Other clubs you have a soft spot for ?

In England? None of the league teams. Non-league, I quite like Guisborough* (too much watching Northern League nowadays).

Abroad, loads of them. Napoli, Espanyol, Dinamo, IFK, Bastia, Unterhaching, Hertha, Benfica, Tblisi (goes back to the friendly I guess) and Hearts spring to mind.

*Which is inconvenient as I only started watching the bloody thing so I cvould have a drink and go on the bus. Which I can't do with them as it is miles away again.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bilbao - a proper club with a proper identity.

Dortmund - same as the above.

Stockport - a bloke at work goes home and away. Can't say I'm that bothered about them, but after hearing stories of how poor it is, still going (he went to Dartford on tuesday) I'd like them to get back into the league.

I don't get peoples affiliations with Scottish clubs.

On that note, Hibs. I go and watch them now and then, simply because they are on my doorstep, but I never get anything like the same feeling I get going to BP on matchday. No other club could ever come close.

I used to watch Newcastle when I studied there so always look out for their scores too.

Surprised how many people look out for the Grimsby score. I do too, got a soft spot for them as my mate i lived with in university supported them.

I used to do a bit of scouting for them, mainly opposition team assessments in the Manchester area, and even though I retired many

years ago they still they contact me occasionally if they want a youth game checked out.

If Latics don't follow up on my recent tip on a 18yo hot prospect by next week I'm sure Grimsby or my other contacts will.

City - Dad

Pompey - Mum

Cheltenham/Shrewsbury/Hull - Wife and Wife's family

Preston - student

Luton - Lived there for a year

Northampton/Barrow - mates

Hertha Berlin - Berlin is cool

Valencia/Napoli - Like playing them on Fifa

Can't say I look out for all the results, more of taking a passing interest.

Toronto FC in MLS. Lived there for a little bit so bit of an affection for the place. Living in a family of City fans I always like seeing United beat them just to wind them up but wouldn't say I support. I did when I was younger in rebelling against the blue blood in the family but when I got to 15 I seriously fell out of love with the premier league and the over paid morons such as Rooney, Terry etc who I could no longer look up to as role models as a whole and reverted to supporting Latics. Don't blame me, we all have dark periods in our lives and i'd never go back!!!

Would have always said Liverpool as I supported them as a kid before I was old enough to go to games but I lost so much respect for them over their handling of the Suarez affair.

There's not really any other English club that I really have a soft spot for. It's sad, but I genuinely do just want teams to win to prevent United winning anything so I suppose I wanted City to do Ok last season and Chelsea in the few years previously.

I follow Rangers' results and have been up there. Other than that I look to see how Barca and Eintracht have got on.

Oldham and the national team are the only ones I really show any passion for though.

For me, Newcastle.

First team I was introduced to was Oldham but I always loved watching Shearer play. I've been to a few Newcastle matches aswell and they really do have fantastic and mental supporters. That's about it. Also, due to the connection between the clubs, I also like Frankfurt. It's good to look out for those dudes.

For a couple of years I watched Stalybridge when there wasn't a latics match. Big soft spot for city (I know) and would probably consider them my second team - my first football shirt was a city one. Melbourne Victory are my A league team - try and catch them as much as I can.

In other sports the only team I really follow is Hawthorn in the AFL.

Viking FK - Girlfriend is from Stavanger, its her home club, and Ive been to see them a couple of times. Considering its top tier Norwegian football and the winners/second play in European competitions, the standard isnt much above League 1! Interestingly their fans are known for singing Tanana Viking!

Middlesbrough - Went with a couple of other Tics to see them away at Preston last Xmas when we had about 8 games in a row called off, and they won 3-1, we got pretty involved and we were caught on the highlights programmes on our chairs bouncing when Leroy Lita knocked home! Looked out for em since.

Bilbao, Napoli & Dortmund - After spending much time in Manchester in the last year or 2, Ive seen my fair share of European away followings and these 3 were the best. Bilbao were unbelievable and could be heard from the Mitre bar all the way down Deansgate, Dortmund took over when they played City and their away following in the stadium was unbelievably loud, and Napolis players were staying at a hotel next to us and were greeted by a mass of fans cheering when they were boarding the team coach just as I happened to walk past. Especially enjoyed Bilbao, but still look out for the other scores aswell!

I have a horrible feeling my first football shirt was a Sheffield Utd one.

Red and white stripes, black shorts. I think my Mum just bought the cheapest in the shop.

That's horrible, but you aren't saying you have a soft spot for them are you?

My first kit was Arsenal and so i supported them for a while in primary school. No real soft spot for them now but i'll support them in the North London derby and always hope Oldham will get drawn away there in the FA Cup

Newcastle, Best team I have ever seen at BP, Kevin Keegans newly promoted team battered us after Jobbo I think? gave us the lead. Andy (spit) Cole was brilliant that night and I remember us clapping some of Newcastles play.

My first kit was the old England white shirt, black shorts and white shorts, the boots were like hobnails.

So the national team is dear to my affections no matter what the sport.

I also played on Curzon Ashton's old ground as a schoolboy,but unfortunately I didn't emulate my class mate who

went on to score almost 200 goals in league football(I suffered a bad foot injury as a kid and never played again).

Strangely enough by chance I bumped into him in 2009 for the first time in over 50 years when scouting, only to

discover he's the Chief Scout at a Premiership club. it's a small world.

Edited by BP1960

My first kit was the old England white shirt, black shorts and white shorts, the boots were like hobnails.

So the national team is dear to my affections no matter what the sport.

I also played on Curzon Ashton's old ground as a schoolboy,but unfortunately I didn't emulate my class mate who

went on to score almost 200 goals in league football(I suffered a bad foot injury as a kid and never played again).

Strangely enough by chance I bumped into him in 2009 for the first time in over 50 years when scouting, only to

discover he's the Chief Scout at a Premiership club. it's a small world.

Can anyone get into scouting? You obviously have to spend a lot of time watching players and making reports - is there a set way to lay out the information though when sending it to a club? Just curious really, always enjoy your posts on the subject matter.

Can anyone get into scouting? You obviously have to spend a lot of time watching players and making reports - is there a set way to lay out the information though when sending it to a club? Just curious really, always enjoy your posts on the subject matter.

I have retired from the game now, it's easy to get into scouting on an expenses only or voluntary basis, just write to the club

you wish to work for.

You do need to demonstrate the commitment required as it can be very time consuming and a hard slog on some awful bad weather

days when sent to watch junior matches played on paddy fields with no cover.

All managers have their own methods on how assessments should be conducted, one I knew wanted every players

moves charted, while another just told me to look out for big,quick players and wanted little paperwork on opposition tactics.

Loyalty is usually to the manager and not the club as managers often move on to other clubs and ask their staff to follow them.

Also,you have to accept it's all about opinions, clubs don't always sign the players recommended - no mater how good you think

they are.I have recommended many who have failed miserably, on the other side of the coin some who could have been bought for

peanuts went on to become multi million pound players with other clubs.

The perks once established can be free seats in directors boxes and hospitality, Carlisle United and Altrincham being a couple

of my favourites in that respect.

Edited by BP1960