were drawn together is an interesting one. My local side (Bishop's Stortford) would have played Latics in the first round of the FA Cup if they'd won one more game a few years back. Much though I'd have recoiled in horror at seeing Latics lose to a non-league side it would have been interesting to be at a game whch would have ranked highly in BS' history.

Pre Sky Sports, televised football was very limited and wasn't enough to satisfy a lot of football fans appetite for the game, especially on away weeks if unable to travel. So lots of fans watched (not necessarily supported) a second club.

I think clapping good play from an opposition footballer is a different debate from supporting more than one team. I often make comments about good play from the opposition if it impresses me. Thats being a football fan and enjoying the sport in general regardless of affiliation.

Age is probably a factor though yeah, supporting a particular club is almost like a fashion for the younger 'fans', years back kids wore arsenal and liverpool shirts, these days its chelsea and city. whoever is the best you have to get the shirt, cant seen to be supporting some naff 3rd rate team can you? Sad but thats how it is.

I think hate sometimes gets confused with jealousy when it comes to the bigger clubs. I find it hard to feel anything about premier teams, they are a million miles in football terms from us. They arent the teams Im travelling all over to see, they arent the players Im spending my money on. I watch MOTD and see some good football and thats about as far as it goes.

I regularly clap goals against Latics, had a lot of practice at it! If the opposition do something good then I give them credit for it, takes 2 teams to make a game. If we drop a bollock and let in a goal that's one thing but if they carve us open with good play then stick it in sometimes you have to appreciate what you have just seen.

I regularly clap goals against Latics, had a lot of practice at it! If the opposition do something good then I give them credit for it, takes 2 teams to make a game. If we drop a bollock and let in a goal that's one thing but if they carve us open with good play then stick it in sometimes you have to appreciate what you have just seen.

Interview with Ronaldinho (of the Brazilian variety) in FourFourTwo magazine recalls a game when he received a standing ovation from the home fans at the Bernabeu when playing for Barcelona - now that is classy. :exile:

Edited by TheBigDog

Interview with Ronaldinho (of the Brazilian variety) in FourFourTwo magazine recalls a game when he received a standing ovation from the home fans at the Bernabeu when playing for Barcelona - now that is classy. :exile:

it was as much a pop at their own team as it was in appreciation of Ronaldhino

This /\.

At the end of the day, I do like to be entertained. Ideally, that would always be Latics doing that; but if the opposition score a belter or the like - then I usually clap. I'm gutted, but I still clap. Good football is good football.

I remember walking out of BP not last season, the season before after being pummelled by Southampton. It was a strange feeling - I was gutted we'd be taken apart and basically humiliated, but at the same time, I had to take my hat off to the Saints as they were outstanding that night. Gutted as a Latics fan, but entertained & impressed as a Football fan.

As for 2 teams - all are welcome as far as I can see. Money through the gates, and as long as they behave themselves, I see no issue really in City/ United or whoever fans coming along to BP to catch a game.