Latics 3-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

It was the linesman who gave it

From the RRE it looked like it was never a penalty but from where the lino was I don't think he had any option, it would have looked stonewall to him. The ref needed to be better placed to get a proper view. Whilst I'm pleased they didn't score and it was turning point I think it was more that Hughes hit it as his legs than actually being saved.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through articles written, vids uploaded and inane unfunny banter probably I've contributed a lot to this site over the years.

:censored: it its no longer worth it when one if the top knobs sees fit to constantly have cheap digs.

I could get into a big :censored:ing row about it but :censored: it what's the point.

Ciao guys its mostly been fun but that's me done for good on here.

Through articles written, vids uploaded and inane unfunny banter probably I've contributed a lot to this site over the years.

:censored: it its no longer worth it when one if the top knobs sees fit to constantly have cheap digs.

I could get into a big :censored:ing row about it but :censored: it what's the point.

:petesake:

Most enjoyable game I've been to for a long, long, time. Quality right throughout the side. I actually saw 3 goals!!

Special mention for Rooney; I called for him to be dropped mid week. His performance today was awesome. Strong, held it up well, great first touch, an two goals! Fair play.

Really pleased he dropped Baxter. Just to give him that reminder that you need to perform to stay in the side. Big kudos to Johnson for having the balls to do it. Genuinly think Baxter will better for it.

don't let um drive you away brother.

Lighten the :censored: up will you all! Tis a bit of fun..

The penalty got what it deserved because Hughes dived and the ref was right not to give it and stupid to then change his mind when the lino further away and with a worse view gave it. The penalty was saved - it didn't just hit his legs!

Montano flattered to deceive missing two easy chances and is hopeless with his back to the goal anywhere on the pitch. Those of you who think Wes put in a good performance are deluded. He can't pass the ball. Useful as a spoiler away from home but so many moves break down or fail to start with his lack of skill. Mills was poor until the second half.

Rooney (Rooney, Rooney) gave us a glimpse of how good he will be for us - outstanding signing by LJ. JCH was understandably reluctant to put himself about at first but grew in confidence and just made you wonder how good he could be - another outstanding signing by LJ. Dayton is small but kept at it and what a goal, keeper had no chance - another outstanding signing by LJ. Connor will have learnt a lot about himself and being a right back - great prospect. Tarky was magnificent. Grounds seems to concentrate better at CB and had a very good game. Ox possibly should have saved their goal but made one of ours and saved the penalty. Corey Smith is class - need I say it but another outstanding signing by LJ. Montano as above. MIlls after a great performance at Peterborough took his time to get into the game - verdict open. Wes has lost something and is not the player he was and is not a good passer of the ball.

Baxter wonderful cameo but by that time Port Vale had given up.

Conclusion: I predicted a 3 1 win, pity I don't bet, and enjoyed what I saw. This is a developing team with a number of class players - it will only get better but give it time. Lee Johnson is the man. In LJ I trust - told you all so!

The penalty got what it deserved because Hughes dived and the ref was right not to give it and stupid to then change his mind when the lino further away and with a worse view gave it. The penalty was saved - it didn't just hit his legs!

Montano flattered to deceive missing two easy chances and is hopeless with his back to the goal anywhere on the pitch. Those of you who think Wes put in a good performance are deluded. He can't pass the ball. Useful as a spoiler away from home but so many moves break down or fail to start with his lack of skill. Mills was poor until the second half.

Rooney (Rooney, Rooney) gave us a glimpse of how good he will be for us - outstanding signing by LJ. JCH was understandably reluctant to put himself about at first but grew in confidence and just made you wonder how good he could be - another outstanding signing by LJ. Dayton is small but kept at it and what a goal, keeper had no chance - another outstanding signing by LJ. Connor will have learnt a lot about himself and being a right back - great prospect. Tarky was magnificent. Grounds seems to concentrate better at CB and had a very good game. Ox possibly should have saved their goal but made one of ours and saved the penalty. Corey Smith is class - need I say it but another outstanding signing by LJ. Montano as above. MIlls after a great performance at Peterborough took his time to get into the game - verdict open. Wes has lost something and is not the player he was and is not a good passer of the ball.

Baxter wonderful cameo but by that time Port Vale had given up.

Conclusion: I predicted a 3 1 win, pity I don't bet, and enjoyed what I saw. This is a developing team with a number of class players - it will only get better but give it time. Lee Johnson is the man. In LJ I trust - told you all so!

thought Wes was excellent today. think rooney is a poacher as both of his goals were of that kind. montano is clearly a confidence player.

Somehow I doubt it

Shame that you feel the need to go. we will miss your reports from the meetings with LJ as well as your other comments on all things Latics. KTF and good luck. Takes a lot of bottle to cut the thread.

As good as he is, I really don't think you can change the 11 that got us into that winning position unless it's an enforced change which is a possibility at RB depending on how serious Brown's injury is.

Start with the same 11 if possible next week and then see how the game pans out! Think we could batter Trannies next week....or get beat 1-0, never know with Latics!

Don't agree with all you state but then it would be boring ;) however just to let you know one of our ex-centre halves agreed(at ht admittedly) that Grounds and Tarky were our best players upto half time. Hard to disagree from my view though I thought weso and Rooney were quality today. Connor looks twice the player of last season as well ;)

Thought we started slowly, and for the first few minutes I thought 'here we go again', we needed to up the ante. Wes and Korey gradually gained control in the middle, we brought our excellent wingers into the game and bit by bit JCH worked his way into the game and we began to dominate. First a disappointing flick from Adam, then a cracking turn and snapshot which forced a great one-handed save from the keeper and finally a quality ball in to Adam and a great stooping header which reminded me of Stitch in his pomp. Port Vale continued to look dangerous though. Hughes clashed with Connor who enquired as to 'who the :censored: did he think he was'. Hughes retort was to point to the back of his shirt. Shortly after Hughes put in his Oscar nomination early by throwing himself to the ground, Connor got booked. Job done he thought, smirking away. 4th Official decided he needed booking as well, the ref agreed Hughes was pretty pissed off at his plan back-firing.

Monty missed out with a good effort, before Vale equalised on the break. Ox who had looked shaky around his area went for a worldy two handed parry, he missed it completely and we were level. We lost the plot for 10 minutes or so after that and Vale looked like they would seize the initiative further. Especially when a well-timed tackle from Grounds saw Hughes go to Ground, the ref looked to give the corner - the lino awarded a Pen. I couldn't watch but knew Hughes had missed enough spot-kicks for us to know we had half a chance here. Ox saved apparently, justice done.

Another great effort from Monty, and solo run saw him lift onto the roof of the net just before HT. At HT I was confident if we could get ahead we would win and win well. We started the Second Half in the ascendancy and it was no surprise when a rampaging JCH saw his scuffed effort blocked, it looked to have run away from Dayton before rolling to a completely unmarked Adam who gleefully tapped home his second. Vale looked threatening at set-pieces and a shot from the edge of the box slammed narrowly wide. Latucs looked the more likely though and Monty was again denied twice, one a weak effort. A massive cheer went up when Hughes was subbed and to be fair, once Hughes and his histrionics had departed we looked well in control save a couple of set-pieces. Dayton who continues to be something of a worry due to just how lightweight he is - but his pressing run, cut inside and curling effort from 20 yards or so was the finest goal we've scored in quite some time. His slight build sometimes is an asset, other times it truly is an hidrance. We will have wrap him in cotton wool to get the best out of him.

Vale continued to have a go but Latics picked them off at will and could and should have won by a bigger margin, Jose was denied by a cracking save late on (although for the purpose of my bet I was more than pleased). A thoroughly deserved win and a very good performance, helped in no part by Port Vale themselves. Although The Vaiants put themselves about they came to play football and that meant we could play our own game and back ourselves to go tor to toe with the opposition. It was refreshing to see a team come to Boundary Park and not park the bus after going in front or in this case levelling. I truly can't see Ronnie doing this next week, he'll bring two bloody buses!

Ox - couple of cracking saves but doesn't command his area, the goal was a poor one as it simply went through his hands. Rachubka coming in to challenge is a smart move.

Brown - Refused to be intimated by Hughes and his theatrics, another solid game before his injury.

Tarky - Think he enjoyed that today, dominant in the air, assured on the deck.

Grounds - Have to say hasn't put a foot wrong in two games at CB so far.

Mills - LIke the look of him last week and added more to my initial view today, still looking to get upfield late on

Dayton - Still lightweight, but has a quality delivery and well his goal was outstanding

Wes - Started slowly, but he grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck from about 15 minuted in

Smith - A header on goal and a screamer just over, pushed us on at all times. Had a word with Connor when Hughes was trying it on

Monty - A threat all afternoon, great assist and deserved a goal

Adam - I said get the ball into him and he will score and he did….twice. could have easily had four, denied by a great save and his flick didn't quite come off. He'll push on

now.

JCH - Pre-season I said we had a helluva prospect, now 4,700 there today saw what he was about. A more mobile, aggressive and quicker version of Tonk - wrecking ball when he fancies it as the 2nd goal proved!

Subs:

Byrne - came on at the right time for me, assured steady

Jose - If he's not fully fit, nice time to come on and nearly added the icing to the cake.

Schmeltz - Was about to come on in injury time, but as I was :censored:ting myself about my bet, I can't remember whether he did or not?

All in all a very happy Latics fan tonight, not seen anything to dampen my enthusiasm so far this season. And having watched an extremely lucky and overhyped Wolves side last night, there's no reason why we can't stay in the top half this season.

The test though will be next week. Winless Tranmere absolutely dicked today will be looking for a manky 1-0 away win and come and shut up shop. It's up to LJ to get the better of Ronnie's hoof and spoiling tactics next week.

3 points in the bag and £213 richer, happy days!