Chris Iwelumo

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see some have written him off as a terrible signing already, before he's even kicked a ball for us.

It may have slipped attention, but there isn't a surfeit of pacy, proven goalscorers around on loan (or they wouldn't be on loan). And as Dave says, we've tried the unproven youngsters route before.

At worst he'll be a handy backup in case of injuries and a wise head (along with Murray) to stiffen the spine of a young, thin squad.

At best he'll do what Kuqi did in the first half of last season. It wouldn't be fair to expect the same performances from Smith every game for the rest of the season, and Taylor doesn't look quite ready yet either. I would rather have an experienced striker available than assume Smith and Taylor can score the goals to pull us away from relegation.

Nice to see some have written him off as a terrible signing already, before he's even kicked a ball for us.

It may have slipped attention, but there isn't a surfeit of pacy, proven goalscorers around on loan (or they wouldn't be on loan). And as Dave says, we've tried the unproven youngsters route before.

At worst he'll be a handy backup in case of injuries and a wise head (along with Murray) to stiffen the spine of a young, thin squad.

At best he'll do what Kuqi did in the first half of last season. It wouldn't be fair to expect the same performances from Smith every game for the rest of the season, and Taylor doesn't look quite ready yet either. I would rather have an experienced striker available than assume Smith and Taylor can score the goals to pull us away from relegation.

As long as we aren't busing the bank for him then fair enough.

I seem in the minority when I say I am happy

The moaning on here the last few days does my head in

What did you expect a bloke who has a record of scoring 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 coming to a team fighting relegation to League 2 who doesnt have a pot to piss in still as we are in debt

Welcome Chris, I hope that you can help Smith along as well, we will have two real players in the box if they play together he may have the nouse to feed of Smith, lets be honest he isnt going to be 20yards behind him on the edge of the box is he. Scored goals at a higher level and from what I have seen in the past is a handful.

Didnt he used to take loads of pens by starting his run-up with his back to goal?

Smith COULD cause defences all sorts of problems as shown vs Coates and Skrtel. He's a big powerful lad who needs abit more confidence and put himself about abit more. Every player has strengths and weaknesses and unfortunately his weakness is pace.

I'm not going to slag Chris Iwelum off because he could come here and do well, I will reserve my judgement until he's played a couple of games.

Developing news: http://www1.skysport...lose-on-Iwelumo

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

He's probably good at this level but I'm not sure why we need him. This idea that he can teach Smith, I don't buy it. Smith has improved dramatically over the past 2 months and that's because he actually started to cement a regular position in the team. Iwelumo will come along and take that place. How could that make him get better?

If we didn't already have a striker in the ilk of Iwelumo then I'd say it is a good signing because he's done okay at higher levels, but we have a younger, Oldham contracted player who is getting better every week in Matt Smith.

We needed a small striker who could make the runs off the headers if anything, on the condition that Dickov won't play Taylor that is. A similar player to Derbyshire.

Although, if he does come here and score a shed load of goals I couldn't care less about how big or small or fat or thin he is. Maybe this signing represents a change in Dickov's tactics and that would certainly be welcome.

Edited by NewBlue

Is this the same Smith that has been sarcastically cheered when he has hit the net in the warm up before recent games.

I think he has been getting better as he has played games but it seems some on here thinks he has been brilliant for weeks now, not just last week.

He has worked and hard and needed someone up front but at times he has been poor, is it his fault?

He deserved his chance in recent games but some need to be honest, If we had been beaten by 5 against Liverpool and Smith hadnt got a sniff, him keeping his place or learning from Iwelumo wouldnt even be a discussion.

Iwelumo will start Saturday if the deal goes though as Smith will be resting his shoulder, will Smith come back in if the new guy scores in a win? debatable

Really?

He was superb at Forrest & Scunthorpe and has battled on without support beyond that. He certainly added aggression to his game long before Sunday.

Didnt see Scunthorpe, but yeah Forest he was good i forgot that game. However before this i just didnt see it, was far to nice to defenders for his size. I hope that these last few weeks have really changed him as i would really like to see him do well. Hopefully this signing will keep him from dropping into his comfort Zone, if he keeps up anything like that Liverpool performance nobody would take the shirt from him but i cannot see it..... Iwelumo for me is a better all round player, when signed i dont think it will be long before the place in the team is his.

Smith didn't win many headers at Notts County, compared to his previous performances. After Sunday's performance he's going to be marked by two men now, so another big bugger could cause chaos amongst defenders, giving Baxter and Co opportunities to capitalise on loose balls.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns