Manager Led Improvements

I think LJ is the start of a new breed of English managers. Gone are the days of 4 4 ffing 2 and get rid of the ball ASAP. From what I see are young footballers comfortable on the ball who want to play the right way. I'd say they're a few teams far stronger than us in this league, but with the manager factor alongside the surprise factor, considering many are tipping us for relegation I reckon we might surprise a few and sneak top 10, maybe an outside bet for play offs. Dickov might have been a young manager as well but he was far from revolutionary.

Reading the Accrington Stanley forum was a good insight as it seemed they too were mightly impressed with what they saw from our young team. My only concern is the defence and Mellor playing centre back but I see what LJ is doing there trying to get a ball playing centre back, if they can work on Mellor's positioning then we may just get away with it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person who believes we have a great chance this season - the bookies certainly don't!

Not only did LJ keep us up comfortably last season, but he had even done his homework before being appointed and seen our shortcomings - things we were all talking about in the stands every week, but things Dickov was doing nothing about.

Unfit, no pace, no creativity, Crofty overweight etc etc etc.

LJ has addressed all these failings and then some, with his own signings, and in my opinion, some crackers.

Its like going back 20 years. We will be playing with pace on the break, and have a proven centre forward who knows where the net is!

I can't believe he managed to convince Korey Smith to come back, and JCH does look raw but also exciting.

Yes, I do have reservations about our back four, but hey, going forward, I think we could be as good as most, if not all teams in this division.

LJ has done everything correct so far, and for that reason alone should not be doubted - not until a crisis looms, but I also believe from what I have seen of him so far, he will have the no how to get us out of it also.

I for one, cannot wait till next week, but how many times have us Latics fans said that over the last 20 years!!

Am I the only person who believes we have a great chance this season - the bookies certainly don't!

Not only did LJ keep us up comfortably last season, but he had even done his homework before being appointed and seen our shortcomings - things we were all talking about in the stands every week, but things Dickov was doing nothing about.

LJ has addressed all these failings and then some, with his own signings, and in my opinion, some crackers.

Its like going back 20 years. We will be playing with pace on the break, and have a proven centre forward who knows where the net is!

I can't believe he managed to convince Korey Smith to come back, and JCH does look raw but also exciting.

Yes, I do have reservations about our back four, but hey, going forward, I think we could be as good as most, if not all teams in this division.

LJ has done everything correct so far, and for that reason alone should not be doubted - not until a crisis looms, but I also believe from what I have seen of him so far, he will have the no how to get us out of it also.

I for one, cannot wait till next week, but how many times have us Latics fans said that over the last 20 years!!

Nope - plenty on here have got carried away and have talked of playoffs / promotion.

As I've said before, this season is about progression from what has gone before, and building under a new man. Lower Mid Table should be realistic and achievable with hard work.

Sly, I know what you're saying and I do agree with you.

But I can't help thinking the players we have are better than mid table - Jose, Korey Smith, Dayton, Charlie Mac, JCH and hopefully Rooney.

Sly, I know what you're saying and I do agree with you.

But I can't help thinking the players we have are better than mid table - Jose, Korey Smith, Dayton, Charlie Mac, JCH and hopefully Rooney.

I get your reason's for being optimistic but, I do notice you haven't included Byrne, Tarky, Brown, Mellor, Oxley et all in that list of players.

Defensively we're weaker....and that makes my Lower Mid prediction realistic I think...

Nope - plenty on here have got carried away and have talked of playoffs / promotion.

As I've said before, this season is about progression from what has gone before, and building under a new man. Lower Mid Table should be realistic and achievable with hard work.

Don't be running the team down now. :wink:

About 20!! (bold)

I am airing towards mid table purely on my mis-givings of the back line. This possibly will be rectified with a cracking CB joining on loan next week as per LJ's LW interview after the Accy away game. However.........it still leaves us short should/once injuries and suspensions kick in.

This as got to be tempered with the fact I believe the midfield and attack are far far better than last season. Pace and power of Jonno, Pace on either flank with benched wide players with pace also. Power and guile of Rooney and the know how of Charlie. Allied to skill of Jose who will bag 20 if also the pen taker. Korey/Wes/Mellor/Rodgers powering the midfield.

Remember most are on 2 year deals and the following season I believe we'll be right up there.

I am still sceptical, altough LJ did turn a lost team into one that stayed up, but he has lost more than half a team. Even Fergie would not be able to get them to all gel in a few weeks.

This is about where I am at the moment. The success player stories from when Johnson took over last season (Croft, M'Voto and Smith) have all gone and it's looking likely that the superb Mellor/Smith midfield partnership, which he instigated, will be dispersed before it's even had a chance to continue performing well. Admittedly the reasons for last season's team breaking up are probably beyond his control, but he has to be judged on how he does from now. I think we've certainly improved in attack with the signings he's made and it would be great if we could get some of the youngsters playing regularly, but the fact is we've got a massive hole defensively that hasn't been filled.

Completely gets my backing, but experience should tell us to beware of false dawns.

I get your reason's for being optimistic but, I do notice you haven't included Byrne, Tarky, Brown, Mellor, Oxley et all in that list of players.

Defensively we're weaker....and that makes my Lower Mid prediction realistic I think...

Last season we were quite good defensively - and finished 19th. Just.

A good attack gets you more points than a good defence & you can defend from the front.

The main thrust of the question is - are we a club that causes players to stagnate? No we are not! The coaching staff do that with the manager taking full responsibility for the type of tactics, coaching and fitness regime employed.

Most coaches would have only started thinking of coaching as they neared retirement. They need a job and without any particular vocation, drop into a managerial career. That is why many of them are crap at it, long term.

Then we have the owners. They all know how to make millions at something but very rarely, if at all, has it anything to do with football. Unless they are a fan, very rare, they are in it for something and it is not usually for the love of the club they have just parachuted into. These people then have to hire a manager to run a business they themselves know nothing about. It is little wonder that so many clubs are in dire straights.

This now brings us to Lee Johnson. He has wanted to be a football manager since his preteens. He has spent the intervening years talking shop with an above average manager on a daily basis. He achieved his first 2 coaching badges before the age of 31 and had started his Pro-License before he got the job. On applying for the job he then watched us 7 times and arrived at interview with a list of our faults and how he would go about rectifying them, (something he went on to do short term). He provided a list of around 200 players who would be out of contract this summer. He suggested to Corney that he sign Korey Smith.

Lee Johnson is nothing like Paul Dickov nor anyone else that I can recall. Will he be any good - results wise - definitely remains to be seen but I am looking forward to being entertained and a top half finish. I will worry about the negatives when they are effecting our league position, because sure as hell LJ has his own agenda and he will change it accordingly.

The main thrust of the question is - are we a club that causes players to stagnate? No we are not! The coaching staff do that with the manager taking full responsibility for the type of tactics, coaching and fitness regime employed.

Most coaches would have only started thinking of coaching as they neared retirement. They need a job and without any particular vocation, drop into a managerial career. That is why many of them are crap at it, long term.

Then we have the owners. They all know how to make millions at something but very rarely, if at all, has it anything to do with football. Unless they are a fan, very rare, they are in it for something and it is not usually for the love of the club they have just parachuted into. These people then have to hire a manager to run a business they themselves know nothing about. It is little wonder that so many clubs are in dire straights.

This now brings us to Lee Johnson. He has wanted to be a football manager since his preteens. He has spent the intervening years talking shop with an above average manager on a daily basis. He achieved his first 2 coaching badges before the age of 31 and had started his Pro-License before he got the job. On applying for the job he then watched us 7 times and arrived at interview with a list of our faults and how he would go about rectifying them, (something he went on to do short term). He provided a list of around 200 players who would be out of contract this summer. He suggested to Corney that he sign Korey Smith.

Lee Johnson is nothing like Paul Dickov nor anyone else that I can recall. Will he be any good - results wise - definitely remains to be seen but I am looking forward to being entertained and a top half finish. I will worry about the negatives when they are effecting our league position, because sure as hell LJ has his own agenda and he will change it accordingly.

This^

Only time and results/ performances will tell what impact the current management set up will have on the players but I'd say I'm optimistic about the long term outcome with some reasoning behind it. Beyond the usual promising glimpses from new recruits, enthusiasm & the positive vibes coming out from the club, I'm looking more at the attention to detail being displayed in how the coaching system is set up. As an example, we're now videoing reserve games and training sessions so that they can be analysed; coaching targeted & improvements carried out. Simple & cheap to do and yet it demonstrates a professional, planned approach which I quite prefer.

But if you put the ball in the net more times than the opposition, you will win the game

But if you put the ball in the net more times than the opposition, you will win the game

Yep. True fact that.

I'm not doubting i think we're better set from a midfield and striker POV, i think we are.

I dont think anyone can reasonably claim the same for the defence though?

I'm just trying to gather in my optimism - i've supported this club long enough to know that it's the hope that get's you (!) - i'm looking forward to this season more than i have in years & years, but - IMO, talk of playoffs and promotion is way premature and way wide of the mark.

More than happy come April time to revisit this thread and eat humble pie, but i just feel we need to be realistic and for me, lower mid table is just that.

Returning to the title of the thread,Why would the manager get involved with light emitting diodes???

Money saving on behalf of Mr Corney, whilst creating a soothing and relaxing environment in the players lounge and changing rooms. The Away team get naked fluorescents with old chokes that smell fishy when burnt out.

I'm with Sly on this one

I appreciate everyone is optimistic but some of the clichés about Johnson such as "He won't stand for that" or "Dickov had no plan b and Johnson has got one" have been said before about the majority of managers.

It wouldn't surprise me if we started the season well if we were to tie down Rooney and add a powerful centre half we could be right up there around Christmas. But still even with those additions I still feel we will be a couple of players light from making an impact in March, April time, Our best season in this division came under Iain Dowie it’s not a coincidence that he had the biggest squad that any Latics manager has had at this level. So I'm going to say mid table where I think we will finish I'm happy to be fed humble pie in May 2014 if proved wrong.

Lets also not forget as well last season’s failing didn't all lie at the feet of Paul Dickov, as manager he does take a good chunk of the blame and the time was right for him to go, but some of the players weren't performing to the best of their abilities. In the same way sense any success or failure this season won't be solely down to Lee Johnson it will be a collective effort. He's got to build the team with the restrictions of the budget, coach them during the week and send them out prepared, but they have to deliver themselves once out on the pitch.

Yep. True fact that.

I'm not doubting i think we're better set from a midfield and striker POV, i think we are.

I dont think anyone can reasonably claim the same for the defence though?

I'm just trying to gather in my optimism - i've supported this club long enough to know that it's the hope that get's you (!) - i'm looking forward to this season more than i have in years & years, but - IMO, talk of playoffs and promotion is way premature and way wide of the mark.

More than happy come April time to revisit this thread and eat humble pie, but i just feel we need to be realistic and for me, lower mid table is just that.

I'm with Sly on this one

I appreciate everyone is optimistic but some of the clichés about Johnson such as "He won't stand for that" or "Dickov had no plan b and Johnson has got one" have been said before about the majority of managers.

It wouldn't surprise me if we started the season well if we were to tie down Rooney and add a powerful centre half we could be right up there around Christmas. But still even with those additions I still feel we will be a couple of players light from making an impact in March, April time, Our best season in this division came under Iain Dowie it’s not a coincidence that he had the biggest squad that any Latics manager has had at this level. So I'm going to say mid table where I think we will finish I'm happy to be fed humble pie in May 2014 if proved wrong.

Lets also not forget as well last season’s failing didn't all lie at the feet of Paul Dickov, as manager he does take a good chunk of the blame and the time was right for him to go, but some of the players weren't performing to the best of their abilities. In the same way sense any success or failure this season won't be solely down to Lee Johnson it will be a collective effort. He's got to build the team with the restrictions of the budget, coach them during the week and send them out prepared, but they have to deliver themselves once out on the pitch.

These to posts every day of the week.

Stands to reason that all the players will not suddenly become worldies.

Too early to say if LJ deserves the time PD got, where we are will determine that.

A few won't work out, hopefully LJ will do the right things to get himself plenty of time, and not be a one trick pony like Dickov.

I still feel we will be a couple of players light from making an impact in March, April time, Our best season in this division came under Iain Dowie it’s not a coincidence that he had the biggest squad that any Latics manager has had at this level. So I'm going to say mid table where I think we will finish I'm happy to be fed humble pie in May 2014 if proved wrong.

In and around mid-table (and not scrambling around for the odd point here and there over last few games) would be the good result I'm looking for and justification of the managerial team's approach as it would represent healthy progress. If that's allied to better displays with more entertainment, then I'd be very happy with that.

My main concern is that we have so many moaners than cheerers at BP and if we have a group of youngsters playing nice passing football, as soon as one goes wayward the moaners will moan. Then moan again and again - then get on their backs - and the youngsters confidence will be shot. LJ has brought a refreshing new philosophy to Owdum and it may take the fans a while to get used to us playing free flowing short passing footy - and in my experience our lot don't particular do patience very well. I am optimistic that we will comfortably stay up - anything more would be a welcome bonus. Just hope the moaners DO give the lads a chance.