The End Is Near?

I think the premier league 2 was a 'guess' at what could happen next. The main points were about the increase in parachute payments vs the measley amounts the rest of the championship etc get.

However, it's all about money rather than the quality of the football.

I think the premier league 2 was a 'guess' at what could happen next. The main points were about the increase in parachute payments vs the measley amounts the rest of the championship etc get.

However, it's all about money rather than the quality of the football.

Which has been the case since the Premier League was voted in.

For aslong as I've been following football their has always been people predicting the death of the game at this level no doubt 20 years down the line we will have people saying the same thing. Their will always be a promotion and relegation from the premier league if they killed that they will be killing the goose that lays the golden egg as they will need the lower half of the premier league to compete for something to maintain its popularity.

You do have to question the fairness of parachute payments though imo. they are there to help cover the cost of relegation, but a far better way of doing it would be to have a relegation wage drop written into every new contract. this way players can leave if they want more money, and they might actually give a :censored: about being relegated rather than just accepting the pay cheque.

no team should be receiving larger pay outs than others if they are playing at the same level. sponsorship and ticket sales may vary. tv money and other payments from the fa/premier shouldnt.

For aslong as I've been following football their has always been people predicting the death of the game at this level no doubt 20 years down the line we will have people saying the same thing. Their will always be a promotion and relegation from the premier league if they killed that they will be killing the goose that lays the golden egg as they will need the lower half of the premier league to compete for something to maintain its popularity.

they used to say that about rugby league

Can television really sustain a PL2? Is there the demand? The ITV debacle suggested that there is no hunger/demand and, therefore, no television company will pay for it.

PL1 is proving to be an increasing bore. It's stifling. Who really wants to watch Stoke, Fulham, Wigan and many others (Sunderland) boring the arse of everyone.

It's all about how high you finish and how much money you make. No pride or passion. Soulless crap. Look out they've sucked the life out of the FA cup final.

PL2? More of the same.

What's more likely is a European Super League based on club size/revenue (squeezing out central European teams). Then PL1 and top championship clubs will re-form PL1. The pyramid will stay below that.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if the Football League took the decision to cut ties with the Premier League, rather than the Premier League taking the decision to break away.

Remember Dave Whelan stating that he would resign Wigan from the Premier League if promotion and relegation was scrapped (whether he does or not is another issue).

Wouldn't at all surprise me if the Football League took the decision to cut ties with the Premier League, rather than the Premier League taking the decision to break away.

Remember Dave Whelan stating that he would resign Wigan from the Premier League if promotion and relegation was scrapped (whether he does or not is another issue).

Personally, in theory I wouldn't be opposed. It would mean everyone agreeing and securing a good TV deal to make it workable.

However, too many teams in the Championship would oppose and probably break away to form PL2.

There is a danger that PL1 is getting like Super League. If it carries on along the same lines, then soon promotion will depend on being be voted in after meeting certain criteria (ground, finances, crowds etc).

I'd love to tell them to shove it before they keep screwing us over. Top flight football really lacks basic values eg winning the FA cup is brilliant and much better than finishing 9th rather than 10th.

Sadly,PL inc. has sold its soul.

Can television really sustain a PL2? Is there the demand? The ITV debacle suggested that there is no hunger/demand and, therefore, no television company will pay for it.

PL1 is proving to be an increasing bore. It's stifling. Who really wants to watch Stoke, Fulham, Wigan and many others (Sunderland) boring the arse of everyone.

It's all about how high you finish and how much money you make. No pride or passion. Soulless crap. Look out they've sucked the life out of the FA cup final.

PL2? More of the same.

What's more likely is a European Super League based on club size/revenue (squeezing out central European teams). Then PL1 and top championship clubs will re-form PL1. The pyramid will stay below that.

Debatable especially considering our cup run that had everyone caught up.

Anyway, as for a PL2, they've been debating it ever since the introduction on the premier league 21 years ago and it's not happened yet. The championship has become a richer league and is basically like a PL 2 really, especially with all the former PL teams knocking around. Some even say The Championship is the 6th best league in Europe - not bad really.

Outside super league the game is dead because of no promotion and relegation the rest are just feeder to clubs to a very poor top level

Well if they want to shoot themselves in then foot then let them but its a different animal. Football outside the pl is far bigger than the whole sport of rugby league. They would be damaging their own product the interest in the premier league nationally andy internationally would diminish significantly audiences would walk away and then audience would go, so to would the tv and sponsorship money.

Haven't followed Rugby League for many years , since traditional clubs like ours , Featherstone , Batley etc were abandoned by the powers that be.

Memories of seeing Oldham , play Wigan , Saints , Castleford and .....Australia , now a distant memory.

Can't see how no promotion would happen in football , but who knows.

No promotion , no playoffs , what earthly reason would there be to go . If the aim is knock out 40 or 50 clubs , then it is a sure fire winner.

As stated the article is only an opinion , one future .....but I doubt many of us would still go , I wouldn't for sure.

Only a new European league with about 18 clubs will satisfy the greed merchants.

Sepptic Blatter would have instigated this years ago because he wants a European elite league.

One major stumbling block , relegation ????

The current format of champions league is as near as they can get it.

However , i wonder how long before they introduce one as a closed shop with no relegation , afterall the yanks do it !!!

They have around £72 million worth of debt... If they resigned from the Premier League they would lose the TV revenue and parachute payments.... Basically they would fold within a week...

I doubt that is going to happen by choice...

Sepptic Blatter would have instigated this years ago because he wants a European elite league.

One major stumbling block , relegation ????

The current format of champions league is as near as they can get it.

However , i wonder how long before they introduce one as a closed shop with no relegation , afterall the yanks do it !!!

The major stumbling block is that the big European clubs don't really want a European League outside of the Champions League.

United, Madrid, Barca, Munich etc, are all happy being top dogs in their own country. Its more lucrative winning/challenging for domestic trophies every year and playing in the Champions League than it would be if they all only played in one European League in which only one of them can win.

What they all want is to make sure the governing bodies always know that them breaking away is an option, so they can use that as leverage to gain more influence, and therefore more money.

If you look at United, since the PL invented football they have won the league at a better rate than every other year. TV revenues increase with every deal, and they get the biggest share of that. And they are in the Champions League every year, so rake in the cash from that. Why would they want that to end?

I just hope all the TV comanies get together and agree to only bid a maximum of 1/4 there current deal, and insist 1/3 of that is filtered down the leagues. The TV companies won't lose out, but the greedy league will.

http://www.mancheste...dfWOEV4.twitter

Shocking if this goes through. This should'nt be allowed to go through. It's a shambles.

Why have a Premier League 2 when Premier league can't compete with europe's best at the moment?

It becuase of idiot fans like you Lee jumping on the bandwagon of City, that smaller clubs like Oldham will suffer.

Edited by oafctom

I just hope all the TV comanies get together and agree to only bid a maximum of 1/4 there current deal, and insist 1/3 of that is filtered down the leagues. The TV companies won't lose out, but the greedy league will.

Or the government intervene and force a set percentage (much higher than at present) down the ladder. 80% should do it.