• David Eyres
    • Chris Taylor
    • David Beresford
    • Gunnar Halle
    • Paul Reid
    • Mark Brennan
    • Andy Liddell
    • Lee Croft

Rick Holden and Neil Adams are my 2 first latics heroes (along with Jobbo)

Gotta pick them.

Special mention for Eyresy though. At the age he played at, the work rate and class were amazing

Edited by pukka

Jesus this is hard.

I never saw Groves but wish I had from what I've heard and read over the years so he's in.

And Holden

Sadly there's no video footage of Alan Groves on his mesmerising runs, I understand Granada TV filmed highlights of when he took the then current England full back Phil Neal apart in the F.A Cup at Anfield in 1977, but that seems lost.

It's said he was on the verge of being called up for England, but the vote went to Peter Thompson, who was a brilliant winger himself.

I met him once, and contrary to his extrovert appearance I found him to be a real humble guy.

http://bleacherrepor...-that-never-was

Edited by BP1960

Groves and Holden for me. If we had wide midfielders like those two, the strikers would have sore heads from consistently nodding in their crosses.

Just loved Grovesy. For those that never saw him, once he knew he had a full back on the ropes, he could really take the piss by beating him once, then waiting for him to recover so he could do it again. Such a loss to football at only 28 years of age.

As for Tricky Ricky, the way he could whip a cross in round the defender before beating him was pure magic.

Well done for this prozac, but I'm confused that the thread is "Right Sided", but the poll is "Wide". Maybe it's me.

Edited by Bristolatic

When someone asked me to describe who is the most "latics" style player. A hard working tricky winger is what I say. Croft is a typical latics fans favourite. Probably why he won POTS only having half a good season.

Edited by pukka

Groves and Holden, both of em loved taking the piss.

Both great off field as well, my dad took me to Groves and Les Chapmans garage in Oldham, I'd be about 7 they talked to me for ages. Lucky enough to be in the sponsor's box at latics, when Holden came in and ordered himself two pints of bitter, the match had finished about 5 minutes before! his hair was still pissed wet through, I asked him if there was a players bar and he said you had to pay for drinks in there!

Character

Joe Colbeck!

Unfair to compare Josh Low and Joe Colbeck.

Although, Low shouldn't be included because he only played a season here, he was a cracking player in that season - that was just a great team.

Often say it, best Latics team i've seen in the 13 years i've watched the club.

Rick Holden by a country mile, the greatest winger to grace both plastic and the grass of BP! Along with Gunnar who also tormented quite a few full backs, remember watching him tear England apart in Oslo. Me, my Dad and Grandad were that fed up with England, we ended up cheering for Gunnar.