David Mellor, Kirk Millar on loan to Chorley

Can't say I am massively surprised by this. A concerted effort to reduce the wage bill to retain the players we have in on loan whilst giving two youngsters game time. I would like to see more of Mellor around the first team but he hasn't got a shout at the moment.

Source: http://evostikleague.pitchero.com/latics-loan-duo-lift-chorley-11121/?

Can't say I am massively surprised by this. A concerted effort to reduce the wage bill to retain the players we have in on loan whilst giving two youngsters game time. I would like to see more of Mellor around the first team but he hasn't got a shout at the moment.

Source: http://evostikleague...chorley-11121/?

Both should do well that low down - especially Mellor. Thought Mellor would go to a league two/ top half conference team.

I highly doubt Chorley are paying anything towards the wages.

Blimey, I bet that rumoured bid from Fulham seems a long time ago for him...

Hope they get some good match experience but can't help but be surprised that they've both dropped that low down, especially Mellor!

It's probably a case of who moved in for them, another may be on his way to a Blue Square North club. I haven't been told who he is though

Edited by BP1960

Hope they get some good match experience but can't help but be surprised that they've both dropped that low down, especially Mellor!

At least it shows hes keen to play 1st team football

even at any level, ts further experience which is more than a lot of young lads who refuse to drop x number of leagues....

I live near Chorley and have watched them in the past so this might give me a little incentive to get back to Victory Park when Latics are away.

I'd consider this a bit of a coup for Chorley although last time I saw them Matt Jansen was playing (he might still be) so they can pull in the big names! I'm surprised they've dropped that low but imagine Gary Flitcroft is mates with PD and has twisted his arm.

It perhaps speaks volumes about their prospects here that young Sutherland is being named on the bench ahead of them.

Edited by bossrocks

I live near Chorley and have watched them in the past so this might give me a little incentive to get back to Victory Park when Latics are away.

I'd consider this a bit of a coup for Chorley although last time I saw them Matt Jansen was playing (he might still be) so they can pull in the big names! I'm surprised they've dropped that low but imagine Gary Flitcroft is mates with PD and has twisted his arm.

It perhaps speaks volumes about their prospects here that young Sutherland is being named on the bench ahead of them.

Perhaps Sutherland gets a lot more benefit at his stage of development sitting on the bench than Mellor and Millar do. Mellor and Millar need games regularly, they are further along in their development, at the moment they aren't going to get that here.

Hard to see what the lads or we will gain from allowing them to drop so low down below the level we're at.

That is of course assuming the management have any pretensions of them playing a role in our senior team - would very much hope that's so in the case of Mellor, not so much Millar.

This looks like good business. Millar because I can't believe he has a future in the Football League and Mellor to see if he wants to play in the Football League. The rumour on here was that Mellor doesn't put enough effort into training so PD won't like that - looks like a bit of a disciplinary /motivational move.

Hard to see what the lads or we will gain from allowing them to drop so low down below the level we're at.

Match fitness in competitive games. Physical conditioning, maybe.

Better that they turn out regularly for clubs at a lower level than rust in the reserves or sit on the bench of "bigger" clubs on loan.

I also wonder whether their non-appearance for us and the lack of "bigger" clubs coming in for them on loan indicates that actually their development has stalled and perhaps we should revise our expectations of how good they are. I could be wrong, of course.

This looks like good business. Millar because I can't believe he has a future in the Football League and Mellor to see if he wants to play in the Football League. The rumour on here was that Mellor doesn't put enough effort into training so PD won't like that - looks like a bit of a disciplinary /motivational move.

Really! Probably more to do with the fact that over the next month Latics have 2 reserve games including today whilst Chroley have 7 games.

That is of course assuming the management have any pretensions of them playing a role in our senior team - would very much hope that's so in the case of Mellor, not so much Millar.

It could help with confidence, having more to their game than a lot of the players they are up against. It could get you down struggling to make the breakthrough.

Regarding the wages of the players; Chorley have a decent fanbase for that league and will be able to afford some of the wages. I remember when they signed a Droylsden player having been able to pay him higher wages despite them being in a lower league. I wouldn't be surprised if they paid £200 towards them, or a percentage of whatever they're paid.

Back to the issue of the players actually going there. I think its a bad choice to send Mellor there because he is better than that league, I've been critical of him in the past but he is still better than non-league. I don't see how that develops him as a player, there would be League 2 teams or even higher Conference signs vying for him. He would surely get gametime and a higher percentage of his wages paided by the L2 and Conference teams too. He'd face better opposition as well.

I don't see much chance of keeping him at the end of the season if we treat him like this. I'm sure teams would take a punt at a talent like him, tipped to be a Premier League player only a few seasons ago. And I doubt he will have taken this loan very well, based on his supposed ability.

i dont think many people are aware that mellors mum was seriously ill ( leukemia ? ) last season and its not suprising a lad so young was distracted and lost form . i sincerely hope she has made a good recovery and the whole family can put it behind them . i think playing football is not very important at times like these . having said that i hope the lad can get back to pushing for a place and fullfilling his obvious potential . lets all cut him some slack and be happy our mother is not ill .