Name a legend

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't just stand on the roof of the old Broadway stand, he ran up and down it keeping up with play without losing his "Billy Pot" hat. I'd love to have seen it.

read somewhere that he once so exited about a passage of play that he ran off the end of the roof

Neil Redfearn, for giving me the most gut wrenching and then mind blowing moment that I will ever experience at a game.

Bang on! For giving us that one unbelievable moment of ecstasy, Neil Redfearn nails on his status as a true Latics legend.

The only name on the list that jars with me is David Eyres. A Burnley and Blackpool great maybe, but Oldham? Really?

Give me Maurice Whittle, Ronnie Blair, Ricky Holden or Willy Donachie instead, any day.

Alan Groves for me. The best entertainer this club has ever had and is ever likely to have. David Eyres was a great player for us but not in the same league as Groves.Was probably also the player that made the difference in us winning the title in '74.

Would be fitting that Groves has a mention in one part of the ground where he would banter with the fans - the Ford Stand Paddock loved the guy.

As fine a player as David Eyres was (in the 3rd tier of English football for us) , his inclusion is solely for people under 30 to recognise somebody they saw play imo.

Does he really come above players such as

Neil Redfearn , for his dynamic midfield drive to the promised land and that penalty

Frank Bunn , still in the record books 24 years after his blitz of Scarborough

Dennis Irwin , the finest full back you will ever see

Ian Marshall , defender and goal scoring centre forward machine ,who's goals got us promoted at Ipswich

Andy Goram , Earl Barrett ....etc

I think not

Dennis Irwin , the finest full back you will ever see

I'm not knocking Dennis Irwin for a minute, who could with what he went on to achieve in the game. He may be a Manure legend but I still think Craig Fleming was the finest full back I ever saw in a Latics shirt.

Mind you, my favourite ever Latics player is Paul Rickers so i'm probably talking bollox ha ha.

Edited by Break The Silence

The Club are looking for a tenth legend:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20131004-bricks-1094653.aspx#uBRIJQJStMWt3VHA.99

Has to be Big Frankie Bunn for me. He was the catalyst for the good times in the 80s and 90s.

Can't believe Alan Groves not on the list ! Would have also suggested Simon Stainrod except wasn't with Latics long enough to be a "legend"

I'm not knocking Dennis Irwin for a minute, who could with what he went on to achieve in the game. He may be a Manure legend but I still think Craig Fleming was the finest full back I ever saw in a Latics shirt.

Mind you, my favourite ever Latics player is Paul Rickers so i'm probably talking bollox ha ha.

I remember Craig Fleming as being a terrific man marker, whose best position with us was centre half. Accomplished but not exceptional.

Dennis Irwin though, was possibly the only player I've seen come through Latics who could later be talked about as "World Class". He might have only reached those dizzy heights whilst at United, but for us he was a real Rolls Rolls player - outstanding at either left back or right back, and a major part of our success.

He also played 167 games for Oldham, so I'd definitely say he was one of our legends.

We all have our favourite players who we could nominate, but I agree with those who have nominated David Ashworth, and, even though he was before all our times, I would like to make out a case for his legendary status.

He was a Football League referee before being appointed the Club’s manager in 1906, when it returned to Boundary Park from Hudson Fold. Affectionately known as ‘Little Dave’, he was even smaller than Lee Johnson – only 5ft tall – but a man of great stature. For the 1907-08 season, he was given £20 by the Board with instructions to buy a winning team in the second division. He signed six players and still gave the directors 2s 6d (12.5p) change. That season Latics finished third and two seasons later the Club was promoted to the top flight.

Within four years of his appointment he had taken Latics (who were referred to as ‘Babes’) from the Lancashire Combination to the First Division of the Football League, and to the semi-final of the F.A. Cup. It was regarded as a fairy tale how such a young Club had reached the pinnacle of the football world against what had seemed overwhelming odds.

He wore a bowler hat (‘Billy pot’) and always watched matches from the flat roof of the Broadway (North) Stand, which was replaced by the Ford (Lookers) Stand. During a match against Leeds in 1908, he was running along the roof, keeping up with play, when he nearly ran off the end of the stand, ending in an undignified sitting position. He had a waxed moustache - after a victory he turned up both ends of his ‘tache, and turned them down after a defeat. A draw meant he turned one end up and one down.

10114643403_43d6856642.jpg

Courtesy of the Stewart W. Beckett book ‘The Team From A Town Of Chimneys Revisited’.

In 1910 Ashworth’s Latics were watched by a crowd of 34,000 at Boundary Park, which remained a record for twenty years. His efforts were rewarded in 1911 with the Club’s first close-season European tour, with games in Hungary and Austria, winning three, drawing one and losing two. On the return journey, the train carriage carrying the players and officials was derailed in Austria.

Surely a man who achieved so much for the Club and is so synonymous with the North Stand, needs to be recognised in the new version of the Stand by acknowledging his legendary status. You know it makes sense. :chubb:

If you agree, nominate David Ashworth by email to: jenny.warburton@oldhamathletic.co.uk

Or via the Club’s official facebook, twitter or instagram accounts, or by filling out a form in the Club shop.

I would be grateful if someone could link this post to the above-mentioned accounts, to give as many people as possible an insight into this man who did so much for Latics.

Whoever has the most nominations by 5pm on Friday, October 11th will take their place alongside the other legends:

Joe Royle

Andy Ritchie

Roger Palmer

Bert Lister

Bobby Johnstone

Eric Gemmell

Ian Wood

David Eyres

Jimmy Frizzell.

We all have our favourite players who we could nominate, but I agree with those who have nominated David Ashworth, and, even though he was before all our times, I would like to make out a case for his legendary status.

He was a Football League referee before being appointed the Club’s manager in 1906, when it returned to Boundary Park from Hudson Fold. Affectionately known as ‘Little Dave’, he was even smaller than Lee Johnson – only 5ft tall – but a man of great stature. For the 1907-08 season, he was given £20 by the Board with instructions to buy a winning team in the second division. He signed six players and still gave the directors 2s 6d (12.5p) change. That season Latics finished third and two seasons later the Club was promoted to the top flight.

Within four years of his appointment he had taken Latics (who were referred to as ‘Babes’) from the Lancashire Combination to the First Division of the Football League, and to the semi-final of the F.A. Cup. It was regarded as a fairy tale how such a young Club had reached the pinnacle of the football world against what had seemed overwhelming odds.

He wore a bowler hat (‘Billy pot’) and always watched matches from the flat roof of the Broadway (North) Stand, which was replaced by the Ford (Lookers) Stand. During a match against Leeds in 1908, he was running along the roof, keeping up with play, when he nearly ran off the end of the stand, ending in an undignified sitting position. He had a waxed moustache - after a victory he turned up both ends of his ‘tache, and turned them down after a defeat. A draw meant he turned one end up and one down.

10114643403_43d6856642.jpg

Courtesy of the Stewart W. Beckett book ‘The Team From A Town Of Chimneys Revisited’.

In 1910 Ashworth’s Latics were watched by a crowd of 34,000 at Boundary Park, which remained a record for twenty years. His efforts were rewarded in 1911 with the Club’s first close-season European tour, with games in Hungary and Austria, winning three, drawing one and losing two. On the return journey, the train carriage carrying the players and officials was derailed in Austria.

Surely a man who achieved so much for the Club and is so synonymous with the North Stand, needs to be recognised in the new version of the Stand by acknowledging his legendary status. You know it makes sense. :chubb:

If you agree, nominate David Ashworth by email to: jenny.warburton@oldhamathletic.co.uk

Or via the Club’s official facebook, twitter or instagram accounts, or by filling out a form in the Club shop.

I would be grateful if someone could link this post to the above-mentioned accounts, to give as many people as possible an insight into this man who did so much for Latics.

Whoever has the most nominations by 5pm on Friday, October 11th will take their place alongside the other legends:

Joe Royle

Andy Ritchie

Roger Palmer

Bert Lister

Bobby Johnstone

Eric Gemmell

Ian Wood

David Eyres

Jimmy Frizzell.

He's that much of a legend that I have never heard of him!!.

He's that much of a legend that I have never heard of him!!.

Which is why Diego has shared this.

But there are numerous books now about Latics' history and he's mentioned in nearly all of them.

Anyway DS, I voted for him yesterday.

Buggered if I know.

You could have really involved the fans here.

Two to Boundary Blues members. Two to Facebook. Two to Twitter. Two to owtb. Two to sponsors perhaps.

Sorry but disagree. Lots of same people on Facebook, Twitter, here so not testing wide opinion.

Boundary Blues ? Fine for favourite player (and then only of past few years) but Legends ? no.

And what if different sections came up with same two (or four/five) ? Still doesnt arrive at ten

Does anyone seriously say that the nine on the list so far shouldn't be there?

Sorry but disagree. Lots of same people on Facebook, Twitter, here so not testing wide opinion.

Boundary Blues ? Fine for favourite player (and then only of past few years) but Legends ? no.

And what if different sections came up with same two (or four/five) ? Still doesnt arrive at ten

Does anyone seriously say that the nine on the list so far shouldn't be there?

But there are ways of involving more people.