Corney in 'Chron

I hope we didnt sell him for less than the release clause, still hurting from this!

But, if we did and it's funded Philliskirk, Kusunga, Rachubka and Rusnak, then it's strengthened the squad and we proved at Preston that we're not far off. I, along with most others, didn't want to see Baxter go, but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

I completely understand why this has happened and now I've leg the devastation I had die down a little and I've slept on it this move is definitely more beneficial to the club. However, Baxter was not 'surplus to requirements surely' him just behind Rooney would of worked wonders this season I feel, but we move on. Playing excellent football even without him so it doesn't matter I suppose! Love Jose though.

I can kind of see what Corney means by surplus to requirement, as Baxter's best position (attacking midfielder) is one where you'd need to build the rest of the team around him. Not necessarily beneficial to the rest of the players (especially Rooney) and the team as a whole. But I hope this comment doesn't come back to bite him, as Baxter is unquestionably the most talented player we had at the start of the season and players like that don't come along often, he could've been the difference maker in a fair few games this season. It also goes without saying that Corney needs to have sold him at the (allegedly) low release clause price, it wouldn't make sense not to.

I hope we didnt sell him for less than the release clause, still hurting from this!

I think the initial price was less but the overall price if all the clauses come in and Sheff U sell him for money could be more.

As I've said on here recently the CEO of the Sheff U holding company told a local journo that they paid more than £250k for Baxter. When I clarified with the journo he brought up add-ons.

In some ways I think it was a better bit of business by Corney than holding out for his release clause.

I think the initial price was less but the overall price if all the clauses come in and Sheff U sell him for money could be more.

As I've said on here recently the CEO of the Sheff U holding company told a local journo that they paid more than £250k for Baxter. When I clarified with the journo he brought up add-ons.

In some ways I think it was a better bit of business by Corney than holding out for his release clause.

It that's the case then I agree, a good bit of business for the club

Edited by BenRad

I can kind of see what Corney means by surplus to requirement, as Baxter's best position (attacking midfielder) is one where you'd need to build the rest of the team around him. Not necessarily beneficial to the rest of the players (especially Rooney) and the team as a whole. But I hope this comment doesn't come back to bite him, as Baxter is unquestionably the most talented player we had at the start of the season and players like that don't come along often, he could've been the difference maker in a fair few games this season. It also goes without saying that Corney needs to have sold him at the (allegedly) low release clause price, it wouldn't make sense not to.

My problem is that he has gone to a club which is a major threat to our possible promotion, and Baxter's goals for them could cost us.

I agree with Corney's statement. While JB was a godsend for us last season and contributed some great goals and assists he never really dominated, especially this season. It would also be fair to say that Lee Johnson would have had a major role in the decision to let Baxter go. The way we are playing at the moment that should be good enough.

I agree with Corney's statement. While JB was a godsend for us last season and contributed some great goals and assists he never really dominated, especially this season. It would also be fair to say that Lee Johnson would have had a major role in the decision to let Baxter go. The way we are playing at the moment that should be good enough.

Aye, managers love selling their most talented player, especially when it was 'our' choice to sell.

Aye, managers love selling their most talented player, especially when it was 'our' choice to sell.

Corney is no doubt right that we didn't need to sell, but we did in order to fill the gaps in the squad that we were all craving and that LJ wanted as well, namely a GK, CB, RB and Rusnak/Philiskirk

Royle sold players to get 2-3 others in and so it happens like that at other clubs and has done throughout history.

I have never had a problem with us selling players - for low fees? that's for another debate and we havent done too badly over recent times ala Trotman etc

selling players and replacing them is fine - we got rusnak in for baxter whilst also adding 3 others elsewhere - common sense

it's when we have sold players and never replaced them that has hurt us - here we have done that and more so no one can moan in the slightest.

YET AGAIN the chairman backs his manager :applause1:

Edited by shefflatic

All valid points Sheff but I'm struggling with the idea that our best player and top goalscorer last year suddenly became surplus to requirements a few games into the new season.

If Corney came out and said that we sold to allow strengthening of the squad then most people would understand and accept that, instead he pats us on the head again.

All valid points Sheff but I'm struggling with the idea that our best player and top goalscorer last year suddenly became surplus to requirements a few games into the new season.

If Corney came out and said that we sold to allow strengthening of the squad then most people would understand and accept that, instead he pats us on the head again.

Kind of what he said isn't it?

“We knew there was a good chance Jose would want to go,” Corney added. “We prepared for that by bringing in Danny Philliskirk. We brought in Matteo, who is a very good prospect, a guy in Genseric Kusunga who was playing in the Champions League two years ago, Joseph Mills on loan and another goalkeeper, Paul Rachubka.”

We were toss last year with Jose as our best player.

The only businessman I can remember telling his customers the truth was Gerald Ratner. That didn't work out so well.