Matty Smith

Gotta feel for this lad spends game after game warming up and does not get even a cameo appearance most times Really think he should be given some game time and then if not good enough then at least he s had a chance he never seems to moan and happily smiles along but inside must be spewing seeing the likes of Taylor come on before him who for one hardly warmed up last night and two was absymal when on and looked way off the pace for me... Only my opinion :shakeit:

It's not often that I'll say this about a footballer, but I feel sorry for Smith. In his first season he was behind the undroppable Kuqi in the pecking order, and now has a half-arsed loanee barging his way in front of him. Now obviously I don't know how hard Smith works on the training pitch, but I'd assume if he wasn't putting in the effort there, he'd not get in the match day squad.

The thing is, we utilize him completely wrong. We shove him on with five minutes to go, and start lumping the ball up to him and expecting him to deal with it, usually he's up against a centre back just as big as he is (or near), who's been heading the ball away for 80ish minutes already and is adjusted to the game. We shove Smith on and expect him to impress. That simply will not happen with 10 mins here, 5 mins there. It takes a fair few minutes to adjust to the tempo of the game, especially as a striker, but sadly too many of our fans expect him to be on, and impacting, straight away. Those types of strikers, with the nouse to do that, are in leagues far higher than us, and are few and far between.

Instead of using him as a target man to lump the ball too when we're all out of ideas, why don't we get the ball out wide and cross it? Smith is not your 'flick on target man', he's someone who should be stood in the box tapping them in or heading them in. Anyone who has any sense can see he's been in the right places, he missed a sitter against Exeter was it last year? And he's come close to tapping some crosses in (on the rare occasions that actually occurs) and been an inch or two away from the killer touch. People forget that on the one occasion Dickov had the balls to bench Kuqi, Smith scored with a header, from a cross (IIRC), and was then immediately benched so Kuqi could take back his starting berth (now some may argue about this clause involving Kuqi being guaranteed to start every game... Now if that's true, Dickov needs his head testing. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Dickov and believe it or not, I do back him, but any club/manager who writes into a players contract that he is GUARANTEED to start every game, is insane.)

Also, I think a lot has to be said about other players regarding some of Smith's ineffective sub performances. When he does win the ball in the air, no one is around him to get onto the ball! There is usually absolutely no movement around him. People also slag him off for not being mobile enough, but think about it, how many lower to mid League 1 sides have a 6'6" striker who is actually mobile as well as massive? None, all those players are playing in higher divisions.

Fair enough, if he gets a run of games, and performs badly, then yes, move on and let him go at the end of the season, but unfortunately he'll probably be given 5 mins here and there, and be written off as ':censored:' again and again, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did bag a fair few for a club who's staff and players know how to properly utilize him.

I agree with many of the posts above and I really do feel sorry for him. Dickov obviously has other plans (not sure what they are tbh) but I'd love to see him get a few games but that might just result in us hoofing it to him but yea' i do feel pretty sorry for the lad.

I actually thought last night about saying give smith a go but thought would get slatted, we could do a lot worse

One thing about smith is that he gets in the right postions or he wouldnt miss chances, we have a perfect player in croft to deliver balls into the box then play the averages, so if he dont win it should we get bodies in the box we may score, if you dont give the opostion something to think and deal with then of course they are going have an easy 90mins

It's not often that I'll say this about a footballer, but I feel sorry for Smith. In his first season he was behind the undroppable Kuqi in the pecking order, and now has a half-arsed loanee barging his way in front of him. Now obviously I don't know how hard Smith works on the training pitch, but I'd assume if he wasn't putting in the effort there, he'd not get in the match day squad.

The thing is, we utilize him completely wrong. We shove him on with five minutes to go, and start lumping the ball up to him and expecting him to deal with it, usually he's up against a centre back just as big as he is (or near), who's been heading the ball away for 80ish minutes already and is adjusted to the game. We shove Smith on and expect him to impress. That simply will not happen with 10 mins here, 5 mins there. It takes a fair few minutes to adjust to the tempo of the game, especially as a striker, but sadly too many of our fans expect him to be on, and impacting, straight away. Those types of strikers, with the nouse to do that, are in leagues far higher than us, and are few and far between.

Instead of using him as a target man to lump the ball too when we're all out of ideas, why don't we get the ball out wide and cross it? Smith is not your 'flick on target man', he's someone who should be stood in the box tapping them in or heading them in. Anyone who has any sense can see he's been in the right places, he missed a sitter against Exeter was it last year? And he's come close to tapping some crosses in (on the rare occasions that actually occurs) and been an inch or two away from the killer touch. People forget that on the one occasion Dickov had the balls to bench Kuqi, Smith scored with a header, from a cross (IIRC), and was then immediately benched so Kuqi could take back his starting berth (now some may argue about this clause involving Kuqi being guaranteed to start every game... Now if that's true, Dickov needs his head testing. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Dickov and believe it or not, I do back him, but any club/manager who writes into a players contract that he is GUARANTEED to start every game, is insane.)

Also, I think a lot has to be said about other players regarding some of Smith's ineffective sub performances. When he does win the ball in the air, no one is around him to get onto the ball! There is usually absolutely no movement around him. People also slag him off for not being mobile enough, but think about it, how many lower to mid League 1 sides have a 6'6" striker who is actually mobile as well as massive? None, all those players are playing in higher divisions.

Fair enough, if he gets a run of games, and performs badly, then yes, move on and let him go at the end of the season, but unfortunately he'll probably be given 5 mins here and there, and be written off as ':censored:' again and again, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did bag a fair few for a club who's staff and players know how to properly utilize him.

may not quite be 6 foot 6 but Chris Porter, Michael Symes, Charlie Sheringham, Lucas Akins, James Collins, Clayton Donaldson, Lee Miller are all League 1 strikers who are good in the air and a lot more mobile on the pitch than Matt Smith

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I just can't see what others can in Smith at all, I think he looks garbage. We took a punt on him because of his size and he was scoring goals but he just seems off the pace, would be happy to be proved wrong but just cant see it.

Slew on the other hand looks much more lively and dangerous and has already bagged one against Championship opposition. Give me a half arsed loan player over Smith any day of the week.

I think the fact that Smith/Taylor are the 2nd choice strikers indicate why we will be looking over our shoulder this season. Desperately need more experience up front and a CB too if possible!

I can't agree with the sentiments in here at all. He's sluggish, poor on the ball, and not especially good in the air for a big man (that awful header against Wednesday being a prime example). I'm struggling to think of any positive attributes he could bring to the team. We may be blunt up front at the moment, but we'd be even blunter with him up there.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

This situation has a sense of deja vu to Smith's treatment at Droylsden. Yes, I know its a much higher level but the same thing happened there. He wasn't given any opportunity to play regularly in the side and had the 10 minutes here and 5 minutes there as he's recieveing here by Dickov and eventually he was let go. Solihull acquired him and gave him some proper time on the pitch and he started getting goals, lots of them and when the Solihull came to Droylsden, who were doing well at the time, he was unstoppable and scored 2 terrific goals with brilliant finishes (with his feet) that would be admired in every league, helping Solihull to a 5-0 away win. I wouldn't want to let him go at the end of this season without the feeling that he was given a proper chance to prove himself.

I just can't see what others can in Smith at all, I think he looks garbage. We took a punt on him because of his size and he was scoring goals but he just seems off the pace, would be happy to be proved wrong but just cant see it.

Slew on the other hand looks much more lively and dangerous and has already bagged one against Championship opposition. Give me a half arsed loan player over Smith any day of the week.

I think the fact that Smith/Taylor are the 2nd choice strikers indicate why we will be looking over our shoulder this season. Desperately need more experience up front and a CB too if possible!

Regarding Slew......against Sheff. W., he was up for it because of his links to the Blades. I was very disappointed with him against MK but didn't see him against Walsall but reports I've heard or read indicate he was just as bad.

Now to Smith...didn't he score on his last league start? And what are his stats. regarding a run of starts? Some on here will be able to confirm or put me straight.

From what I saw against MK, there were plenty of balls lumped up that Simpson failed to control so maybe it's time for Smith to have that forward role, especially if we can get Hughes on the left and Croft on the right to fire crosses in.

Regarding Slew......against Sheff. W., he was up for it because of his links to the Blades. I was very disappointed with him against MK but didn't see him against Walsall but reports I've heard or read indicate he was just as bad.

Now to Smith...didn't he score on his last league start? And what are his stats. regarding a run of starts? Some on here will be able to confirm or put me straight.

From what I saw against MK, there were plenty of balls lumped up that Simpson failed to control so maybe it's time for Smith to have that forward role, especially if we can get Hughes on the left and Croft on the right to fire crosses in.

Then all teams would have to do is double up on the wingers, force the wingers onto their weaker foot to stop us playing. In my opinion you need to mix and match to be effective in the final third, I think with Smith you can only play the long ball game which I dont like personally because you see less of the ball.

Then all teams would have to do is double up on the wingers, force the wingers onto their weaker foot to stop us playing. In my opinion you need to mix and match to be effective in the final third, I think with Smith you can only play the long ball game which I dont like personally because you see less of the ball.

I appreciate that, but wouldn't a player in the mould of M'Changama come into his own if the wingers are kept in check with doubling up?

It's just at the moment, we are going into games with 2 wingers but no obvious target man.......Simpson is not that target.

I think the reports about Slew being bad are just a typical overreaction aimed at a Striker when the rest of the team is :censored:e, He got a couple of good shots off and on the whole used the ball well when he got it into feet which was rare.

Unsurprisingly he didnt do much when the ball was randomly launched in the air in his general direction.

At the end of the day it is clear he has more talent than Smith and it is up to Dickov as manager to get it out of him. I am fed up with the amount of players deemed :censored: at Oldham that have gone on to play at a higher level, I really want us to get the best out of someone!

He's started 3 games for Oldham Athletic, the rest of his appearances have been as an after-thought from the bench. He's never been given a run, yes he can be a mard-arse but let's give him a run in the team - he causes teams problems.

This the same Matt Smith everyone was caling 50p head not so long ago?

:unsure:

That's how desperate we are to try something different!

In all seriousness, we should give him a go. Him holding up the ball for Slew to run on to, with Simpson playing just behind (despite his goal last night, I'd drop M'Changama, I'm afraid) the front two. Could work...

Newblue made a point earlier that Smith is a confidence player, so there is an argument here that we are expecting a lot from someone who only comes on for 5 or 10 mins. and chasing a point.

Now, to throw a spanner in the works here.......BUT has Simpson earned his place after the first 3 games? We know from last season what he is capable of but against Sheff. W. and MK.......I'm leaning towards no. I've not heard a great deal about him against Walsall apart from carrying on from MK with a constant rant towards the ref.

The thing that I noticed last night was that we didn't make the ball stick upfront

We have a player in Slew who likes to work the channels and run onto through balls but can't play with his back to goal. We have a player in Simpson who again is at his best when playing in the hole and being aloud to wander abit. For those 2 to work you need to get the ball down and play it through midfield which proved problematic as walsall had 5 across the middle. So we needed the option of hitting the ball from back to front and we currently don't have that. With Kuqi last season and Tounkara the season before we did, and if we are going to get the best out of the likes of Simpson, Montana, and Croft this season we need to have that option.

People have talked all summer about needing a poacher upfront I don't think we do in the system we play we are better off with a target man who can play with his back to goal and can bring others into play, Matty Smith isn't the answer I'm afraid He can win the ball in the air due to his height but I can't see him bringing it down and bringing others into play and his lack of mobility is also a problem. I think their are better target men out there who are available and we should be searching for them.