Spanish Marc?

You serious? Most of the squad couldnt keep going for 90 mins stamina was a real issue from start of season. Basic fitness not great. Mellor and Winchester should be able to run all day at age. Lot carrying to much blubber for athletes early season. Regime was casual at best. Several comments from players re improved fitness late on.

Professional players should know themselves what they have to do conditioning wise, blaming coaches is a cop out.

Would say a lack of mobility/pace in squad was the core issue, didn't look at any of them and think, god he's really out of shape or whatever.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're in a different mould though Lags. Wellens was a complete midfielder really, he could do it all - tackle, dictate games and also score.

Spanish Marc was very much a continental DCM - who broke up play and brought others into the game with giving it simple.

Wellens everyday obviously; but Marc was a classy player in what he did. I think he could be a real success in the Championship...

Fair points. See what happens next season. It's hard to judge players in pre season friendlies sometimes

I think they're in a different mould though Lags. Wellens was a complete midfielder really, he could do it all - tackle, dictate games and also score.

iirc this was the one thing I thought that Wellens didn't do that regularly, which is why playing him and Gary Mac in centre-mid worked so well early in Shez's reign. Gary Mac broke from midfield and scored a fair few from in and around the box while Wellens sat deep and did...well, pretty much everything else!

Professional players should know themselves what they have to do conditioning wise

This bit I agree with.

blaming coaches is a cop out.

So wtf did we employ a fitness coach for?

Who holds the players to account if they don't look after themselves?

Would say a lack of mobility/pace in squad was the core issue, didn't look at any of them and think, god he's really out of shape or whatever.

Once we got o 70 minutes we were fooked. Week after week.

All fair points, vibe with Butler seemed to be that players thought he was out of his depth and a bit of a laughing stock.

Lines about his role certainly seemed to become blurred in the end too.

Still think overall though that professional pride, as an individual and as a group, should rank above all that.

Re: Fitness apart from the cup games the only game all season we saw a full 90 minutes of taking the game to the opposition by being in their faces was the Yeovil game.

Usually under Dickov We started slow usually had a bit of a huff and puff between 30-65 minutes and that was usually it before tailing off. I've never known us score so few goals and create so few chances in home games.

I find it ridiculous he's continued his experiment with Butler at Donny, it failed miserably here

Regularly conceded late goals.

Regularly led half-time leads slip.

Seemingly incapable of mounting a late challenge in matches for the most part.

Regularly made silly mistakes - physical tiredness breeds mental tiredness.

Totally unfit last season.

One of many examples: Brentford at home, even in the first half. They constantly had more runners going forward and more running back. From a simple header away at a corner, they frequently had four on three or five on four sprinting clear into our half. Their pace was frightening - we made them look like a team of Usain Bolts.

We were only in the game when we kept numbers back to compensate (for not being able to get up and down) and played it more direct to Smith.

Tempted to treat that Yeovil game with caution - we played pretty well but they could have been done under the non-triers rule...

IIRC if Yeovil had won that game and then their remaining 2 games they would have gone up automatically and probably as Champions. They were trying we were just better

Professional players should know themselves what they have to do conditioning wise, blaming coaches is a cop out.

I would argue that almost all professional players are more than capable of being fit enough to play a game of football. It is the coaches that are there to take them to the next level to be able to really compete against other teams doing the same. I've never played for a team at amateur level even where the players are in charge of the fitness regime.

I don't disagree on your second point, I think a big issue last season was the lack of pace. You go through the squad and on paper the first 11 were pretty decent but as a unit they were poor and very predictable.

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

• 1 month later...

I know plenty within the club were very underwhelmed by clipboard. From horses mouths.

The best thing about Butler going to Donny is that he has gone as First team coach, not a fitness coach. The guy had no football background what so ever before he joined us.

Thank Simon that in Dickov we no longer have to trust.

PD is quotedm when he signed Marc:

" and we were told that we could get him in on a free, but there was a training compensation that was going to be around £600,000-£700,000, which showed how much they valued him."

I am not sure that is factually correct. IIRC it was the under 24 rule, surely?.

If RM were asking for 600/700k then that is a transfer fee, or a compo. It was not a transfer fee.

PD is quotedm when he signed Marc:

" and we were told that we could get him in on a free, but there was a training compensation that was going to be around £600,000-£700,000, which showed how much they valued him."

I am not sure that is factually correct. IIRC it was the under 24 rule, surely?.

If RM were asking for 600/700k then that is a transfer fee, or a compo. It was not a transfer fee.

I think Dickov multiplied his number significantly. Fairly sure it was £200k tops.

People seem to be really glad that Dickov has gone so can we let him just go please!

I seem to be reading more about Donny than Latics on here recently with reports of injuries and who they have training with them, Who gives a flying f#*k! unless we are changing the board name to Oh When The Bastard Rovers can we just leave them too it please?

People seem to be really glad that Dickov has gone so can we let him just go please!

I seem to be reading more about Donny than Latics on here recently with reports of injuries and who they have training with them, Who gives a flying f#*k! unless we are changing the board name to Oh When The Bastard Rovers can we just leave them too it please?

Stories crop up linking the Latics manager of the last three seasons with Ex Latics players, staff, trialists.

Latics fans discuss it on Internet messageboard.

I don't get what you don't get.

Edited by HarryBosch

Stories crop up linking the Latics manager of the last three seasons with Ex Latics players, staff, trialists.

Latics fans discuss it on Internet messageboard.

I don't get what you don't get.

I get it but why do you care?

Every bit of Donny news is being posted here it seems? I'm sure there is a whole message board like this dedicated to them if you all want to talk the and outs of their pre season but to have probably 3 or 4 threads about them on the first pages of this board just seems anbit much for someone most wanted gone imo

I get it but why do you care?

Every bit of Donny news is being posted here it seems? I'm sure there is a whole message board like this dedicated to them if you all want to talk the and outs of their pre season but to have probably 3 or 4 threads about them on the first pages of this board just seems anbit much for someone most wanted gone imo

You're under no obligation to read it, y'know.