No More

I was stunned that we didn't use Smith more when Derbyshire was here.

It looks to me like we put a player in there because they're better than another, not because they suit the team.

Sometimes, as Ferige has proved at United many-a-time, the better quality player isn't always the one to have in your team.

There is an alternative but it means dropping one of Wes or Furman with Jose dropping back and Smith and Taylor starting. Not an option for PD so likely to see the same team starting on Wednesday. Not worth mentioning 3 5 2 or 3 4 3 because we only do that when behind and M'Voto is pushed up front.

As I've said elsewhere it is the next three games that matter - we need six points from nine which realistically means beating Crewe and Scunthorpe.

The question for Corney is how many times will he allow the occasional moments of inspiring football stop him from firing off a manager who's teams have served up excessive :censored:e on far too many occasions?

He probably won't act this side of Christmas. Draw and win the home games that follow and another flicker of hope extends the ongoing pain. Can't sack a manager after a mini unbeaten run.

It is time to start again. Thanks Paul, but you can't get a team to gel and / or fight at this level.

I don't really care about heavy defeats in the West Country. These things happen. I want a manager who makes me turn up at Boundary Park expecting my team to win - and delivers on that more often than not. Dickov has failed in this key task.

Edited by opinions4u

As Corney's said before in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, we can't really afford to sack him.

I wonder if we've shot ourselves in the foot a bit with this "rolling" contract. Surely with a fixed-term contract, we could just choose not to renew it and not have to pay anything, whereas with this rolling one, we're always going to have to pay a year's salary.

It might get a lot worse before Corney reacts - I would imagine Dickov will be given a bit more time, if only to save another expense. I hope Dickov sorts it out, but the signs arn't good.

PD says that his remit for the season is to keep us up. If I was providing a budget which is around 11th in the league, I would be demanding we should be in the top half all season.

I hate this approach and it might be part of the problem.

Regardless of budget, facilities, crowds, etc surely as a sportsman you should want to win every game and aim to win the league. Demanding mediocrity surely opens the door for the players to think that occasional poor performance is acceptable, which might explain why we've blown hot and cold this season.

You can't hold a manager accountable for one centre half lunging into an embarrassing tackle in his own area to give away a spot kick, the other centre half underhitting a back pass, the keeper coming flying out and missing the ball, a wonder goal and the fact that one of his more experienced players decide to make a stupid lunge to get himself walked as we were chasing the game.

PD says that his remit for the season is to keep us up.......

I don't think that for one minute, he will have been told to try and entertain the fans by winning the majority of home games, get the team as high as possible in the league, but also, that we cannot afford to be around the relegation positions come May.

Dickov has finally realised that this hand picked team of his is not nearly good enough to make their mark on this :censored:e division and probably made that statement to cover for their/his performances to date .Even if it was his remit ( privately ) there is no way Corney would have waned it airing in the media.

Unless we are battered on Boxing day I think Dickov will survive until the New Year, but this is definitely the last chance saloon. If our poor form continues into January, Corney will surely have to act, however, I hope that Dickov would be man enough to resign and save the club having to pay up his contract.

I don't know who there is out there to stop the rot but I am sure that if we continue with Dickov we will eventually be relegated. He has said from day one that he is trying to build something, and that all these players he has attracted to the club are buying in to it. If this was the case surely we should be seeing some improvement and consistency out on the pitch.

We are no nearer to that goal two and a half seasons later, in fact, if anything, I would go as far as to say we have probably gone backwards during his time at the club.

For this reason and this reason alone Dickov has to go!

You can't hold a manager accountable for one centre half lunging into an embarrassing tackle in his own area to give away a spot kick, the other centre half underhitting a back pass, the keeper coming flying out and missing the ball, a wonder goal and the fact that one of his more experienced players decide to make a stupid lunge to get himself walked as we were chasing the game.

You can when these said players (Simpson excluded) will all be on the teamsheet come Boxing Day!!

We are no nearer to that goal two and a half seasons later, in fact, if anything, I would go as far as to say we have probably gone backwards during his time at the club.

For this reason and this reason alone Dickov has to go!

This might be semantics but I don't think we've gone backwards, I just think we are treading water.

The big worry is that it seems to be getting less and less likely that we'll improve under Dickov.

The opposition at BP rarely seem to show such comedies of errors though Lee.