How many think the deal is done.....

Not me, it wouldn't make any kind of sense. The work of the new man would need to start right away on the training ground in working on suitable tactics, redefining who Saturday's starting XI should be & installing a bit of belief into a squad with 1 point out of 27. After Saturday there's almost the distraction on Everton before another very tough game at Stevenage. Even a couple of points from these two may help in the final shake up so what would be the point in stalling fixing things at the club just so there's some sort of 'surprise'.

Not me, it wouldn't make any kind of sense. The work of the new man would need to start right away on the training ground in working on suitable tactics, redefining who Saturday's starting XI should be & installing a bit of belief into a squad with 1 point out of 27. After Saturday there's almost the distraction on Everton before another very tough game at Stevenage. Even a couple of points from these two may help in the final shake up so what would be the point in stalling fixing things at the club just so there's some sort of 'surprise'.

Agreed.

If I was a betting man, I'd say we've offered it to Dowie, but he's turned us down and Corney is desperately scrambling about for someone else.

We need to sort it out quickly - the longer this goes, the more games pass and the less chance the new man will have of saving us from the drop (barring an unlikely in-house change in attitude and performance, which brings results in the interim).

Think the longer the selection process drags on the less likely Dowie will be the new manager. In our position we can't afford to mess about but we can't afford to make a mistake either.

It's already been widely accepted that Dowie's the favourite but If he were to be the new boss I think it would have happened by now.

My guess is the salary and length of contract could be what's causing the delay.

Has it been suggested that interviews have even started?

I have to admit that l am disappointed. I truly thought that soundings would have been taken with available potential managers in the week before Liverpool, and that post a defeat by Liverpool the new man would have been in place within hours, or the odd day or so - look at Notts Forest.

OK so the pesky Scot delayed it by a week but we were helped by the snow in mid week, but, each and every game from now on is absolutely critical. We needed someone in place on Wednesday to begin to bring influence to the squad and commence the process of kicking them into shape. Clearly there have been difficulties in the appointment process.

Can anyone really see this squad suddenly turning over a new leaf and performing miracles on Saturday for TP, or will we get the usual float through the game type performance, pending the arrival of the new man sometime next week. OK if new man is produced on a sliver plater before the game, this might just induce them to buck their ideas up, but if not, l really worry that we will be waving goodbye to another desperately needed three points.

Manager left 4 days ago. It's hardly taking forever.

PD was gone at 5.00pm on the evening of the Liverpool game, if we'd lost, as l suspect SC had assumed. The decision was probably made days before the Liverpool game, and therefore SC and board had the time to take soundings, as l suggested in the first paragraph of my initial post.

I truly can't imagine that SC and co came away from the telephone call with PD on the Sunday after the Walsall game, and thought for the very first time " golly gosh chaps, we need to find a new manager, let's see who's available ".

Or the delay may be gaining the coaches etc....but if the deal is just to the end of the season we deserve nobody.

Spot on Alec, you have got to show faith in the man you appoint and we HAVE to get it right this time. If we go down then we go down because of the results all season, its not the new mans fault we're the drop zone now. The club HAS to appoint someone they believe is right long term regardless of the outcome this season, Lord knows we need stability more than anything. A short term contract says "I don't want to pay you off when you fail". Not a great start.

Don’t forget Corney said on TalkSport he would arrange interviews and had got a couple of weeks to get it sorted. He made it clear he would not rush an appointment this time, like he has done in the past. He seemed to be aiming at having someone in post after the Everton game at the latest.

In spite of what Corney said, everyone’s expectations for a quick appointment were raised by a BBC NW Reporter, who’s now had his 15 minutes of fame, as had Dowie’s son.

Corney is aware of the general consensus of opinion on here about the various reported candidates. There's no point panicking about the bookies' ever-changing favourites.

Let’s assume nothing will happen this week. Then watch the same old :censored: on Saturday, and sit back waiting for the white smoke.

from what i am hearing, this is true and it is still possible.....................we shall see

How much talking is needed?

SC - thanks for coming for the interview Iain

ID - what you on about Simon? We've been talking about it for weeks whilst you were playing the best friends act with Paul in the press.. That Liverpool win came as a shock and I had to dust off the headphones one last time when you then panicked to the media but Paul's gone now.

SC - oh yeah....the jobs yours then

ID - great, still have the company car anyway so best make my way over to the ground to meet the lads....I'll have them running through walls come Saturday starting with a lovely 5am swim in the morning

It will be interesting to see who is in the stand on Saturday.

If Dowie is commentating on another game on Sky on Saturday. Does that mean it's no deal?

If Scholes is in the stand, will it be only because ManU is playing Sunday? By the way, how long is the walk from Saddleworth to Boundary Park?