Dickov In or Out

Sack or Keep  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Keep

Brentford looked like a mid-table side.

We looked a relegation candidate.

In 27 seasons I've only known us fail to win at least one our opening four HOME league games on two other occasions both ended in relegation. In 93/94 we didn't win at home until 27th November & in 96/97 it was 5th October, this team on paper is decent but is not too good to go down. We need momentum and quick...

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He appears to have a 90%+ popularity rating today!

Either your theory about vote changing is correct or something more sinister is afoot!

Happy Clappers have got their tamborines out and given us a rendition of X-Factor Style "Change your mind, Change your Mind…."

Or perhaps this guy invited us to look into his eyes…..

27833_little_britain_kenny_craig.jpg

Edited by oafcprozac

In 27 seasons I've only known us fail to win our opening four league games on two other occasions both ended in relegation. In 93/94 we didn't win at home until 27th November & in 96/97 it was 5th October, this team on paper is decent but is not too good to go down. We need momentum and quick...

First 4 league games:

MK (a)

Walsall (h)

Stevenage (h)

Pompey (a)

Or did you mean to add a home before the league?

The seasons you mentioned probably started later than this one too so it would be interesting how many games were involved.

Edited by rudemedic

93/94 by now played 8 league games 5 at home D3 L2 (season started on 14/8/93

96/97 by now had played 8 league games 4 at home D1 L3 (season started on 17/8/96

-

As far as I can work out both of those seasons the first home win didn't come until at least the 6th game. We haven't quite gotten to that stage yet but IF we don't win on Saturday, the statistical precedent says we are in trouble.

Forget Magilton. He did nothing for Melbourne Victory, other than drag them down a little bit lower. "Left" before his time was up.

If it is a choice between PD and Magilton, give me PD everytime. Not that I am happy with PD, but Magilton will be a backward step.

Steve Kean might joining the dole queue imminently according to the BBC. WTF is that all about? Blackburn don't sack him when they get relegated from the Premier League, they let him carry on. So he has them flying and in the Championship automatic promotion places and now they're going to sack him.

Absolute shambles of a club. They make us look professional and well run in comparison.

They said on 5 Live that Venkys gave him a points target that he has failed to meet. I don't care either way but to me it does seem a bit harsh.

Likewise, and I certainly wasn't suggesting i'd want him here. Looks to me like they've set his "points target" unrealistically high then if 3rd place (joint 2nd taking goal difference out of the equation) isn't a good enough start.

Form guide:

Played 18

Won 2

Drawn 6

Lost 10

Points per game 0.67 (I've assumed cup games to be awarded points)

11% win rate

That equates to 31 points a season.

Extend it to 35 games and I think it's averaging 38 points a season. Stretch it back to 46 games and the run that included wins over Burton and Southend and I might be able to find an average that gets us to 50 points.

Leaving things as they are doesn't seem to be a logical option unless you want to ensure we get relegated.

Edited by opinions4u

Form guide:

Played 18

Won 2

Drawn 6

Lost 10

Points per game 0.67 (I've assumed cup games to be awarded points)

11% win rate

That equates to 31 points a season.

Extend it to 35 games and I think it's averaging 38 points a season. Stretch it back to 46 games and the run that included wins over Burton and Southend and I might be able to find an average that gets us to 50 points.

Leaving things as they are doesn't seem to be a logical option unless you want to ensure we get relegated.

You don't move forwards by looking backwards.

You don't move forwards by looking backwards.

Ok, take me back 18 games.

We've just had a pretty poor 17 games. 5 wins, 3 draws, 9 defeats.

What would your definition of acceptable have been for the following 18 games? Would 2 wins, 6 draws, 10 defeats be there?

We've gone from a poor extended run and followed it up with an even poorer extended run. I did a 400 mile round trip on Saturday in the hope that something had changed. It hadn't. We were still :censored:. We still lost. There are three possible outcomes of a football match yet we still lose more than 50% of our games.

Dickov's record is worse than Dave Penney's. More recently it's significantly worse. It's not acceptable.

Do you really believe he can turn it round? He didn't when it went wrong in Feb 2011. He didn't when it went wrong in Jan 2012. He didn't 18 games ago. He didn't at the start of the season. He didn't at Brentford.

Nice chap. He's not got it as a team manager.

Edited by opinions4u

One thing that does always get me is that as fans who want him out other fans who want to keep him simply come back with 'who is better than him'

To be honest I am not here to find solutions that is Corney job and to be honest even if I have a solution it ain't going to be listened to.

What I can see as O4U points to is fans becoming increasingly more frustrated and crowds yet again dipping. Its horrible thinking that games like Brentford away before the game I think to myself I would take only just losing here and hope we don't get spanked.

That is simply not good enough against teams at the same level as us!

No one is right or wrong wether want him sacked or not the game is about opinions and its nice to see other people's views actually as makes me think a lot.

If we sack Dickov and aproach a manager in a job and we are quoted too much compo fair enough but I dont buy into the fact it has to be someone out of work.

As said this morning someone cash strapped like Port Vale someone like Mickey Adams if approached might simply say sod this working at a team where dont quote me i think in administation? when I can go back up a level.

The closer I'm getting to Saturday the less confident I am I thought we would beat Walsall & Scunny at home and failed we have the players which is the most frustating part and I take my hat of for that but the more diffucult part is getting the best out of those players

A question I will ask is if we get beat say 2-0 or 3-0 by Coventry would people say give him 15 games still as honestly what would be the point when he has failed to deliver so far and we have had a lot of winnable games!

One thing that does always get me is that as fans who want him out other fans who want to keep him simply come back with 'who is better than him'

It's a fair point though. If we were to sack Dickov now, we'd inevitably end up rushing another mediocre manager in, and we'll just keep going in circles. I think people want patience in PD for one in the now increasingly faint hope he'll turn things around, but also so Corney at least has some considerable time to weigh up some potential replacements. I've now seen Paul Trollope, Robbie Fowler and Jim Magilton mentioned in various threads, can you honestly say you'd be confident a manager of that ilk could come into the club and turn things around? It'd be a sideways step.