Tony Philliskirk

Never really been one to gush about players or management, but if anyone was worth it - Tony Philliskirk, take a bow.

In modern day football, fans / tabloids plaster people as club legends for anything (Matt Smith for instance), but yet, for people outside the club, Tony Philliskirk is probably just another Caretaker manager.

I can't speak highly enough of the fella, having been with the club through the good and bad times (mostly the latter), he's always there when the chips are down ready to help out. Not many people would do what he's doing - managing under 18s in the morning then taking the first team in a massive cup game - always comes across as a class act, keen to do whats best for the club not just what might be good for him.

I'd be happy to give him and Paul Gerrard the job FT, but respect to Tony, it might be out of his comfort zone long term. I do think though that in the coming years something should be done to honour him and his efforts, rare we'll ever find a servant as loyal as Tony.

Give him the job until the end of the season.

See how we get on.

If it doesn't work out, give him his old role back. If it does work out, give him the job on the proviso that he can go back to his old role if ever it stops working out.

Simples.

I'm really swaying to the idea of a deal for Tony.

A

Stipulation in his management contract that says something about a return to his Youth Coach role if it goes belly up.

Top bloke, who's actually doing a magnificent job considering the juggling of roles & responsibilities he's having to work around.

To be honest I wouldn't want tp to take it and fail due to inexperience I would like someone to come in and keep tp involved in the first team including transfers etc to get him experience in that side of things and then if the opportunity arises again then let him go at it

MENOAFC@MENOAFC

TP on fans: "The wife showed me a video on YouTube taken from the Chaddy when I got in. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up."

Love it. Such a normal, local bloke that feels passionately about the club.

Edited by NewBlue

What part of TP saying he doesn't want the job do people not understand?

I know. You can tell he's not manager material when he found it crushingly heartbreaking to tell young Dan Taylor that he wasn't in the matchday squad for the game. He clearly sees his future bringing through those kids. His pride and joy.

I'd love us to arrange an appreciation/benefit dinner for him. Have a few ex-youth players invited down who owe their future to his development of them. It'd be a fantastic occasion and a chance to really demonstrate what he means to the club and us as fans.

In his post-match interview on TalkSport, Stan Collymore asked TP if he was offered the job, would he take it? TP said "I'd have to think long and hard about it. I'm also responsible for the EPPP (Elite Player Performance Programme) as well. Developing the youth at this Club is as important as the manager's job. We've sold so many young players over the years gone by. That's how we've survived.I think that's my strength, coaching and developing, and if that's my strength, maybe that's what I should continue to do."

Got some money on him by any chance? :grin:

I have but I'd be better off if Dowie got it. I do think we need to put an end to the uncertainty so it doesn't become a distraction while we're fighting relegation. If there's no stand out candidate to bring in, give it to TP and review at the end of the season.

In the MEN Matt Smith said:

“All the lads love Tony, he is a club legend. The workload he has is obscene but that he can do that and come out winning is not just testament to him as a coach but as a person too. We would like him to stay for the rest of the season but if a new man comes in he will have our backing.”

TP said:

“It was one man and his dog at the youth game (at Salford City on saturday morning) but I enjoyed getting a point there – Rochdale are a good side – as much as this. I’ll see if I’m asked to take the first team again on Monday and we’ll take it from there.”

But does he want the job, even until the end of the season?

TP stated before Dickov's departure that SC needed to get the coaching team sorted ASAP because of how stretched they were.

Do you think Murray / Cliff B would be interested - taking on the youth while TP works his magic with the first team? - Give TP the job till the end of the season he may grow to love it and also who knows the team / club better than him - and no excuses or spin from him totally honest and top bloke.

Edited by Stoney

Do you think Murray / Cliff B would be interested - taking on the youth while TP works his magic with the first team? - Give TP the job till the end of the season he may grow to love it and also who knows the team / club better than him - and no excuses or spin from him totally honest and top bloke.

We want the best person for every job.

so Murray or Byrne may not be right for the youths, TP is.

TP may be a good coach/tactician. Is he good at attracting players? I don't know and I suspect he doesn't either.

No. there haven't been "excuses/spin" from him. But let's not pretend that a rocky run - and all managers have them - wouldn't see him making "excuses".

I am inclined to give him a go until the end of the season - if results in next two matches are ok - but am still not convinced he's right for manager longer term. When the role would demand wheeling and dealing, selling the club to players, etc etc.

My opinion is that TP can best serve Oldham staying with the youth setup. Look at the success of the academy with TP, it is one of the best track records in the football, and is highly rated by the PFA and League Football Education. This is in no small part due to TP. I don't see why he would want to leave it, or why we as fans would want that either.

I'm sure he would make a good manager, but in the same breath he is an exceptional youth coach

tp knows lots of other youth coaches from around the country and could have lots of contacts, he stated last week he knows moyes through youth team work.

if we get a point 2night and 3 on sat then why get a new man in. keep tp till end of season let murreyand bryne look after youth till end of season they are already getting their badges.

then if tp doesnt want to step up we get new man.