Worse run

Is this our worse league run ever with a manager in the modern era ? Big joe 2nd time round wasn't good results wise but that was a team that he inherited. With league leaders next up another defeat looms ...2 wins 1 draw 6 defeats for 12 against 15

really? I wouldn't be surprised if we won next weekend. First points O's have dropped this season today and they played 10 men for a lot of the game, they'll be putting a bit more interest on "getting back to winning ways" and see us as an easy target for points. And knowing us, everything will click when we least expect it

We started the 00-01 season worse than this we had some abysmal form under Penney

You only have to go back to the start of the year under Dickov his last 9 league games yielded only 1 point.

The 98-99 team made this lot look like a hybrid of bayern Munich Barcelona and the 1970 Brazil team.

The football and results in 96-97 the worst season I have experienced were also far worse than this.

We started shezs first 2 seasons as bad if not worse than this and began to click in October

This team won't go up but we've had several worse than this.

Next week we face a team top of the table and unbeaten so far it's got a tics win written all over it

Edited by GlossopLatic

Last season's start: 1 win in 10 games.

Lets stop digging for negatives and get behind a manager who some are clearly expecting to produce a miracle in the first 9 games of his first ever start to a season as a manager.

1 of our strikers hits form and it'll be all positive on this forum cause we're creating plenty of good chances. It's so knee-jerk it's unbelievable.

We started the 00-01 season worse than this we had some abysmal form under Penney

You only have to go back to the start of the year under Dickov his last 9 league games yielded only 1 point.

The 98-99 team made this lot look like a hybrid of bayern Munich Barcelona and the 1970 Brazil team.

The football and results in 96-97 the worst season I have experienced were also far worse than this.

We started shezs first 2 seasons as bad if not worse than this and began to click in October

This team won't go up but we've had several worse than this.

Next week we face a team top of the table and unbeaten so far it's got a tics win written all over it

Don't know how anyone can say this until about Feb time.

This league is always so close it only takes 3-4 wins and you go from 14th to 8th and in with a chance

Come Feb time and we are where we are now i will agree with you, but at this stage anything can happen

I think that's the problem with the 'well trained', if you'll excuse the term, latics fan - always thinking the worst before it has or looks likely to happen and something LJ commented on when he arrived, about changing the mentality from downbeat and pessimism to optimisim and belief

All i've know to date is the cup wins and the 2 playoff losses but I always believe we can be 'that team' and should always aim to be rather than 'if it happens, great if not then no biggy; we're only ickle Oldham'; just like in the cup games we all as a collective feel we're in with a chance to nick a win and the atmosphere reflects it.

Yeovil have done it so it can be done, but aside from that as an example, where's the fun in not aiming to overachieve relative to the 'big clubs being up there'?

It can be done, HAS been done so we can do it too.

Bristol C and Sheff U are 'big clubs' - so what? Why is it that always the clubs with the 'budgets' 'will be up there'? Sure they can therefore have more players and amass more of the better players for our league, but just as Leyton Orient are proving (so far) budgets get you feck all. They have the history, but they are our equal on a playing perspective and i quite frankly think that sheff utd's team is genuinely a mid to lower league 1 team ability wise so i'm not suprised at all they are where they are.

Mcguire worth £4m????!!! do me a favour, he is a lanky clogger of a defender, Tarky is far far better than this guy. Another one hyped up because of 'who' he plays for.

11 blokes v 11 blokes at the end of the day and nothing or no one should be feared.

LJ takes some blame for the constant changing of key areas, strikers mainly as it is key to have partnerships - Ritchie and Marshall, Henry and Milligan, Jobson and Barrett etc

However, we are still learning as a team and so is LJ. Granted, we may not get promotion this season, but we can at least be optimistic, positive and enjoy the ride.

If we all sub-consciously 'know' we won't be promoted, as you put it, then aiming for it and not getting it will therefore not raise expectations and no one will be 'let down'; it'll simply be 'oh well, we gave it a go, maybe next year'

If we as fans keep positive and have positive ambitions ie challenging the top 6 and transmit this to the players with encouragement and positivity in defeat, the players and LJ believe the same; then we may just about become a collective and achieve something rather than being downbeat and berrating someone for missing a one on one or giving a throw in away - why is there always someone to blame?

Time to stop the pettyness and get some perspective - after all is in football at the end of the day, far worse things going on in the world

Lets just all remain positive come what may and keep backing the lads - it can only push them that bit further and maybe we will score first and go on a winning streak?

We can get in the top 6 - let's go for it - if we finish 13th trying, at least we didn't finish 13th trying to avoid the bottom 4

Get down to BP on saturday and cheer on the lads!!!

Edited by shefflatic

This league is always so close it only takes 3-4 wins and you go from 14th to 8th and in with a chance

Come Feb time and we are where we are now i will agree with you, but at this stage anything can happen

I think that's the problem with the 'well trained', if you'll excuse the term, latics fan - always thinking the worst before it has or looks likely to happen and something LJ commented on when he arrived, about changing the mentality from downbeat and pessimism to optimisim and belief

All i've know to date is the cup wins and the 2 playoff losses but I always believe we can be 'that team' and should always aim to be rather than 'if it happens, great if not then no biggy; we're only ickle Oldham'; just like in the cup games we all as a collective feel we're in with a chance to nick a win and the atmosphere reflects it.

Yeovil have done it so it can be done, but aside from that as an example, where's the fun in not aiming to overachieve relative to the 'big clubs being up there'?

Bristol C and Sheff U are 'big clubs' - so what? Why is it that always the clubs with the 'budgets' 'will be up there'? Sure they can therefore have more players and amass more of the better players for our league, but just as Leyton Orient are proving (so far) budgets get you feck all. They have the history, but they are our equal on a playing perspective and i quite frankly think that sheff utd's team is genuinely a mid to lower league 1 team ability wise so i'm not suprised at all they are where they are.

Mcguire worth £4m????!!! do me a favour, he is a lanky clogger of a defender, Tarky is far far better than this guy. Another one hyped up because of 'who' he plays for.

11 blokes v 11 blokes at the end of the day and nothing or no one should be feared.

LJ takes some blame for the constant changing of key areas, strikers mainly as it is key to have partnerships - Ritchie and Marshall, Henry and Milligan, Jobson and Barrett etc

However, we are still learning as a team and so is LJ. Granted, we may not get promotion this season, but we can at least be optimistic, positive and enjoy the ride.

If we all sub-consciously 'know' we won't be promoted, as you put it, then aiming for it and not getting it will therefore not raise expectations and no one will be 'let down'; it'll simply be 'oh well, we gave it a go, maybe next year'

If we as fans keep positive and have positive ambitions ie challenging the top 6 and transmit this to the players with encouragement and positivity in defeat, the players and LJ believe the same; then we may just about become a collective and achieve something rather than being downbeat and berrating someone for missing a one on one or giving a throw in away - why is there always someone to blame?

Time to stop the pettyness and get some perspective - after all is in football at the end of the day, far worse things going on in the world

Lets just all remain positive come what may and keep backing the lads - it can only push them that bit further and maybe we will score first and go on a winning streak?

We can get in the top 6 - let's go for it - if we finish 13th trying, at least we didn't finish 13th trying to avoid the bottom 4

Perfectly put. No more to be said.

Anyone else fancy a pre-emptive promotion party?

A few weeks ago we got beat by pne playing some of the best football I've seen in a long time and every man and his dog was raving how we were going to be pulling up trees and tearing teams a new arsehole!!! Now we are mega :censored:??? I'd rather have a season of a few big defeats and some big wins (which will come I'm sure) let's enjoy the ride because nobody knows for sure that come the end of season if we will be third or third bottom. Plus if we get ten wins before we get ten defeats I will put £20 in the playershare pot!!!!!

Did this really need quoting twice, my laptop doesnt have the memory to be able to process al the info...

A few weeks ago we got beat by pne playing some of the best football I've seen in a long time and every man and his dog was raving how we were going to be pulling up trees and tearing teams a new arsehole!!! Now we are mega :censored:??? I'd rather have a season of a few big defeats and some big wins (which will come I'm sure) let's enjoy the ride because nobody knows for sure that come the end of season if we will be third or third bottom. Plus if we get ten wins before we get ten defeats I will put £20 in the playershare pot!!!!!

I think that game was pivotal, in as much as it ebbed away some of the belief that the players had.

Add to that, the game at Rotherham, where a good victory with 10 men looked on the cards until their equalizer and late goal sapped the belief even more.

In both of those games, Latics had more than enough chances to take 6pts, but they got a big fat zero.

The foundations have been slightly shaken.

Rotherham were the only team to really rock the boat in terms of possession.

Johnson does need to decide on a starting front pairing and stick with it.

Confidence needs rebuilding.

I might change my mind in February but what I see at the moment is a team that will finish mid table

The players should be looking at every single game on an individual basis and going for a win.

We won't win every game but every game is winnable

Edited by GlossopLatic

Is this our worse league run ever with a manager in the modern era ? Big joe 2nd time round wasn't good results wise but that was a team that he inherited. With league leaders next up another defeat looms ...2 wins 1 draw 6 defeats for 12 against 15

To answer the OP original question, no - no its not.

Next.

Just looking at the table. If we fail to beat Orient next Saturday, we'll need 15 wins from the remaining 36 games to survive. Certainly a tough ask. Also concerning is the fact that 3 of the clubs below us - Sheff Utd, Coventry andBristol City are almost certain to finish above us, even though two of them have had really poor starts to the season.

Just looking at the table. If we fail to beat Orient next Saturday, we'll need 15 wins from the remaining 36 games to survive. Certainly a tough ask. Also concerning is the fact that 3 of the clubs below us - Sheff Utd, Coventry andBristol City are almost certain to finish above us, even though two of them have had really poor starts to the season.

Er... OMG

I'm sorry, but saying this is so typical of the negativity that fans allow themselves to fall into..you are placing the stumbling blocks already.

This is football and anything can happen in a relatively short period of time.

Sheff Utd have had large investment, bought our so-called "best player" yet sit proudly at the bottom of what, in effect, is Division Three, while Leyton Orient..un-fancied, unfashionable and relatively poor..sit proudly at the top.

Who is to say that it will not remain that way?

I would expect Sheff United to recover, but Coventry and Bristol City are both in a mess and may not. Besides, to use something like that in predicting what may happen to the league you also have to look at the teams above us - and I definitely see three or four who have every chance of fading after a good start and dropping below us.

Oddly enough, it seems to be the doom and gloomers who have the highest expectations. Just because we're not in the top 6/top half (in September for :censored:s sake) they start their boo boy tactics and predictions of relegation.

Those who are (or were) predicting a sudden transformation into a play-off challenging team need a reality check - there is absolutely no basis to expect us to do that well. I've said it before - I'll be happy if we're not in a relegation scrap with a few games to go. That would be suitable, incremental progress.

Edited by garcon

I would expect Sheff United to recover, but Coventry and Bristol City are both in a mess and may not. Besides, to use something like that in predicting what may happen to the league you also have to look at the teams above us - and I definitely see three or four who have every chance of fading after a good start and dropping below us.

Oddly enough, it seems to be the doom and gloomers who have the highest expectations. Just because we're not in the top 6/top half (in September for :censored:s sake) they start their boo boy tactics and predictions of relegation.

Those who are (or were) predicting a sudden transformation into a play-off challenging team need a reality check - there is absolutely no basis to expect us to do that well. I've said it before - I'll be happy if we're not in a relegation scrap with a few games to go. That would be suitable, incremental progress.

You would expect Sheff Utd to recover but, just like Latics, they seem to have the knack of conceding a goal or two that finishes them off. Their fans must be just as bewildered as we are. I don't expect promotion, I don't even think Latics will challenge because there are too many variables to get into place and settled before that happens.

Can't help but admire the positivity of people, does seem at odds with the current situation though.

No strikers, lack of leaders/talkers, little creativity.

Johnson can't be blamed, only doing what he can with the finance he's been given, time for Corney and co to step aside and allow someone who wants to invest to improve the squad to allow it to progress forwards.