Safe Standing

"Build new north stand, pull down main stand, build a single tiered safe standing stand where old main stand was. Happy days"

I'd suggest most of the people in that stand are older (I'm an exception). Most would rather sit.

My dad for example wouldn't want to go back to standing, but feels there should be a place for those that do.

The Chaddy is in my opinion the best place to do it.

safe-standing.jpg

I presume the above is an example of safe standing or rail seating, which looks like it would cost a lot to introduce.

Pukka is right, the majority of fans in the main stand are of the older variety. You would really give them something to moan about if you tried to introduce (safe) standing. The obvious place is the Chaddy - funds permitting of course!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wouldn't need the rail seats, they're only there in Germany so when the team plays in Europe they put the seats down to comply with UEFA rules. It's not required in domestic competitions.

So youre suggesting we won't be playing in Europe any time soon then? Doom and Gloom all over here isnt it ;)

We wouldn't need the rail seats, they're only there in Germany so when the team plays in Europe they put the seats down to comply with UEFA rules. It's not required in domestic competitions.

I think domestically they use them for ticketing purposes so everyone has a seat number and no over sale or over crowded areas happen.

I think domestically they use them for ticketing purposes so everyone has a seat number and no over sale or over crowded areas happen.

That was the reasoning why I thought they had them too. The football league isn't just going to allow clubs to rip out all their seats in stands and replace them with long handrails on every 2/3 rows running stand. The Hillsborough brigade would go nuts and never allow it. It would have to be done in a proper and organised manner.

What amazes me about this debate is that it is absolutely clear and accepted that standing is NOT dangerous or it would have been banned post Hillsborough.....a good proportion of lower league clubs and I imagine the majority of non league clubs have standing....did I really risk my life at Crawley and Brentford this season??!!

It is certainly true that changes were needed after Hillsborough but as is often the case in this country the arguments become polarised and it is non-PC to suggest standing can return (even though it never went away).

Frankly, standing should be allowed in any ground that meets the modern safety standards and, tragic as it was, Hillsborough should not frame every decision based on emotion when standing itself was not the primary cause.

What amazes me about this debate is that it is absolutely clear and accepted that standing is NOT dangerous or it would have been banned post Hillsborough.....a good proportion of lower league clubs and I imagine the majority of non league clubs have standing....did I really risk my life at Crawley and Brentford this season??!!

It is certainly true that changes were needed after Hillsborough but as is often the case in this country the arguments become polarised and it is non-PC to suggest standing can return (even though it never went away).

Frankly, standing should be allowed in any ground that meets the modern safety standards and, tragic as it was, Hillsborough should not frame every decision based on emotion when standing itself was not the primary cause.

Lord Justice Taylor’s interim recommendation for a 15% reduction in the capacity of football ground terraces was implemented and immediately removed the overcrowding problem.

Just because you think it shouldn't does not mean it actually is like that. The Hillsborough campaigners and people that were affected will always have a voice in this.

Theres no issue when stands are half-empty like is usually, but in the cases of matches where grounds are reaching capacity you do need some form of control there. Of course we're never going to have another Hillsborough with rid of the silly fences, but there will still be havoc in the stands if there is nothing to limit the crowds in there. There are many ways it can be easily done, but that doesn't mean if safe standing is to be introduced the government and football league shouldnt do it properly, investigate it and lay down the requirements for all clubs to meet should they want standing. Not all clubs are fully competent afer all.

Edited by joncurtis199

I just don't think it would work unless we had the rail seat number system as compulsory. That said imagine running late and having to find your 'place' in the stand when its full?

My other worry is that I like how football has priced a certain element out of the game and its more enjoyable to take family to now.

I worry that standing would lower prices and welcome back some of the lesser desirables and bring back some of the less welcome traits of yester year.

That said I enjoy standing but would rather keep the prices in line with current trends if it meant keeping the scroats out of football. I just think places like Oldham could do without too many £10 season ticket folk coming on matchdays and be more hassle than its worth.

Chaddy for away fans. Still worse acoustics than RRE

RRE for home fans, part seated , part standing

A new Chaddy would have good accoustics, no need to move.

I have no objection to standing areas, there was no need to remove them in the first place. Those rail standing/seating areas are not needed. Just put the old style barriers back.

I have no objection to standing areas, there was no need to remove them in the first place. Those rail standing/seating areas are not needed. Just put the old style barriers back.

But, what about when we're in the Champions League in 2018?

Wasn't this idea later shuned or has something happened more recently?

As much as I and others agree with you, I can't see them ever reverting back in England because of previous events and the PC brigade in charge. They've well and truly killed the idea. I think fans in Scotland and England need to fight for the little they've got left, i.e. the rail seating/standing solution.

Really admire Babelsberg's way of tackling the issue. Families wanted somewhere to sit whilst more dedicated wanted to stand. So...

im4ilc.jpg

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

I just don't think it would work unless we had the rail seat number system as compulsory. That said imagine running late and having to find your 'place' in the stand when its full?

My other worry is that I like how football has priced a certain element out of the game and its more enjoyable to take family to now.

I worry that standing would lower prices and welcome back some of the lesser desirables and bring back some of the less welcome traits of yester year.

That said I enjoy standing but would rather keep the prices in line with current trends if it meant keeping the scroats out of football. I just think places like Oldham could do without too many £10 season ticket folk coming on matchdays and be more hassle than its worth.

^^

Huge generalisation. I'm a student and therefore struggle to stump up the funds required for matches on a regular basis. I behave just as well as the next man at a football match and am there to watch the game, not for a scrap. This is is exactly the same for my friends who I often go with.

Safe standing with subsequent lower prices would make it much more affordable for us and I'd welcome it.

Really admire Babelsberg's way of tackling the issue. Families wanted somewhere to sit whilst more dedicated wanted to stand. So...

Why do you think families are less committed? Paying for three or four tickets a time smacks of commitment to me

Why do you think families are less committed? Paying for three or four tickets a time smacks of commitment to me

Couldn't think of a better word for "mental, flare-waving ultras" at the time... Only realised now actually, tah for that.

As to what the student above wrote though affordability is a problem Latics need to tackle. I think finding a method to reduce ticket prices should be a priority and the addition of this standing method would be a huge boost even with the cut ticket prices.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

How does standing reduce ticket costs?

Or is it purely dependant on the assumption that crowds will grow due to terracing, thus ticket prices could in effect be reduced?

Assumption sadly.

We get terraces, fans starting singing, people walking past are impressed, they pay to get in, ground becomes full, club gets rich from turnstile count, promoted, lose to Brentford in CL final - the standing dream.