David Mellor

As mentioned above, can we risk giving Mellor or Winchester the run of games they need, in their best positions? Mellor in centre-mid ahead of Smith or Wes, Winchester at right-back ahead of Kusunga or Lanzoni (or even Brown)? I'm not even sure what Winchester's best position is, some good touches but also lacks pace and still too lightweight for me - remember him getting bullied out of it against Stevenage a couple of years ago and doesn't look any stronger now. Frustrating as they've both got some talent, especially Mellor but it's such a physical league unless you're a world-beater you need mental and physical strength and total commitment (which is why Wes makes a difference, despite not being the best on the ball) and I'm still not convinced by either - loaning them out seems the better option, short-term anyway, to see if they've got it.

Be nice to have a few more players coming through the youths - LJ not as bad as Dickov for loans, but agree we shouldn't be putting unproven lads like Petrasso & Plummer ahead of our own, unless they're going to improve the team a lot more than those two have - City must have some decent youth players but we haven't seen them yet...

I think the problem is Premiership and Championship club academy players mostly play within their own age group, reserves matches containing a smattering of experienced players seem to have all but disappeared.

Even at the Latics level the reserves league is not really useful as fixtures are few and far between.

When the youngsters have to step up they can find the physical intensity and pace of the game difficult.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was at the game yesterday , and yes he dident play well but the way he treated the fans when he came out after half-time was way out of order

he walked past the latics fans who clapped him and gave him encouragement ,the look he gave us as if we were a pile of dog -:censored: and couldent be arsed to even give a half-hearted clap back .

sorry we pay our hard earned money that plays your wages and had traveled down to london to support you and the team,

and if you think thats the way to treat people who were giving you support ,grow up

Sorry, you are completely wrong.

He did give a little clap to the fans as he walked past, looked humbled to be getting the applause to me.

was at the game yesterday , and yes he dident play well but the way he treated the fans when he came out after half-time was way out of order

he walked past the latics fans who clapped him and gave him encouragement ,the look he gave us as if we were a pile of dog -:censored: and couldent be arsed to even give a half-hearted clap back .

sorry we pay our hard earned money that plays your wages and had traveled down to london to support you and the team,

and if you think thats the way to treat people who were giving you support ,grow up

We don't know what's going on inside his head some people are uncomfortable with the limelight even if that's a a hundred fans clapping you.

These lads i.e.Mellor Winchester and Millar need our unqualified support on this public forum over the next 12 months of their development. Ok Winchester made a bad decision on the 4:1 break yesterday and Mellor had a problem,they are young lads trying to make their way in the game. What about the goal Winchester scored at BP earlier in the season.

I was as disappointed as anyone yesterday, but we played ok and nearly gained a very good point.Without being totally deluded happy clappers,llets get behind LJ and the boys because that's what many of them still are.

These lads i.e.Mellor Winchester and Millar need our unqualified support on this public forum over the next 12 months of their development. Ok Winchester made a bad decision on the 4:1 break yesterday and Mellor had a problem,they are young lads trying to make their way in the game. What about the goal Winchester scored at BP earlier in the season.

I was as disappointed as anyone yesterday, but we played ok and nearly gained a very good point.Without being totally deluded happy clappers,llets get behind LJ and the boys because that's what many of them still are.

Spot On!

This website has hit rock bottom.

Must say I think some of the comments on this thread are a little bit ridiculous. I actually agree with prozac about Winchester yesterday, wouldn't say MOM but I thought he was excellent. One of his crosses across the 6 yard box towards the end was dying for someone to get on the end of.

Well said. We all want to work with the squad nd bring youths through, not rely on loans all the time yes? Then from time to time we will have to play people out of position, too young or out of form. To then :censored: on them when they aren't world beaters doesn't say as much about them as it does about us

I did play with putting Tierney in there... Massive mistake that one.

I rated Tierney as a good league 1 player, very surprised he played in the top flight a lot but fair play to him.

But we let him go because Simon Charlton made that left back spot his own. Short-sighted not keeping Tierney? Maybe, but I can't remember many being gutted that he left.

All the players are up for debate are they not? I support them by proxy- because they play for my club. But unqualified support? Are they immune from discussion? Isn't that why we all come on here? For whatever reasons these lads are hit an miss. As are others in the squad. I hope they can find some consistency, an develop into the players we hope.

Feel for young David IF he is ill but the lad looks as if a good meal would kill him, picks up injuries quicker than A&E and really dont think the club should be saying "he couldn't run!" he is a pro athlete....????? It might well be true but a statement of "David has an underlying fitness issue we are working hard to get to the bottom of." gives him a chance. Can see next game idiots shouting. "Pick your legs up lad and run with em!" "Oi Bolt RUN!!!!!"

Seen him a few times away from club and he always looks tired. B&Q last time with his partner he actually dropped what he had in hand and didnt notice just walked on. My wife said "Hes a dozy booger" not knowing who he was. Hope he gets sorted and back on track for club and family.

He clearly wouldnt have these problems if he used TESCO....

That could be the fact he's just had a young child. I never knew what tiredness was until I recently had a child with severe colic..

I wasn't there but if Mellor himself indicated that he needed to leave the pitch and gave Johnson the reason why, then maybe he should be given some amount of credit for realizing the situation and that it wouldn't help the team any by him getting torn a new one down that side of the pitch. Would we rather he played on under par or have Winchester coming on and shoring things up?

Without knowing the reasons why, we can't just lay into a player because we think the worst..I know it is a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe the manager or club should be more forthcoming, if he has underlying problems with his health or if it is a personal issue which Mellor would rather keep private.

Either way, I am sure that it will be dealt with reasonably.

They all need game time. I'm not sure what Mellor and Winchester's best positions are (let LJ worry about that) but I'd rather see Mellor at left back than Plummer, who doesn't look any better.

Game time at left back, even if its not his preferred position, will be beneficial. Can loaning clubs include a "must play" clause in loan deals?

What a pathetic childish statement, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Sincerely hope you were referring to the original poster of this, not me - as I was quoting someone else; as strongly suggested by the quote marks (quoting someone else), and my rant on the previous post - the next one up!!!

I wasn't there but if Mellor himself indicated that he needed to leave the pitch and gave Johnson the reason why, then maybe he should be given some amount of credit for realizing the situation and that it wouldn't help the team any by him getting torn a new one down that side of the pitch. Would we rather he played on under par or have Winchester coming on and shoring things up?

Without knowing the reasons why, we can't just lay into a player because we think the worst..I know it is a knee-jerk reaction. Maybe the manager or club should be more forthcoming, if he has underlying problems with his health or if it is a personal issue which Mellor would rather keep private.

Either way, I am sure that it will be dealt with reasonably.

I assume he was feeling up to par in the pre match warm up so felt fit enough to start the match.