Cliff Byrne

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarky will make way, lots of potential but needs to learn not to dive in, follows the ball too much instead of his man and switches off on crosses. I do like the fact he's increasingly a threat in the oppo's box. BUT he's a kid and will be learning every day. He will learn even more from the likes of Byrne. If this is true, he's just what we need - an old war horse not afraid to get stuck in ala Gregan, Garnett or going further back Andy Holden.

We may even be looking at a new captain here as well.

Only worry for me is he has had two seasons interrupted by injury - 38 appearances all competitions during the last two years. I hope he doesn't prove to be another Diamond, but having said that given our meagre budget we have to take these type of gambles. Tbh I couldn't see Kuqi playing week in week out and rightly or wrongly he did.

On another note it's nice to sign a player with a real footballer's name stick yer Connor's and yer Reece's..Cliff is a hairy arsed man's name!

Only worry for me is he has had two seasons interrupted by injury - 38 appearances all competitions during the last two years. I hope he doesn't prove to be another Diamond, but having said that given our meagre budget we have to take these type of gambles. Tbh I couldn't see Kuqi playing week in week out and rightly or wrongly he did.

On another note it's nice to sign a player with a real footballer's name stick yer Connor's and yer Reece's..Cliff is a hairy arsed man's name!

I know what you're getting at there, but all told, was Diamond that bad injury wise? We were led to believ he was missing through injury,; but then it appeared it was in fact to stop a trigger in the contract......I dont think he was too injury prone - for a throw your body against anyhting type CB?

Anyway - OT - I think this looks a very sensible signing on the face of it. An experienced player who can play either CB or RB, a former club captain so an obvious leader and, from the times I've seen him play, a right tough cookie who will get in where it hurts (the challenge on Taylor at Glanford Park on the Tues night match a few years ago as a case in point)

If true - I think Tarky will be the obvious one to drop out - he's still a kid learning the game. Granted he's getting better with every game; but he's still raw. M'Voto has more experience. Tarky is a very decent 1st replacement to have in case of injury & suspension.

We were getting a bit of stick on the scunthorpe forum a few weeks back when this rumour first broke.

They reckon he's past it, his legs have gone, and he's not good enough to be their defensive back-up cover!

"destined for the confrenece" was one of the quotes... Oh, and he likes a drink or three "allegedly"

Add that to the fact that even the football genius that is Graham Westley said no thanks, i wouldnt be dropping tarky straight away!

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Good signing IMO.

He appears to have played every minute of every game for Scunthorpe's last 11 games of the season and if you look at the stats they didn't leak too many:-

Edited by Stevie_J
Messy code deleted

all we need now is a Derek & a Bob and we'll piss this league.

Edited by HarryBosch