Don't kid yourselves

I will be in trouble with many fans for rising to the bait Derek and some will say that I should know better than address you as I intend to do.

Your attack on Simon Corney is unjust, malicious and damned right rude. I thought better of you.

There again you have not been around for a long time but you do seem to have rather a large gathering of support that has followed you through thick and thin.

This club is representative of thoughts on this board but not from the input of fans from the past. It survives mainly from those who stand by it through thick and thin. Unfortunately I cannot place you in the later category.

You worked on the Trust for a while but more as a talker than a doer and that seems somewhat relevant when I read your opportunistic entries on this site.

Right now the club appreciates those who stand by it through thick and thin and I am pleased to see that quite a number of people have attempted to put your nose out of place regarding your insults.

I do not post my thought very often on this site any longer but you do have the ability to bring the worst out of me and I am sure I will be reminded that I should know better.

Whatever your objectional views are about Simon Corney, unlike you he has stood by the club through thiick and thin. He has done so at his own personal expense and I know his life has been affected at times by the worry that is combined withy being in the position that Oldham is at the moment. It is about time that somebody stood up and told it as it is. Whilst I appreciate yourt right to hold an opinion please have the good grace and maturity not to be so rude to people and keeep up to date with events at the club.

We all know and don't need reminding by you that we are currently having problems that we shall hopefiully resolve.

And before you suggest it I am not Simon's puppet and diasgree with him on many things.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ok, but no one should make unsubstantiated accusations.

I'm always open to opinion but interested to know why he's personally against Corney and what more he expects Cormey to do than he's currently doing?!

All I was saying was that he was entitled to an opinion no matter what frequency his support is. But I agree with you both in regards to personal attacks and accusations without any substance. That should really be left off the forum. I think the situation in regards to the running of the club can be discussed without resorting to it getting personal.

And on that thin veneer of evidence, you have made yourself judge, jury and executioner. How would you feel if people judged YOU on the same basis?

Evidence doesn't matter, facts are irrelevant = tinpot dictator in the making. Take a look at yourself, I thought you were better than that, you probably think so too.

It's all very dramatic; :censored:balls, it's only a football club. There is absolutely no need to get so wound up.

Personally I'm happy Mr Owen came on and stuck up for his colleague. It shows there is passion and empathy for the past 10 years effort. Most of us supporters have empathy also, what we struggle with is the poor state of the stadium / unbelievably poor website (worst pro football website I've ever seen) & much more importantly the poor signing of managers, or rash decisions to sack. I didn't care for Talbot, he had success at R&D due to lots of money, Moore could have been successful had he had a couple of seasons. Shez had great backing but was a bit too lenient and drinking culture ruined him. Penney was a bad one but is now showing up Dickov!!

Yes we all like PD but please Mr Owen, he is taking us down. We're deep into the 3rd version of our 2nd half season losing streak, he's had so many players but delivers the same set of results. We need a manager with tactical ability and double quick. Sadly, it's not PD.

Why then, if you've seen your general manager perform bad to worse over almost 3 years, would you make him do three / four times more work by sacking all the coaching staff, then back him with x4 new signings?? It's been almost 2 months and we're down to x3 coaches? Crazy!

Nothing has come out of the club regarding re-structuring the management. If, like all us supporters you, Mr Owen, and SC don't want the club in div 4. Why have you not replaced the management too? He's prove to us all he isn't a good manager but a good negotiator with other clubs for bringing in players. Once they are here, we still lose. Brining in x2 more strikers and then yet again pushing M'Voto upfront tells its own tale.

Please please please act now before its too late. There are decent managers available at present, can we at least go for them. If we don't have enough resources to sack the current personnel, please say so at least we we know where the clubs interests are.

Is PD a top guy? Absolutely.

Will we go down with him in charge and with but 2 other recognised coaches? Absolutely.

Do we need a different outlook, a plan B/C/D on the pitch? Absolutely.

Will it be too late to make a change after the Everton game? Absolutely.

Please act now or at least tell us when the new coaching structure is coming in place. The club, from the outside looking in, looks to be in poor hands so let's prove that's not the case!!

I thank you!

Agree 100% with your post Latics76.

Corney should be regarded as the continual saviour of this club as opposed to architect of its downfall.

However....

Remaining patient with PD will lead to only one outcome now. We need a fresh direction, a catalyst; someone who will kick the players up the backside and be more influential.

Apart from this what more can Corney do? Bring in backroom staff but what's the point when PD's days are obviously numbered and we're simply delaying he inevitable. Top bloke but he's history I'm afraid; pull the trigger now and bring in his successor as its safe to say the club must have been looking for the last few weeks due to the situation and can strike now to have them around Tuesday night and in charge Saturday.

Enjoy with your band of ever shrinking inert 'better than yous'.

Don't ask any questions, you'll never hear any lies.

That line about sacking our best manager for years to protect hughes was a lie though derek. We all know that.

It's pretty clear that your assessment of anyhting latics do is subject to the extreme prejudices that you now hold.

It's not as if you have any genuine basis for your venomous attitiude either - you admit you have no knowledge to base it on.

But you seem to have a vague notion that there's another option, a white knight, that could have done it better, put more money in or spent it more wisely.

What I do know is that you allege a plan to stay in league 1 so that a future property deal can happen; but it would make far more sense to let the club go down and not have recruited the players that came in last week. And we've been here before, and had the same sort of investment. Bizarre logic.

Wow Derek doesn't go in two years, states the obvious about the football, repeats a conspiracy theory about SC being a (very bad) property dealer. Hardly adds anything to the current debate, not sure why everyone's reacting to this????

On another note, if SC wants to be successful in Property, I would be happy to offer my services as I have seemingly much more successful with limited funds.

I’ve no more idea whether Corney tells lies, and all I can do is take him at his word and see if his words materialise into actions.

In the Oldham Advertiser on 19 July 2012, in an interview connected with the new stand proposal, he said he had ‘never felt as confident about the future’, that he remains ‘in love’ with Oldham but would sell up to any bidder he believes could take them further than he could.

However, he added that there are currently no investors in place. "It’s a slight worry," he admitted. "But I have earmarked some money and we will get it built. It won’t be difficult to find investors once we have tenants in place and if we have to do it out of capital we have to do it out of capital." On the approaching landmark, Corney joked: "Ten years – what did I do to deserve this? "I love it here and Oldham has become dear to me. In all seriousness it’s a bit like a girlfriend that drives you mad but you have an attachment to her. "I love the people, it’s a great town and for the first time ever there is a really good council leadership. "Now I feel confident that there is a future here and if you asked me three years ago I would not have had that confidence."

In terms of selling the club, Corney revealed that none of the offers to take Latics off his hands have been serious. "Not one has been genuine or legitimate," he said. "I ask them (the bidders) what are their plans and do they have any money. "The answer is always ‘we don’t know and we have not got any money’ – that is not an offer for the football club. "If someone could secure the future of the club I would hand over the keys tomorrow."

Looking ahead to the coming season Corney downplayed the impact a cut to the wage bill will have. "We won’t end up lowering the budget by that much. I would imagine if we break the league into six lots of four we won’t be in the first two but we might be between the third and fourth."

At the public meeting at the Radclyffe School on the Failsworth proposal, Corney said “We’re not looking to get up and leave or to not see through on the mission.…we would never put the Club into administration or anything like that. I think that people are upset that we’ve been down this road before”.

He also said “A financial genius could not get out of this deal level. I don’t ever see us taking money out of the Club. The Club doesn’t have a burden of debt, it’s all personal and that’s a pretty good safeguard to have.

Without making this a sob story - we are never going to get our money back. It’s bizarre how anyone can come up with figures to suggest we can make money. The only way to break even would be to sell Boundary Park and go back to America. We stay because we like it. If we wanted to we could walk away, sell boundary Park and there’s nothing could be done to stop us and if we’re supposedly trying to make money from this why would we not do that now and walk away?"

At the second Radclyffe School forum, Corney said:

“The Club doesn’t have a burden of debt. It’s all personal and that’s a pretty good safeguard to have. We will not go into Administration. We will not do a Stockport. There are ten clubs on the brink of Administration in our league, but we’re held up by them as a model of how to run a club. About how to run a club prudently. Huddersfield have a very wealthy owner putting in £5m a year, but if he was to walk away, they’re in trouble.“

Only time will tell whether Corney/TTA have been true to their word. In the absence of anyone prepared to buy them out, their statements of intent are all we have until we see how the plans materialise.

Meanwhile the ‘smoke and mirrors’ accusations are bound to continue because, in the knowledge of the ten-year covenant and in the absence of any concrete evidence of a new stand, leading to a sustainable Club, the doubts expressed by the Corney disbelievers will continue to appear justified, and it’s impossible to prove them to be incorrect.

Those who still support the team, including Derek, can empathise with TTA when SC said "We know it’s an emotional thing for many people. We’ve fallen for the place. It’s where we started."

Actions speak louder than words and never has that been more true in respect of Latics, both on and off the field.

Come on Barry, Latics have lurched from disaster to crisis on a regular basis in these last ten years.

Where is there any concrete evidence of progress under TTA?

I will apologise for the language I have used to those offended, but despite the fact I don't go anymore other than an odd one off here and then, it doesn't mean I'm not interested or that i don't care about a club that for much of my life I have cherished.

Whilst I'm no Prozac, I remember all the big events in my life as Latics related anecdotes.

I just don't buy into anymore, I have no more proof than gut feeling that something is going to go terribly wrong and we will be in a worse situation than when it all went belly up post Chris Moore.

On the flip side, there's no proof that anything good is happening to the club, bar a few decent results in a competition where we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Dunno. But neither does anyone else. So opinions it is then. However diverse they may be.

Its been about three years or so since I have been to a game and made any serious comment about the club. Reading this and given the events of the last week it's obvious the club and the reasoning and stances of all involved haven't changed one bit. The only movement has been the club further declining in terms of league position.

It's so sad to see.

Love or hate Derek if he went to the game he was entitled to an opinion on the situation. No matter how right or wacky it was.

Funny to see Barry still only pops up when Derek does :).

What happened to the trust? Is it still in existence?