Other clubs you have a soft spot for ?

Many if us will I'm sure have a soft spot for other clubs, maybe from childhood, or away from home at Uni or other jobs, perhaps when visiting friends in other parts of the country.

Ashton United was the first club in my affections, but moving around I enjoyed watching Yeovil Town, I go to Droylsden with a mate when I can, and on holiday In Madeira I had the time of my life watching the local team.

Who are the other teams do you always look out for besides the Latics ?

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread topic this. But I really don't look out for anyone's results or have a soft spot for anyone else. I used to watch dale when Latics were away as a kid, but never built up any affection for them. Teams like Halifax and Chester that have gone out of business I would love to see them come back up to the league.

I always had a spot for Rochdale, mainly because we were in the second tier (then the 1st), and they were in the 4th and posed no threat. Even went to see them a few times when we were playing away. Not so much anymore now were a he'll of a lot closer in a positional sense!

And other...... Cowdenbeath! Can't for the life of me remember why though.......

2 where I have a soft spot but only support one club obviously.....

Derby County FC as I lived there as a student and got my footballing fix at the Baseball Ground with radio stuck to my ear listening to Oldham score.

Tamworth FC as its my nearest professional club.

Honestly, I'm not really that arsed about anyone but Latics. I like watching other games as a neutral and like to watch teams with a good style of play, like Arsenal, but I'm not really bothered about any other team's fortunes.

I always had a spot for Rochdale, mainly because we were in the second tier (then the 1st), and they were in the 4th and posed no threat. Even went to see them a few times when we were playing away. Not so much anymore now were a he'll of a lot closer in a positional sense!

And other...... Cowdenbeath! Can't for the life of me remember why though.......

Perhaps Cowdenbeath struck a chord as they are known as the Blue Brazil, also think they call the ground the San Siro just north of the Forth.

Soft spot for Slavia Prague after many visits to the Czech Republic and catching a few games.

For some reason I look out for Fleetwood's results,probably ever since Gregan went there.

Slightly off topic but I also follow Lancs Cricket & Wigan Warriors closely.

Ebbsfleet United (part-owner for 5 years).

Burton Albion (local for 38 years).

Shamrock Rovers (great craic over the past 15 years!).

Athletic Bilbao (Basque blood).

Was it a choice of part owning the Latics at the time Diego ?

Grimsby Town, mainly due to some lads I know from an online indie forum going back ten years now. They also write for Cod Almighty so enjoy reading about them.

Sunderland. This is pretty recent, but we met a couple on our honeymoon from up there. And I never really 'like' any Premiership sides so I've started rooting for them.

Avai FC. Brazilian side based in the southern city of Florinópolis. A lad I used to know way back in the 90's now lives over there and follows them home and away. They remind me a bit like Oldham back in the late 80's and early 90's - punching above their weight in the top division.

Luch Energia Vladivostock. Basically because of this story on Wikipedia!

Situated in the Far East of the country, their location poses a significant problem for away teams:9 hours by flight from Moscow. When playing FC Zenit Saint Petersburg at home, a trio of Zenit fans (Evgeny Stepanov, Aleksandr Zaraysky and Veronika Davidova) drove 15,000 km across the country only for their car to break down when in Vladivostok, leaving them unable to drive home. These fans thus took the Trans-Siberian Railway back to Saint Petersburg, upon which the club rewarded them with a new car on October 1, 2006.

Strange wandering out of the stadium to see a massive Tesco opposite!

Am not a great lover of the new stadium tbh,reminds me of a smaller version of St Mary's,no character just like the new stadiums in Britain.Slavia's previous ground was stuck on top of a hill like Amityville!It made for a very long and tiring walk after games when there was no available taxis,but had its own charm.

Am not a great lover of the new stadium tbh,reminds me of a smaller version of St Mary's,no character just like the new stadiums in Britain.Slavia's previous ground was stuck on top of a hill like Amityville!It made for a very long and tiring walk after games when there was no available taxis,but had its own charm.

It worked well as a concert venue. Glorious summer evening.