Dickov - Why I had to leave Oldham

http://www.doncaster...878/index.shtml

Makes for interesting reading.

Unsurprisingly he doesn't mention the run of 1 point in 9 league games, half of which he had his full back-room team for.

If he does a good job at Donny I'd be surprised. But it is probably in our interests that he doesn't

Edited by rudemedic

'“On a financial footing and player wise they are in a much better position than when I went in. That’s what I want to do here.”

He wants to recreate his work at Latics at Doncaster? If I was on the Doncaster board I'd sack him immediately after that.

He's :censored:ing annoying me moaning about his staff being taken away from him. The first two seasons his poor tactics led us to two bad finishes and being not far off the relegation zone. And he kept that up in the third season, when he still had staff, leading us to poor results. He's using losing his staff as an excuse (like the countless excuses he made after yet another loss) and for me i am incredibly happy to see the back of him!

'“On a financial footing and player wise they are in a much better position than when I went in. That’s what I want to do here.”

He wants to recreate his work at Latics at Doncaster? If I was on the Doncaster board I'd sack him immediately after that.

Didn't we have players like Dale Stephens, Chris Taylor on the books when he came in?

Paul Dickov has spent the last week getting his feet under the table at the Keepmoat Stadium - probably with a huge grin on his face.[/Quote]

I would think he looks like a Cheshire Cat. How he landed a job at a higher level is beyond me. Good bloke. Hard worker. :censored: manager.

At Doncaster Dickov will work under stricter budgetary constraints then the majority of his Championship counterparts.

But the club’s firm infra-structure has allowed him to quickly hit the ground running in identifying the players he needs for the step up to the second tier - and that in itself is a result for Dickov.[/Quote]

PD is very good at identifying players. Lots of players. Getting them to deliver on the pitch is another thing.

“Doncaster is a stable club and that’s something I’ve been striving for in my management career,” said Dickov.

“It’s fantastic to have that basis to be able to manage the football club the way I want to.

“I had my staff taken away from me at Oldham and I had no scouting network.[/Quote]

I think it's clear that Corney fired the backroom staff with an objective of getting Dickov to quit. While the scouting network comment raises an eyebrow the man was able to sign dozens of players in a little over two years.

“I’m a proud guy. The fact that I couldn’t actually carry out what I wanted to carry out meant I had to have a sit down with Simon [Corney - the chairman].

“We came to the conclusion it was probably best that I resigned and got myself ready for the next challenge, which is here.

“There’s a consensus out there that it didn’t end right for me at Oldham but from my point of view it did,” he added.

“The two and half years I had there were fantastic for me, but it got to the point where I couldn’t do my job.

“It has made me a much better manager though.

“On a financial footing and player wise they are in a much better position than when I went in.

“That’s what I want to do here.”

Dickov has spent the last four months wisely and his thirst for knowledge continued into this week, attending yet another course.

“I’ve been humbled by the amount of support I’ve had from other managers,”[/Quote]

Paul, you didn't have "it". Or the ability to develop yourself towards "it". More money and different backroom may mask the fact for a time. But I think you'll be found out within a year.

Good luck though.

Edited by opinions4u

I know that he would obviously put a positive gloss on things, but that article has more spin than the Love Child of a Tony Blair, Alistair Campbell and Shane Warne threesome.

History has proved Simon Corney right.

I would think he looks like a Cheshire Cat. How he landed a job at a higher level is beyond me. Good bloke. Hard worker. :censored: manager.

PD is very good at identifying players. Lots of players. Getting them to deliver on the pitch is another thing.

I think it's clear that Corney fired the backroom staff with an objective of getting Dickov to quit. While the scouting network comment raises an eyebrow the man was able to sign dozens of players in a little over two years.

Good point about the Scouting network.

Tough I seem to recall that one of Dickov's selling points was his extensive contact list, which he has now presumably exhausted, and has no favours to call in.

So what I think he is saying, is if he does not get good players in, it is because he lost his scouting network because of Oldham...!

Edited by singe

http://www.doncaster...878/index.shtml

Makes for interesting reading.

that's ever such a load of bollocks...

he'd have been gone a lot quicker if his staff had stayed, he must starting to believe the media view that it was unfair to sack Taggart, Butler and Dux.

like others though, wish him well and hope he does a job there.

He is lucky they went first, he got some more time. More than his record deserved.

It was not just the 1 win in 9, it was over about 60 games before it then. If you take up to his first transfer window off, his record was atrocious.

.............................................................................G...W...D...L..Win %

Oldham Athletic 9 June 2010 3 February 2013 141..43..37..61..30.5%

After Jan 2010

Oldham Athletic 9 June 2010 3 February 2013 109..32..25..52..29.4%

Edited by singe

We all know that Dickov has a gift for talking the talk. I'm not sure what people expect him to say. Yes, he was as good as sacked; we know that and he knows that, but he's hardly likely to advertise it.

I actually agree that the quality of the player on the books when he left was an improvement on when he took over but what's he's not saying is that he couldn't turn that into results.

He must be chuffed to bits to have ended up where he has and I wish him luck - I still think he's a decent bloke. But, I still can't help but think a media career beckons for him in the longer term.

If it hurt his pride so much having his staff taken away, why did it take him over a month to leave? There is a reason you had your staff taken away Paul, they were nearly as useless as you!

Lets see if he appoints his precious staff at Doncaster!!