Formation must change

The team formation during the first half was an absolute disaster, with square peg Simpson looking clueless on the left and Bernard virtually on his own chasing shadows up front and winning nothing.

LJ has continued with the much derided 2 holding midfielders, is it no wonder goals are hard to come by?

At least he changed it in the second half, but the damage had been done.

4-4-2 at home in future please, with only one holding midfielder.

Edited by BP1960

What was dissapointing today was how narrow we were.

We started with a 4-4-1-1 but neither reid or simpson are natrual wingers and kept coming inside. Sometimes wingers do have to come inside to look for the ball but they we needed an out ball which crowded out Baxter and meant we couldn't stretch the play. We missed Lee Croft today he provides that outball for us and allows us to stretch the play. The lack of width contributed to the second goal their was no option on so connor brown pushed forward to try and create the width the ball got intercepted and got placed in the gap where he would have been. I hope Johnsons learnt a few things from today we've got lucky that Scunthorpe got beat but we can't throw away games like that because Carlisle didn't really do much to beat us granted both goals they scored were peaches but apart from that they didn't have to do alot to get the win.

LJ has inherited a bloody shambles of a squad and I just hope he can motivate this lot to keep us up!

Whatever happens we are going to see practically another new team at BP next season cos this lot as a unit are as bad as I've ever seen at the club.

I don't care where Simpson plays as long as it's not here, he thinks he's a good player but in reality he's :censored:e and apart from a decent spell on loan and a cameo goal or two he is one of the reasons we are where we are.....he is a seriously :censored:e footballer who can't even make a 5 yard pass, don't get me started on his attitude as that's even worse!!

Formations count for nothing when players lack the mental toughness required to compete and we have those in abundance....these players can obviously do it on the training pitch but when it comes to a competitive game they are sadly found out!!

This is Dickov's squad and yes, he was a decent bloke, but he's got a bloody lot to answer for!!!

Edited by oafc1955

LJ has inherited a bloody shambles of a squad and I just hope he can motivate this lot to keep us up!

Whatever happens we are going to see practically another new team at BP next season cos this lot as a unit are as bad as I've ever seen at the club.

I don't care where Simpson plays as long as it's not here, he thinks he's a good player but in reality he's :censored:e and apart from a decent spell on loan and a cameo goal or two he is one of the reasons we are where we are.....he is a seriously :censored:e footballer who can't even make a 5 yard pass, don't get me started on his attitude as that's even worse!!

Formations count for nothing when players lack the mental toughness required to compete and we have those in abundance....these players can obviously do it on the training pitch but when it comes to a competitive game they are sadly found out!!

This is Dickov's squad and yes, he was a decent bloke, but he's got a bloody lot to answer for!!!

Despite all that one man isolated up front an no wingers for a home game won't amount to many goals, the starting formation and line up was the managers decision,

In fact the tactics seem totally against what he has been preaching.

Edited by BP1960

The truth of the matter is just like our club captain most of this squad want away from BP and have little to no desire for the club or it's fans. This side has created the :censored:e atmosphere around the place yet I'd wager they'll tell anyone who cares to listen to them that the club and it's fans are :censored:

We are better suited to 352 to be honest. Grounds (or even Mellor) and K smith are more than capable wing backs. Thats give Baxter license to roam Smith and Barnard up front to hopefully provide some threat.

Everytime connor brown got the ball thier manager was screaming at his players to pressure him - he was awful on the ball today well and truly sussed out. ID be happy not to see him again this season (and i have defended him more than once) hes not a bad defender but shocking with the ball at his feet. Part of the reason for us loosing possesion in the build up to the second goal is his complete unwillingness to run into space forward of the ball. He should have been moving into the space instead he stopped waited then tried to go forward but much to late.

Simspon also awful if your going to have a plan to kick to a player all the time - it may as well be someone who can win 90% of his headers ala smith - simspon probably wins 50% not a left winger and was poor again. In the first half he tried getting the ball onto his right foot on the edge of the box only to loose poession - woeful at any level

Edited by bluehobbit

Teams know that we are lightweight and win only a few tackles in midfield or round our own box. They pressure , we lose th ball, and don't have possession for long. And playing with no wingers in first half merely concentrated the area where they needed to press for the ball.

No pace or power in midfield has to be rectified next season. And - please - somebody who might win the ball there in the air. Weslowski Baxter Smith an when he was here Furman don't/can't compete in the air.

LJ got team set up wrong in the first half, was good enough to improve it at HT and can't legislate for three easy missed chances.

It's 42 years since I saw Latics in the bottom division and I don't want to see it again.

What was dissapointing today was how narrow we were.

We started with a 4-4-1-1 but neither reid or simpson are natrual wingers and kept coming inside. Sometimes wingers do have to come inside to look for the ball but they we needed an out ball which crowded out Baxter and meant we couldn't stretch the play. We missed Lee Croft today he provides that outball for us and allows us to stretch the play. The lack of width contributed to the second goal their was no option on so connor brown pushed forward to try and create the width the ball got intercepted and got placed in the gap where he would have been. I hope Johnsons learnt a few things from today we've got lucky that Scunthorpe got beat but we can't throw away games like that because Carlisle didn't really do much to beat us granted both goals they scored were peaches but apart from that they didn't have to do alot to get the win.

it might have seemed as if he started 4-4-1-1 but the players made it look as though it was 4-5-1 and the midfield was being pissed on,ok he changed it half time but by then the damage had been done,if its going to go down to us going down 2 nil then change it then we are :censored:ed

Teams know that we are lightweight and win only a few tackles in midfield or round our own box. They pressure , we lose th ball, and don't have possession for long. And playing with no wingers in first half merely concentrated the area where they needed to press for the ball.

No pace or power in midfield has to be rectified next season. And - please - somebody who might win the ball there in the air. Weslowski Baxter Smith an when he was here Furman don't/can't compete in the air.

LJ got team set up wrong in the first half, was good enough to improve it at HT and can't legislate for three easy missed chances.

It's 42 years since I saw Latics in the bottom division and I don't want to see it again.

I don't know Pete, watching Bobby Johnstone, Bert Lister,Jimmy Frizzell , Alan Williams, Jim Bowie and co was preferable to this tripe,

Edited by BP1960

I just hope LJ isn't a PD clone, a good talker who signed mainly lightweights and let things slide.

Well he's signed two players.

One won the penalty today.

Both made decent contributions.

He's not a PD clone. He's packed with more nouse for starters. We'll see if that can transfer itself to the pitch when he has put his own side together.

Well he's signed two players.

One won the penalty today.

Both made decent contributions.

He's not a PD clone. He's packed with more nouse for starters. We'll see if that can transfer itself to the pitch when he has put his own side together.

Both tip tap lightweights though, a PD trend.

Edited by BP1960

The team formation during the first half was an absolute disaster, with square peg Simpson looking clueless on the left and Bernard virtually on his own chasing shadows up front and winning nothing.

LJ has continued with the much derided 2 holding midfielders, is it no wonder goals are hard to come by?

Spot on pal, Johnson got it wrong big time today it was so utterly abject I've no idea what the formation was supposed to be.

I wasn't at the game today but can't agree about the formation being the big problem.

4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 aren't difficult formations for players to adapt to. To be honest anything else is quite a radical change. 3 at the back could work with the players we have but I'm not convinced that we have players who are wing-back material to make the system work higher up the pitch.

After Bournemouth lots of people were crying out for Baxter to be put back in his original position "in the hole", before that people (me included) we're saying that Baxter wasn't get in the game enough and we could put him alongside a holding midfielder and become a better attacking force. Both formations have worked in stages but failed more often.

I think it's fair to say at this stage in the season that the players performances, not the various formations, have been the issue.

Everytime connor brown got the ball thier manager was screaming at his players to pressure him - he was awful on the ball today well and truly sussed out. ID be happy not to see him again this season (and i have defended him more than once) hes not a bad defender but shocking with the ball at his feet. Part of the reason for us loosing possesion in the build up to the second goal is his complete unwillingness to run into space forward of the ball. He should have been moving into the space instead he stopped waited then tried to go forward but much to late.

to be fair to Brown, all of their attack was concentrated against him and he didn't have the help of Croft that he'd normally have. I think Johnson should have swapped Simpson and Reid to protect Brown.

He's a promising player, but Carlisle targeted him and he never stood a chance today. Right decision to bring him off, but not because he was having a bad game.

I wasn't at the game today but can't agree about the formation being the big problem.

4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 aren't difficult formations for players to adapt to. To be honest anything else is quite a radical change. 3 at the back could work with the players we have but I'm not convinced that we have players who are wing-back material to make the system work higher up the pitch.

After Bournemouth lots of people were crying out for Baxter to be put back in his original position "in the hole", before that people (me included) we're saying that Baxter wasn't get in the game enough and we could put him alongside a holding midfielder and become a better attacking force. Both formations have worked in stages but failed more often.

I think it's fair to say at this stage in the season that the players performances, not the various formations, have been the issue.

It says it all when the manager changed it to 4-4-2 in the second half, with Matt Smith (and surprisingly) Millar up front, these two made a massive difference in pressurising the Carlisle defence, something an isolated Bernard was unable to do in the first half.

Incidentally, Millar was excellent in his new forward role and I credit the manager in bringing the best out of him, the best partner for Smith we have seen this season.

Edited by BP1960

Too many high balls into millar though, he had no chance to win any of them, play it on the deck to him and give the lad a fighting chance.

Agreed, at least he was up for a battle, but how often have we seen effective substitutes not make the starting 11 for the next match, managers preferring instead to give the original team another chance.