Are we done for?

Just come back. Strange sort of game. Started at 100 mph, hassled, won back possessions, with some dangerous balls into the box, Red and Croft linking well. Their keeper made a couple of fine saves. How Grounds missed the sitter at the start of 2nd half nobody knows. Then a very unlucky hand ball. We chased the game without much quality admittedly, and the second goal was a gamble that didn't pay off. The players looked shattered at the end, and a good many tics stayed behind to clap their efforts. It should have been 0-0.

The Grounds effort was offside anyway, thought we played well 1st half, they seemed intent on getting big jean sent off, 2nd half we did not seem to get going, the handball could easily have been ignored as in this league penaltys dont seem to get given for that, if we do not win Saturday I would say we are down.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know strong players weren't available ?....if lightweights are all the manager can bring in then he needs better connections.

I don't know but I cannot see how a player of decent quality and a reliable pedigree would come to a League One team, struggling to stay in the division, at the sh*t end of the season. Also, I cannot judge the extent of the connections that Johnson has. Latics are in a surreal situation with the manager because of the circumstances under which he has joined the club. We will know better, one way or another, next season..whatever league Latics are in.

I'll gladly accept survival but it certainly won't be party time - simply relief at dodging a bullet. For what it's worth I think we're going down - I've thought that all season and seen very little to change my mind.

Edited by oafcprozac

I think we will stay up. The bury game for both us and scunny is the crucial one. Whoever gets more points I think will survive. They are worse than us they lost 3-0 Preston. I can't see them winning any of their remaining games other than bury.

I have a nasty fear that Scunthorpe will beat Walsall saturday and we are far from a cert to beat Bury.

The problem is the players wont need to take a long hard look at themselves as many will never wear an OAFC :censored:y again after Leyton Orient away game. I hope the club will have learnt a lesson to tie players down to the club longer for commitment reason and develop the youth more and more.

Got slatted on here at the start of the season when I said we will be lucky to stay up and really wanted to be proved wrong, we can say back the club all we want as fans and I can accept players who arent good enough as long as they play for the shirt which some of these lot I dont think do. I will never boo our players but the scenes at Orient away if we go down could be nasty.

In response to the original question, I think we might just stay up but only as Scunny are worse and that is saying a lot and a horrible and frankly embrassing from this set of players that we are relying on 4 worse teams.

I will get slatted again and maybe mad but I just wonder if Baxter out on Saturday maybe a blessing in disguise as others will have to try and take responsibility and step up to the plate and LJ (who is not to blame in this) may play 2 genuine out and out forwards and help get us further up the pitch and take our chances

The answer to this question will be a hell of a lot clearer come 5pm Saturday

..............and the lions share of this playing bunch will be out of our club - and LJ can rip it up and start again.

I bet he can't wait you know.

A new manager should bring around a turnaround in spirit and desire from the players. They haven't and I think that says alot about them.

If there's one thing to learn from a disastrous season, it's that you need some experienced and strong minded players in the side. Man U may win with kids but their kids were brought up in the United way, not begged, borrowed or stolen from some second rate club's reserves and chucked together. I pity Grounds, he's not had a stable partnership with a serious player in front of him all season.