Half way through the season

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should dickov be sacked or kept ?

• Sacked
    • Kept

Should he stay or go ?

Half way through the season and sat too close to w drop zone for my liking, this is a piss poor league and the best squad dickov has had so to be sat just five points above the drop zone having played an extra game is not good enough, crowds are plummeting and will be well below 3000 come spring at this rate. Time for a change IMO.

Edited by 4froale

Either option is pretty depressing at the moment. We either keep a manager who clearly isn't progressing and can't get our players performing consistently, or sack him and bring in another novice or journeyman manager who we'll no doubt get tired of and want sacking in a season and a half. So much for Christmas cheer eh?

I respect the opinion of all those who have chosen the kept option but I'd like to know why anybody would want to keep him.

I can't see what continues to sway the section of the supporters that still want him as manager.

More than likely sick of the revolving door that as been the past decade with absolute no improvement, just less and less budget after pay off upon pay off.

More than likely sick of the revolving door that as been the past decade with absolute no improvement, just less and less budget after pay off upon pay off.

This is pretty much it for me.

There are two types of managers that we could go for if we get rid of Dickov:

A young manager with ideas, enthusiasm and ambition who wants to climb up the managerial ladder and won't cost much to begin with (ring any bells?)

A hard-nosed experienced manager who will enforce strong discipline on our young squad, getting the results to stay up but not much more.

Either manager is likely to be unproven or a proven failure, both will definitely cost money to bring in (as well as paying off Dickov) meaning that money for the playing squad is likely to be less. Also both will want to make their own mark on the squad which, again, costs money.

Getting a new manager, despite being worth discussing, will be an expense that I don't think is necessary at this present time, we aren't going to go up so the best we can hope for this season is survival or progression. Dickov has shown that he can achieve the 1st part of that so I still think it's worth our time giving him time to achieve the 2nd part. That's not to say I think he's doing a good job. The season to date could've been a lot better than it is and we have some serious on-field issues that need to be sorted in January to assure that we stay up. I just think that there's still a greater chance that the next manager will be worse than Dickov.

It's a depressing situation but it doesn't mean that sacking Dickov is the least worst option. Changing other things are a higher priority in my opinion.

A young manager with ideas, enthusiasm and ambition who wants to climb up the managerial ladder and won't cost much to begin with (ring any bells?)

A hard-nosed experienced manager who will enforce strong discipline on our young squad, getting the results to stay up but not much more.

Either manager is likely to be unproven or a proven failure, both will definitely cost money to bring in (as well as paying off Dickov) meaning that money for the playing squad is likely to be less. Also both will want to make their own mark on the squad which, again, costs money.

Getting a new manager, despite being worth discussing, will be an expense that I don't think is necessary at this present time, we aren't going to go up so the best we can hope for this season is survival or progression. Dickov has shown that he can achieve the 1st part of that so I still think it's worth our time giving him time to achieve the 2nd part. That's not to say I think he's doing a good job. The season to date could've been a lot better than it is and we have some serious on-field issues that need to be sorted in January to assure that we stay up. I just think that there's still a greater chance that the next manager will be worse than Dickov.

It's a depressing situation but it doesn't mean that sacking Dickov is the least worst option. Changing other things are a higher priority in my opinion.

That's an interesting viewpoint and maybe i have been hasty thinking it is time to sack. I personally feel like we are stuck in a bit of a rut with a pretty crap squad and manager and that a new man might at least give the players a kick up the backside to ensure safety, but I genuinely think most managers would struggle to get much out of this side, individually they might not be bad players but collectively they are :censored:e and I don't think that is going to change. There is not enough players with athleticism or creative spark for that IMO

Disagree, the right person's there, you've just got to make the right appointment. Remember Jim Gannon on the train back from Crewe saying, if the position came up, we'd have 15 applicants with a proven track record. I admire Corney's patience and night Latics fan didn't want it to work, it just hasn't. We've gotta get rid now

I surprised myself by voting for 'kept'. I suspect the sack would mean no money available to spend on the team. I'm beginning to think that rather than having a better squad, the brilliance of Baxter is I think hiding a lot, we might be no better than the last two years. Take away the goals from Baxter and Derbyshire and we wouldn't last in league two let alone league one. Is this a group of players who want to play football at any cost or are they just earning a living. 16th begins to look like a very good result but I do fear the worst unless there is some money to strengthen the squad with loans in January. Better the devil you know! Lets support the team and PD. My advice would be to ensure that the players don't leave their sharpness on the training ground, it isn't all about hard work, and to adopt a much more positive attitude - don't talk about having difficulty keeping a run going, don't talk about not having won at Yeovil for eight games. What the players think is what you will get - don't poison their minds with negative thoughts.

ive said it before, and ill keep saying it, we could have The special one in charge but the way the club is set up, we will never succeed. its no coincidence we look substandard year on year, no matter what the personnel, or manager in charge. until we have a budget that puts us in the top ten in the league we will forever be :censored:e.

im not saying corney is doing a bad job. all i am saying is people seem to believe that sacking dickov and bringing in manager X will solve our problems. but while he is working under the same circumstances he will fail as well.

corney needs to find investment for the club to progress and that aint going to happen anytime soon, so i say stick with a manager we know can deliver 16th, rather than gamble on someone who could possibly take us to 21st. if things change (sir alex fancys a challenge, or a fan wins the euros on christmas day) then maybe think about changing the gaffa, but until then, i would rather stick with dickov than swap for another average joe.

the only reason i would get rid of dickov is we slipped into the relegation zone and spent a few weeks there

I have seen more enthusiasm on the pitch from Chaddy the Owl than some of the so called professional footballers.

Wouldn't think it was their :censored:ing job.

Absolutely Spineless this season - no fight in them, don't know what goes on behind the scenes at all... PD was always a scrappy footballer, up for any game and to fight for any ball.. why's he not passing that philosophy onto his players!

Something needs to change, Manager seems like the most vulnerable spot at the club as it stands, first 11 goldenboys will remain untouched unless changes are enforced through suspension/injury

Lack of mixing it up when things go tits up - yes, consistancy is good with the squad, but not losing consistancy.

Totally fed up fan, please SC do something about it!

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

ive said it before, and ill keep saying it, we could have The special one in charge but the way the club is set up, we will never succeed. its no coincidence we look substandard year on year, no matter what the personnel, or manager in charge. until we have a budget that puts us in the top ten in the league we will forever be :censored:e.

im not saying corney is doing a bad job. all i am saying is people seem to believe that sacking dickov and bringing in manager X will solve our problems. but while he is working under the same circumstances he will fail as well.

corney needs to find investment for the club to progress and that aint going to happen anytime soon, so i say stick with a manager we know can deliver 16th, rather than gamble on someone who could possibly take us to 21st. if things change (sir alex fancys a challenge, or a fan wins the euros on christmas day) then maybe think about changing the gaffa, but until then, i would rather stick with dickov than swap for another average joe.

the only reason i would get rid of dickov is we slipped into the relegation zone and spent a few weeks there

Yet again another one spouting this budget rubbish - SC said pre season we had a budget around 12-15th mark so in some respects being literal, we are about where we technically should be.

We do need investment but i'll say it again and again no one needs to be world beaters in this league to do well - get the right blend of players all scrapping for the same thing and you have a chance - budgets are not an anagram for the word 'team'

Scunny, Colchester and now Trannies all prove this to be true - and for the record Ronnie (not saying he is the manager we should have etc, purely finance related) has said they have a bottom 6 budget.

Granted wheels fallen/falling off but hey, look where they are - swap places? damn right.

Nice guy and great at getting the players in but waaay to soft on them - defeats evidently don't hurt them and i mean hurt them - i have never seen a group of 'professionals' be so casual both when drawing a game and trying to win it let alone losing and fighting for a draw etc - disgusting.

'footballers have a hard life' i hear them cry - no you :censored:ing don't - show some god damn passion and pride and that's 1-11.

Agree in getting people like Mellor and Taylor in - drop that wimp of a 'captain' for starters, :censored:e the past 12 months. Wes has too been poor but does the DM role better than DF IMO, and have Mellor as the driving midfielder with his power, pace, effort, forward mentality and passing ability - this then opens up the room for the wingers to get higher up the pitch and to supply the strikers = goals and wins #shock horror#

Dead easy to beat us - PD has the philosophy 'get our wide men in the game and get crosses in the box' - notice nothing from midfield here, hence the cagney and lacey defensive double act.

So.....you mark our wingers out of the game as you know our midfeild aren't going to be firstly able to pass a bleeding ball forwards let alone make runs and carry the ball forward at pace, due to a combo of the player himself being beyond thick to think that the strikers dont need support and a manager tactically clueless.

Hey presto - nice easy win.

'We've been saying to Dean to get in the box and attack' - he has done it properly for 2 games this year vs donny and preston - he clearly hasnt done what PD tells him to - is he dropped?? no - because he is 'captain'.... tut tut you can never drop your captain can you......

If we genuinely had a Ritchie type situation ala all we had to play were kids and the odd freebie then i am damn sure we would all be admiring PD for the job he was doing under those circustances...

BUT - given that both him and SC want better and have amassed a talented league 1 squad it is not acceptable.

Thanks PD but not good enough in tactics, managerial balls, performance, demeanour or effort given the decent squad we have - time to go.

Edited by shefflatic

Sorry to hark back to the "Good Old days" but I have watched latics since we were applying for re-election in the 4th Division (Old Money). We were pretty poor in those days but at least the players put a shift in and we tended to be fairly well organised. We knew we weren't the best and didn't have the best players but the ones we did have we could identify with and in turn they tried their best. Over the years Jimmy Frizzell improved the squad and got us playing as a "team" as we got better we even started bringing in "luxury" players (Stainrod, Groves etc.) and they did their bit for us. Then Joe came in and, if you are talking about playing budgets, I bet times were worse then than now, but he still managed to wheel and deal and bring money in to keep us going, whilst strengthening the squad.

I won't go on any further into the "Glory Years" but you see where I am coming from. Dickov may talk the talk but he definately can't walk the walk. This is the best squad of players we have had, he says, so why aren't we doing better. We are still 16th and will remain 16th for the foreseeable future unless we lose Baxter and whoever else, in which case we may slip further down the league. But then again he may bring different players in who will do a job for us - we don't know. The unfortunate thing is that this is his third season and we are going nowhere. The players may have changed but the tactics remain the same. One good performance followed by three or four poor ones with little effort, passion or desire. Dickov will then state it was unacceptable and he will sort it out - but three years on he hasn't and still we stagnate. I don't think he gets much help from his backroom staff either. I don't have a clue as to what goes on at training but if this is the best that Taggart, Duxbury, etc. can do alongwith our "super" fitness trainers then it is time for a change. Speaking of Duxbury - he was touted as a possible candidate for the managers job a while back, who would now want him with the dire results the reserves now get, even with a strong looking team against supposed inferior opposition, we still get rolled over by teams like Fleetwood Reserves, etc.

I don't like the idea of changing managers every two minutes, but I think maybe it is time to grasp the nettle and make the necessary changes. I wouldn't stop at Dickov either. We need a completely new start so I would get rid of everyone associated with the current set-up. A new manager would invariably want his own staff anyway so releasing them all would probably help the new guy. We need someone who would at least get the players playing as an organised team, difficult to break down and prepared to put a shift in. If not we move them on and try the next lot of mercenaries or throw the kids in and sink of swim with them. Either way if we stay as we are we will be complaining like this next season and the season after whilst playing in front of crowds of two thousand losing whatever hard core we have left game by game. As we are the club is slowly dying and Dickov isn't helping.

Sorry to go on but I feel deeply for my club and I am now getting more worried than ever, even during the dark days after moore left us in the lurch. Yes I know some of you will respond by saying we have no money, we have a sh1t ground, we can't afford the right players etc. but we have to start somewhere and on the pitch is as good as anywhere.

Edited by shorelatic

I agre with most of what you say and would like Ian Dowie back at the club. He and Harbin had the players fitter, stronger, and much more organised than any of the prosession of managers we've had since.

In an ideal world I would keep Philiskirk who does a decent job with the kids but Dickov, Taggart, Duxbury & Butler would be gone, however paying up the contacts of those four would probably cost the club £250k.

I don't think Corney would be prepared to do that and any new manager could be forced to work alongside the current back room staff and that would seriously affect the quality of the applicants.

A caretaker role until May could be the way forward and then have a new man in place for the start of next season.

Whatever happens, I cannot see Dickov & Co suddenly getting this team on a winning run and climbing up the league.

I hope I'm wrong but I can see us getting a stuffing today. We've playedi Doncaster twice recently and Saunders will have us well and truly sussed. Another defeat and/or poor performance today could leave Corney with a major decision to make. Does he pull the trigger now and get a new man in for the Cup game or wait.

A 4th round draw against one of the big boys could be our salvation this season and whoever the man in charge for that game is he has to have us organised and focused.

Although highly unlikly, I hope that man is Ian Dowie!